The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 31, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #4,531 of 6,385
+4 for the 1540s. Had my set for 6 years now.

On a totally unrelated note, I've realised that all my (relative) top gear is coming up to a decade since their release; Dangerous Music Source, Shure SE846 and Fostex TH900. All acquired within the last 3-4 years. With the exponential speed at which this hobby is progressing, it was an interesting musing on my purchasing choices when a seemingly endless numbers of newer models were also available.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #4,532 of 6,385
Yep. SRH1540 is a great option. ATH-wp900 didn't work out for me and i wanted something better than the MDR-1AM2. So I pulled out my SRH1540 from storage and it's been sounding great. The only thing that I wish were different is the boosted bass. If it was toned down a bit, it would been perfect. Oh and it's not really portable. I just ordered a balanced cable from LQI to use with my DAP.

Too bad there aren't too many closedback portable option. I would love to see a HP in 1AM2 footprint but with better SQ.
Thanks! I am looking for something to use for the house.just relaxing/gaming for sometime at night before I doze off

May 31, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #4,533 of 6,385
Thanks! I am looking for something to use for the house.just relaxing/gaming for sometime at night before I doze off
Based on that, the Shure definitely fits the bill. 😊

May 31, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #4,535 of 6,385
MDR-Z1R are my current favorite universal headphones. They sound great with all genres, and have a surprisingly wide soundstage for close backs.

7A2BB530-5737-493D-8BAD-604CCE1EC311.jpeg

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #4,538 of 6,385
Heavily considering the Shure 1540 and Sony Z7M2 — they retail for the exact same price here… any advice?

Looking for a comfortable set of closed-backs with a pleasing tuning (subjective, I know!).
Well I have the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and just ordered the Shure 1540 as above post so I will be able to compare them.

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #4,539 of 6,385
Well I just bought some like new Shure SRH1540 cans off ebay.....looking forward to listening to them.

Shure SRH1540.jpg
Congratulations! Any impressions once you have them and have been listening enough to form an opinion are always appreciated!

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #4,540 of 6,385
Hmm, thought I'd find a pair of cheap closed-backs that are good enough for me and say I'm done with full-sized headphones, but now I'm intrigued by the SRH1540s.

How do they handle mids, vocals especially? I need vocals in particular to be full-bodied, maybe even unrealistically so, and pushed forward. I still like a warmer, darker signature since I like bass and I'm sensitive to treble, but more than anything, I'm starting to realize that I need a good body, even thickness to the mids.

edit: actually wouldn't mind closed-back recs under let's say 500 along those lines, if you've got them--leaning towards warmer and darker with a forward or "intimate", full-bodied mids, especially vocals. Want to hear those singers inside my head!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #4,541 of 6,385
Hmm, thought I'd find a pair of cheap closed-backs that are good enough for me and say I'm done with full-sized headphones, but now I'm intrigued by the SRH1540s.

How do they handle mids, vocals especially? I need vocals in particular to be full-bodied, maybe even unrealistically so, and pushed forward. I still like a warmer, darker signature since I like bass and I'm sensitive to treble, but more than anything, I'm starting to realize that I need a good body, even thickness to the mids.

edit: actually wouldn't mind closed-back recs under let's say 500 along those lines, if you've got them--leaning towards warmer and darker with a forward or "intimate", full-bodied mids, especially vocals. Want to hear those singers inside my head!
Shure is primarily a pro audio and microphone company. They know what they're doing with voices.

Overall the 1540 is mostly neutral-ish but with a noticeable bass hump IMHO

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #4,545 of 6,385

The mids aren't presented artificially forward in the mix, but they are on the fuller side rather than thin. Shure has always been known (by me lol) for their mids. They just do them incredibly well. It's evident in my SE846 and SE215, too. I personally prefer the sound of the 1540 with Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads, which also have a larger opening than the stock Alcantaras, so bear them in mind if you find your elf ears don't have space in the stock ones :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back