The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #4,291 of 6,329
Yes, the Noire was/is very good and clean, perhaps a bit dull but very open-back sounding for a closed-back. I sent it back due to some comfort issues (strong side clamp). It did impress me so much that I tried an Ether C Flow 1.1 next and was instantly sold to the differences. Later down the road I acquired the Ether CX that I tried with Dekoni TH-900 sheepskin pads. To my surprise those pads complete the CX (never tried them while I had the C Flow 1.1 though ,which I regret now). Both the noire and Ether CX sound like open-back high quality headphones with the CX fitting bigger heads just a bit better imo.
As someone who's been considering the Noires who also has a big head, this is the first time I've seen the comfort of the Noires be criticized. Is that side clamp just something you can't adjust at all? (for comparison, I find the clamp of the HD6XXs to be just about perfect, though a lot of people find them a bit too strong)

The power doesn't worry me to much, as I think my DAP should be good enough with a balanced cable.

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #4,293 of 6,329
As someone who's been considering the Noires who also has a big head, this is the first time I've seen the comfort of the Noires be criticized. Is that side clamp just something you can't adjust at all? (for comparison, I find the clamp of the HD6XXs to be just about perfect, though a lot of people find them a bit too strong)

The power doesn't worry me to much, as I think my DAP should be good enough with a balanced cable.
With new pads the thing gave me bad headaches just by wearing them... I can wear Beyerdynamics, Kennertons, Focals and the Ether without issues though :)

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #4,294 of 6,329
Hey guys and gals! New head fier here but been lurking and basing purchase decisions off here since 2008 lol. I've read this amazing thread since post #1 and it's one of the reasons for me to finally register. Very nice and helpful people here.
I have a Lawton modded X00. It used to have ebony stock cups, and just last month I installed the Lawton rattlesnake bocote cups. Timbre and tonality fits my preference perfectly. I would not have known about Lawton Audio if not for this thread.
Lastly, this thread made me... come out of the basshead closet. Whew I finally said it lol.

Cheers,
Albert

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #4,295 of 6,329
Do you plan to go to Canjam Singapore? What do you think of the ES-R10? Are you going to try them? (due to your resurrection, I have to ask that :smiling_imp:)
You know what? I completely forgot that CanJam is happening this weekend; I actually thought - mistakenly so - that the exhibition was to be held on the following weekend (Apr 9-10)!

I already have something planned for the whole of Saturday and the first-half of Sunday. If I'm able to drop by, I could probably only roam the halls for the last 2-3 hours of the show.

Thankfully, there isn't anything extremely compelling to try, from the closed-back side of things, at least. :wink:

My wallet is safe.... or is it not? :eyes:

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #4,296 of 6,329
I’ve tried the expensive Denon 9200 but I don’t think it is worth all that money… I’m interested in upgrading my Shure 1540 but really can’t find something similar. Any suggestion?
Try a Focal, maybe? The Radiance might be a good fit.; it certainly eschews the treble intensity that the AH-D9200 is quite notorious for.

I second @AudioDuck's suggestion, too - the ZMF Atticus is a great choice. They are both warm and full-bodied, with delicious texture in the lows.

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #4,297 of 6,329
You know what? I completely forgot that CanJam is happening this weekend; I actually thought - mistakenly so - that the exhibition was to be held on the following weekend (Apr 9-10)!

I already have something planned for the whole of Saturday and the first-half of Sunday. If I'm able to drop by, I could probably only roam the halls for the last 2-3 hours of the show.

Thankfully, there isn't anything extremely compelling to try, from the closed-back side of things, at least. :wink:

My wallet is safe.... or is it not? :eyes:
There is always new sauce memes to try at canjam, Also the questionably good bass meme R9 from hifiman.

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #4,298 of 6,329
There is always new sauce memes to try at canjam, Also the questionably good bass meme R9 from hifiman.
Well... I guess I could spare a few hours to try the various poisons on offer at the Pan Pacific, right? After all, what could go wrong?

- Famous last words before being roasted in a kiln by the angry wife

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #4,299 of 6,329
Well... I guess I could spare a few hours to try the various poisons on offer at the Pan Pacific, right? After all, what could go wrong?

I’ve been debating quietly buying a used ZMF Eikon this week at the risk of serious spousal anger, so apparently I don’t even need an event to get myself in trouble… 🙄🤣

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #4,300 of 6,329

Hahaha... My wife outright banned me after I said I should spend before GST hike kicks in...

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,301 of 6,329
While my D9200 has been my top closed-back for quite a while, I have truly been enjoying the Kennerton GH 50 JM Edition. I know it is not a new HP but it is an enjoyable one. I wanted to share some photos and info.

GH 50 JM Edition

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #4,302 of 6,329
While my D9200 has been my top closed-back for quite a while, I have truly been enjoying the Kennerton GH 50 JM Edition. I know it is not a new HP but it is an enjoyable one. I wanted to share some photos and info.

GH 50 JM Edition
I own and like both headphones. While the D9200 is noticeably more resolving and detailed, I've been using the GH50 more lately because of a more controlled treble and more enjoyable bass. I prefer the mids of the D9200. But the GH50 has a much better soundstage. The D9200 is lighter. But the GH50's headband is more comfortable. Both headphones are roughly in the same price range. Both headphones have room for improvement. The D9200 is a fairly balanced headphone. The GH50 is a fairly organic headphone.

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,303 of 6,329
I own and like both headphones. While the D9200 is noticeably more resolving and detailed, I've been using the GH50 more lately because of a more controlled treble and more enjoyable bass. I prefer the mids of the D9200. But the GH50 has a much better soundstage. The D9200 is lighter. But the GH50's headband is more comfortable. Both headphones are roughly in the same price range. Both headphones have room for improvement. The D9200 is a fairly balanced headphone. The GH50 is a fairly organic headphone.
Me too! Do you have the OG or JM Edition of the GH 50?

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #4,305 of 6,329
Just to add to the above, in the end, it comes down to what you enjoy more and what you want to spend more time with. In my case, I've been spending more time with the GH50 MKII lately. This is simply because I feel like it gives me a movie theater kind of experience, as if I am surrounded by large speakers.

I am currently listening to Trigger by Kavinsky. I love the 80s sci-fi vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back