The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #4,321 of 6,351
Since my last post here things have been rather full on. In fact, I've not managed any listening at all since whenever that post was...

Well, I can now introduce the latest (future) member of the head-fi closed back club, our little baby girl who is now 5 days old.

Do those Koala bear pajamas come in grown up sizes ? Asking for a friend

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,323 of 6,351
Since my last post here things have been rather full on. In fact, I've not managed any listening at all since whenever that post was...

Well, I can now introduce the latest (future) member of the head-fi closed back club, our little baby girl who is now 5 days old.

Little Koala.jpg
Just saw that - many congrats! We look forward to your "first impressions" of fatherhood! (Please allow for a burn-in phase of about 6 months....at least :darthsmile:)

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #4,324 of 6,351

Little Koala.jpg
Congratulations and thanks for sharing... Lately, I barely visit the forum. I wish the best for you and your family :couplekiss:

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #4,325 of 6,351
IMG_3395.jpg

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #4,326 of 6,351
Some of you who have read my posts in the past will laugh: I swore off this forum mid-pandemic, but fell immediately “off the wagon”.

I just gave in to temptation (and have some things up for sale on eBay) and bought a pre-loved ZMF Eikon as my closed back to use when I’m a ZMF (i.e. laid-back, more relaxed) mood, as opposed to a Focal (i.e. more forward mids, higher-resolution) mood.

This means I have one Focal and one ZMF in closed and open designs, to provide options- and I am so thankful for the help from many here to make that choice.

I know many would say the Atticus would be the more appropriate counter to a Focal headphone, and that is fair. But I love the Auteur’s biocellulose driver sound very much (Eikon uses the same driver), the Eikon is discontinued, and I found a bocote Eikon, soooooo 🤷‍♂️.

(I figure if the Eikon is too close to the Stellia, I can find a new home for the Eikon and get an Atticus- though camphor seems to be most common in-market at the moment)

Much excitement!

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #4,327 of 6,351
Some of you who have read my posts in the past will laugh: I swore off this forum mid-pandemic, but fell immediately “off the wagon”.

I just gave in to temptation (and have some things up for sale on eBay) and bought a pre-loved ZMF Eikon as my closed back to use when I’m a ZMF (i.e. laid-back, more relaxed) mood, as opposed to a Focal (i.e. more forward mids, higher-resolution) mood.

This means I have one Focal and one ZMF in closed and open designs, to provide options- and I am so thankful for the help from many here to make that choice.

I know many would say the Atticus would be the more appropriate counter to a Focal headphone, and that is fair. But I love the Auteur’s biocellulose driver sound very much (Eikon uses the same driver), the Eikon is discontinued, and I found a bocote Eikon, soooooo 🤷‍♂️.

(I figure if the Eikon is too close to the Stellia, I can find a new home for the Eikon and get an Atticus- though camphor seems to be most common in-market at the moment)

Much excitement!
No shame, did good.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #4,328 of 6,351

Much excitement!
From all I read I would prefer the Eikon over the Atticus (which I did have had for a brief moment). May it bring you joy!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,329 of 6,351
As someone who has said that he found his End-it-all closed back headphone in the form of the Ether CX with Dekoni sheepskin pads I am throwing that statement to the test the coming week(s). I got a Meze Liric incoming next week. The urge to test and look for the next-best-or-even-better-thing got the best of me. So after the Th-900, Stellia, and Ether C Flow 1.1 this will be my 4th kilobuck closed-back (Sold the other 3). I can and will compare the Liric to the closed-backs I have at hand right now: Ether CX, DT 700 Pro x and S4R 1.1

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #4,331 of 6,351
Wrong place

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #4,332 of 6,351
Apr 17, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #4,333 of 6,351
HD820 vs T5 3. Which you you go for?

I would start with the T5 3. The HD 820 is $1800 and from what I've heard, it's mediocre (it does not isolate well and the sound is meh for the price). Joshua Valour has a good review of the HD 820 on YouTube if you want to check it out.

Unfortunately there are fewer reviews of the T5 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back