The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #4,276 of 6,351
By the way, I know this isn't a closed-back, but knowing the folks at ZMF (paging you, @zach915m), a closed version of the Atrium can't be too far behind, right? :wink:

To be honest, I was aiming for the Stellia, but, a new closed flagship from ZMF on the horizon makes for a highly-compelling alternative. In fact, it'll rocket to the top of the "Must Try, Let's Buy!" charts. :sweat_smile:
Do you plan to go to Canjam Singapore? What do you think of the ES-R10? Are you going to try them? (due to your resurrection, I have to ask that :smiling_imp:)

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #4,277 of 6,351
20220324_181626.jpg20220324_191741.jpg20220324_181559~2.jpg
Just in...will be sending these JM versions in for a little MKII love...

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #4,278 of 6,351
Hi,
Those last 5 months i was searching for MY precious closed-back to join MY beloved Sundara.
I started with an AKG K371. It was not my taste (too lean with no soul). Then i jumped to a Focal Radiance. Great but too bright and energetic for my hyper treble sensitive ears. Then i thought i've found the Graal with a DCA Noire. But after a few days my ears did not let me another choice then to move (less energetic then the Radiance but still too bright as i did not want to use the pads). Then i got a Beyerdynamic T5 3rd thinking that the smooth upper mids and treble will be ok. I liked it but then i've got too much pressure in my ears. Was it the elevated bass or something else ? My new Beyerdynamic is now for sale in my classifieds...
During those 5 months i was also able to try a Denon Ah-D7200, an Audeze LCD-XC and a Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X... but they were not for me...
So for now i will just slow down and wait for MY precious closed-back to come. It will need to have a Sundara like midrange and treble (with no peaks but also still clear and crisp with a nice tonality). A little more bass will be welcome but not too much. May be this closed-back already exists?!?
Anyway wish you all a good day😀

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #4,279 of 6,351
Then i jumped to a Focal Radiance. Great but too bright and energetic for my hyper treble sensitive ears.
Hi there,

What is your source and amplification? (Apologies if I missed that)

I ask because synergy is vital in many cases, and because I’m surprised to see the Radiance described as “bright and energetic”…

I have treble-sensitivity as well, and have used the Radiance with the Violectric V200 and Feliks Audio Echo. It’s energetic, indeed, but far from bright with these amps. If anything it’s quite warm and laid-back.

We all hear things differently, of course- I’m just wondering if it’s a synergy issue. 😊

Best of luck in your search!

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #4,280 of 6,351
What is your source and amplification? (Apologies if I missed that)
Aune X1s GT in 6.3mm as the Radiance is very sensitive. Bit-perfect Qobuz through a smartphone and UAPP.
We all hear things differently, of course- I’m just wondering if it’s a synergy issue. 😊
Thanks for asking. I think i'm really treble sensible be it upper mids or treble. I don't have this feeling with the Sundara who's generally considerated brighter then the Radiance. This is what i wrote concerning the Radiance some time ago:
I agree that the Radiance is not treble-intensive but the overall tonality leans to the clear (bright) side (IMO). When i look at the FR i see a raised upper midrange around 3k and a peak at 6k and then some air around 12-13k. Sure all of this is necessary with the elevated bass but the result is a little fatiguing to my treble sensitive ears...
Best of luck in your search!
Thanks👍😀

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #4,282 of 6,351
Hi,
Those last 5 months i was searching for MY precious closed-back to join MY beloved Sundara.
I started with an AKG K371. It was not my taste (too lean with no soul). Then i jumped to a Focal Radiance. Great but too bright and energetic for my hyper treble sensitive ears. Then i thought i've found the Graal with a DCA Noire. But after a few days my ears did not let me another choice then to move (less energetic then the Radiance but still too bright as i did not want to use the pads). Then i got a Beyerdynamic T5 3rd thinking that the smooth upper mids and treble will be ok. I liked it but then i've got too much pressure in my ears. Was it the elevated bass or something else ? My new Beyerdynamic is now for sale in my classifieds...
During those 5 months i was also able to try a Denon Ah-D7200, an Audeze LCD-XC and a Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X... but they were not for me...
So for now i will just slow down and wait for MY precious closed-back to come. It will need to have a Sundara like midrange and treble (with no peaks but also still clear and crisp with a nice tonality). A little more bass will be welcome but not too much. May be this closed-back already exists?!?
Anyway wish you all a good day😀
If the noire is close to your preference perhaps try the ether cx as well. My quest ended there.

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #4,283 of 6,351
I think I've decided to go with the Radiance. It would be extremely helpful if someone could shed some light on the differences between the Magni and the Radiance. I've mentioned this before, but I found the Magni just a little too harsh bright in the upper mids and lower treble. So, I'd like to know how these two headphones differ within those frequencies mostly, but a little more information would be greatly appreciated as well.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #4,284 of 6,351
I’ve tried the expensive Denon 9200 but I don’t think it is worth all that money… I’m interested in upgrading my Shure 1540 but really can’t find something similar. Any suggestion?

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4,286 of 6,351
Did you try both?
Yes, the Noire was/is very good and clean, perhaps a bit dull but very open-back sounding for a closed-back. I sent it back due to some comfort issues (strong side clamp). It did impress me so much that I tried an Ether C Flow 1.1 next and was instantly sold to the differences. Later down the road I acquired the Ether CX that I tried with Dekoni TH-900 sheepskin pads. To my surprise those pads complete the CX (never tried them while I had the C Flow 1.1 though ,which I regret now). Both the noire and Ether CX sound like open-back high quality headphones with the CX fitting bigger heads just a bit better imo.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #4,287 of 6,351
I’ve tried the expensive Denon 9200 but I don’t think it is worth all that money… I’m interested in upgrading my Shure 1540 but really can’t find something similar. Any suggestion?
My first thought is the ZMF Atticus, if your amp has the power to drive a 300 Ohm headphone well. An Atticus is usually $800-900 USD pre-owned.

Mind you, I have the 1540 and the Auteur, NOT the Atticus, so I am going off reading a lot of reviews/descriptions and some input from Zach as well (re: Atticus vs. Eikon).

From everything I’ve read, Atticus is an excellent headphone for rock/pop- warm, rich midrange and powerful mid-bass while the treble is laid-back. It’s not as detailed/resolving vs. Auteur or, say, Stellia- but it is more forgiving with poor recordings.

The other alternative I’d suggest (based on experience) is the Focal Radiance, if you can find one. About the same price, similar in signature (I owned one), but lighter and VERY comfortable. Also easier to drive.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #4,288 of 6,351
Yes, the Noire was/is very good and clean, perhaps a bit dull but very open-back sounding for a closed-back. I sent it back due to some comfort issues (strong side clamp). It did impress me so much that I tried an Ether C Flow 1.1 next and was instantly sold to the differences. Later down the road I acquired the Ether CX that I tried with Dekoni TH-900 sheepskin pads. To my surprise those pads complete the CX (never tried them while I had the C Flow 1.1 though ,which I regret now). Both the noire and Ether CX sound like open-back high quality headphones with the CX fitting bigger heads just a bit better imo.
Good to know, thanks. I’m only looking for a single pair of closed-backs and sounds like the Noire will likely be them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back