The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 27, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #4,516 of 6,351
While not a new headphone, I did change the pads on my A990Z to geekria velour pads ($18) and honestly this changed them for the better, they gained a much more neutral and natural sound signature (it reined in the treble and the bass is better under control now but still solid and strong), they now remind me a bit of my R70X; but still spending time with them, was just surprised how well these pads worked out, it also improved the comfort a lot.

60FC2EC1-3B27-479E-92C1-74B3FC5F751E.jpeg

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #4,517 of 6,351
My Sony MDR-Z7M2 cans arrived yesterday and I began to listen to them with their delightful comfort .....wow.......another song another source, and some shivers.........and a smile on my face.........and joy........and....another song....and another, another, more songs wonderful and a movie and.........satisfaction.......all on the first night.

May 28, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #4,518 of 6,351
Hi all,

I need a recommendation. I've been out of fullsize HP and desktop systems for some time (still own them but don't listen as often), and have been mostly on portable setup (DAP/IEM).

My ears have been hurting lately and i want to take a break from IEMs for a while and go to portable HPs, but stay on DAPs. I currently have MDR-1AM2 but want something better.

I want smaller size cans so I can use while lying in bed, light weight (pref. <250g), comes with 4.4 cable OOTB, lower imp/higher sen., and budget (pref. <1k).

I have ATH-WP900 in mind, but would like to know what other options are available.

Thanks all.

May 31, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #4,519 of 6,351
Just recently acquired a pair of closed back Focal Elegia...took a few days to settle in (was either me or the phones) and talked about them elsewhere but thought I'd share a brief comparison with my other closed back, the AKG K872s. So far finding them a decent compliment to one another, where the AKG have a much more at arms length linear and layered soundscape overlooking the performance (my preference) the Elegia put you right up front, so that the performer is inside your head, this works great for pieces with a central performer/singer, Cat Stevens "Tea for The Tillerman" for example, putting a bigger than life singer between your ears but a bit too much for wide stage performances, think "Spirit Chaser" by Dead Can Dance, orchestral or jazz ensembles
The Focal is also a bit of a mixed bag with something like Dave Brubeck's "Take Five", starts off with a decent width to the sound stage and full bodied central sax but on some tracks the piano takes too much of a step forward, the K872s on the other hand maintains it's stature. The AKG are also IMHO way more linear on tonal values, less congested, offering clear and distinct instrument/performer layering, depth and width to the sound-stage and for my preferences perfect with the majority of recordings.
Both phones when properly sealed can give more than adequate base, this was quite evident with "Shroomeez" Infected Mushroom and "Carnival of Peculiarities" Shpongle...oddly the Elegia had no problem maintaining a wide sound-stage and some layering with this album. Sibilance or upper harmonic stridency was not evident of either phone (keep in mind I'm a oldie :)) but the K872 will be less than lenient with poor recordings or equipment.
So... two closed back but very different phones in styling, function, material, wear and overall sonic performance..... as I mentioned "a compliment to one another".:smile_phones:

Elegia:K872.jpg

albums.jpg

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #4,520 of 6,351
I don't know if this is true to all Focal headphones, but when I had the Elear (which I really liked but had to give up as open cans just don't work for my normal listening situations) I remember them having quite a distinct left, centre, right soundstage. As in, there wasn't too much that occurred in between those spaces. I didn't dislike it, but it was certainly unusual.

May 31, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,521 of 6,351
Been looking for a closed back for under 350 used

May 31, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,522 of 6,351
I don't know if this is true to all Focal headphones, but when I had the Elear (which I really liked but had to give up as open cans just don't work for my normal listening situations) I remember them having quite a distinct left, centre, right soundstage. As in, there wasn't too much that occurred in between those spaces. I didn't dislike it, but it was certainly unusual.
The Elear being opened back that's somewhat sad to hear, for a closed back the AKG K872 come across, relatively speaking, as an opened back phone with an expansive sound stage in width and depth (very close to the opened back K812s), more so IMHO than most opened back phones. lol
The Elegia do sound somewhat to how you describe the Elear but are not too bad, although quite a few recording don't recede the head boundaries so there is a fair amount of density between the ears.. it's surprising though when a few do, listening to Dave Hollands "Conference of the Birds" there is even some distinct layering going on up and beyond the outside boundaries of my head. The drivers themself appear to be rather linear so I'm wondering if the ear cups may be the problem here, maybe a change in the internal shape or damping might ameliorate the situation.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/77646103

May 31, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #4,523 of 6,351
What source do you intend to use, which genres do you listen to? That might be helpful in suggesting something.
Off the top of my mind I'd suggest looking into the new Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X, which has an MSRP of 249€. Shameless plug: I'm selling mine for 199€.
Another option might be the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 if you're after a balanced yet lively studio signature.

May 31, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #4,524 of 6,351
What source do you intend to use, which genres do you listen to? That might be helpful in suggesting something.
Off the top of my mind I'd suggest looking into the new Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X, which has an MSRP of 249€. Shameless plug: I'm selling mine for 199€.
Another option might be the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 if you're after a balanced yet lively studio signature.
I will be running them off of my SMSL 6 stack, and my geshelli balanced out amp and topping d10 balanced dac. Just running through optical from tv listening to Spotify. I have the beyer 177x Go. Looking to get rid of those and try something new. I just tried the focal Elegia and was not the biggest fan. Don’t really know why just didn’t really get into them like I thought I would. Thanks! Chris

May 31, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,525 of 6,351
You might want to check out the Shure SRH-1540. Great headphone for the money ($450-500 new, $250-300 pre-owned).

Versatile, top-notch comfort, good build quality, pretty easy to drive. Slightly dark sound signature with some warmth/bass tilt, forgiving with less-than-optimal recordings- but scales quite well with quality source/amp gear.

May 31, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #4,526 of 6,351
You might want to check out the Shure SRH-1540. Great headphone for the money ($450-500 new, $250-300 pre-owned).

Versatile, top-notch comfort, good build quality, pretty easy to drive. Slightly dark sound signature with some warmth/bass tilt, forgiving with less-than-optimal recordings- but scales quite well with quality source/amp gear.
I’ve never had a pair of shures. I was really hoping to enjoy the focal elegia. But just couldn’t get into them like I wanted too. I’m wanting to sell/switch to a different closed back. Have plenty of open backs that I love but want to try a new closed back

May 31, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #4,527 of 6,351
@ctjacks336 The Shure recommended by @AudioDuck is a good idea as well. I had those once, very comfortable, engaging sound signature and robust.

Personally I didn't like any of the current Focal models either... their impulse response has something very aggressive to them, they snap too much for my taste.

May 31, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #4,528 of 6,351
@ctjacks336 The Shure recommended by @AudioDuck is a good idea as well. I had those once, very comfortable, engaging sound signature and robust.

Personally I didn't like any of the current Focal models either... their impulse response has something very aggressive to them, they snap too much for my taste.
Been look at the aeon RT closed as well. Something cheap the Hifiman r7dx,I was looking at. I was just so disappointed with the focal that I got,shame I felt that way.

May 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #4,529 of 6,351
I was just so disappointed with the focal that I got,shame I felt that way.
No need to be ashamed. We all have different tastes and needs, that's why there are so many models available. It's no problem if something others love doesn't sound good to your ears. Actually its really hard to decide by others' impressions... that may help narrowing the selection down to a few models, but then its all about trying them out yourself. And even if sound signature could be described well enough, comfort is a very personal thing...

May 31, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #4,530 of 6,351

Yep. SRH1540 is a great option. ATH-wp900 didn't work out for me and i wanted something better than the MDR-1AM2. So I pulled out my SRH1540 from storage and it's been sounding great. The only thing that I wish were different is the boosted bass. If it was toned down a bit, it would been perfect. Oh and it's not really portable. I just ordered a balanced cable from LQI to use with my DAP.

Too bad there aren't too many closedback portable option. I would love to see a HP in 1AM2 footprint but with better SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back