The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 2, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,856 of 6,385
Yes, this is also true, a reality that can be quite difficult to accept, the older you get. My tolerance for treble has certainly grown - in the past, I couldn't stand anything that was moderately bright. These days, I crave signatures with brilliant highs coupled with strong, robust lows.

In any case, the progression of time is not the sole culprit in my situation; my tastes have also matured. Where in the past, I only listened (and enjoyed) darker sounds, these days, a headphone with a dark tonality and a bass hump is not my primary choice. Case in point - the NightOwl Carbon would absolutely be at the top of my favorites list in 6 years ago; in modern times, it remains a guilty pleasure, albeit one that's still a treat to listen to. :)
You should notify of your nowadays condition when do that nice comparisons and recommend some headphones to everybody :rage: :relieved:

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,858 of 6,385
Love to watch movies, series and video games with HD800.
Music it is hard to hear a full album for me, no matter which music :frowning2:
There are so many expensive tube amps and many ppl say, you need this to bring them to shine. But never had the chance to hear such amps. Hope i find a way to love these headphone...
Don't you like classical, OSTs or vocal genres? I love (when I can use them, due to their open nature) the HD 800 with those genres. Even with some pop, like "Mecano", they are incredible.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #3,859 of 6,385
Don't you like classical, OSTs or vocal genres? I love (when I can use them, due to their open nature) the HD 800 with those genres. Even with some pop, like "Mecano", they are incredible.
Have no specific taste, but i dont want to think about what i am hearing.
Think i need more allround headphone with less details than HD 800.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #3,860 of 6,385
Yes, I think that the Sony Z7s or the Z1Rs (more expensive) due to their warmth nature are the perfect complement for them, at least in my case.

Right now, listening to "Metal Gear Solid OST" with the Sony Z7s and I'm enjoying a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #3,861 of 6,385
Love to watch movies, series and video games with HD800.
Music it is hard to hear a full album for me, no matter which music :frowning2:
There are so many expensive tube amps and many ppl say, you need this to bring them to shine. But never had the chance to hear such amps. Hope i find a way to love these headphone...
HD800s definitely pair well with tube amps but they don't have to be expensive. Both the Schiit Valhalla and Bottlehead Crack are great matches with the HD800. I'm enjoying the HD800 with all genres with some eq applied and running off tubes. I can't listen to them for long without eq, but enjoy them immensely with eq applied.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #3,862 of 6,385
I ran into the same problem with my LCD-XCs. They are great headphones in many ways, and their deep bass is the best I’ve heard so far, but they are really detailed. To much so for my liking with recordings that were not top-notch, even with the warmth added from a copper cable and a tube amp or a warmer-than-neutral solid-state amp.

Since I already liked my Focal Elears a lot (their dynamics and forward mids suit me), I stuck with Focal (setup below).

BUT- I have also since bought a pair of ZMF Auteurs to reach my end game on the open headphone side, and LOVE them. Especially with tubes, but they are also good with warmer solid-state amps that handle a 300 Ohm headphone well (some power/current is needed!).

All that said, a pair of ZMF Atticus (usually $800-900 USD pre-owned) might work really well for you. Or, alternatively, the Focal Radiance. The Radiance is a warmer-than-usual Focal with some strong bass slam.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #3,863 of 6,385
Yes, I think that the Sony Z7s or the Z1Rs (more expensive) due to their warmth nature are the perfect complement for them, at least in my case.
It's better to pay a little more and buy only once.

The Z1R ist suitable for any music and comfortable for hours. Stage and bass, nothing is missing, you won't need a tube amp either.

The Z1R isn't hifi, it's art 💗

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #3,864 of 6,385
You should notify of your nowadays condition when do that nice comparisons and recommend some headphones to everybody :rage: :relieved:
Got it, buddy. I'll state that, based on my age (mid 30s), my hearing ability has decreased by 11.5% in the higher registers. :sweat_smile:

I hope it isn't that bad, though. :eyes:

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #3,865 of 6,385
The HD 800 (+S) is quite the detail monster. For those who aren't seeking top-end resolution, this headphone can be quite fatiguing to listen to. Of course, different strokes for different folks - it is a brilliant headphone, just not one that I'd use to enjoy my preferred type of music. It's too.. analytical for its own good, IMO.

The HD 800 and its "S" sibling are quite amenable to FR tweaks via EQ, though.

If you are looking for something that's an all-rounder, and if you're shopping in the closed-back aisle, try the Denon AH-D9200 or the ZMF Vérité Closed. The former is brighter, leaner, but retains a fun, musical streak, whilst the latter is lush, full-bodied, and is great with vocals.

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,866 of 6,385
Got it, buddy. I'll state that, based on my age (mid 30s), my hearing ability has decreased by 11.5% in the higher registers. :sweat_smile:

I hope it isn't that bad, though. :eyes:
It just means by the time you're 40, you'll go back and edit all the HD 800 posts you made :D

I'm close to 60 and I still cannot tolerate the HD 800s (plural, not S) treble peak on most music.

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #3,867 of 6,385

Right now, listening to "Metal Gear Solid OST" with the Sony Z7s and I'm enjoying a lot.
Nice.
Hideo Kojima really has magnificent music taste for his Metal Gear games.
Was really surprised about this opening song for a Computer game:

Also love this one, i think he used it multiple times on different games.

Which was your favourite?

edit: 100th post 🎉🥳

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3,868 of 6,385
So I had an interesting and rather enlightening audio experience this week. When I bought my Bluesound Node 2 streamer awhile back, I picked up a Monoprice coax cable off Amazon, thinking that as long as it was a 75ohm cable I was good, right? The cable looked to be of reasonable quality but it was stiff and the connectors were never super tight. I've been in the process of shifting things around in my room and this cable sliding off while I was trying to position the Node or my Ares II was getting annoying so I decided I'd look into getting something a little better.

Now I'm not a cable sceptic or anything, I've heard differences in cables that have ranged from subtle to easily noticeable but I've honestly not given much thought to digital cables other than making sure they're made well and meet required specs. With this in mind, when I went looking for a new cable, it was mainly build quality I was after. I've been really impressed with the quality and reasonable pricing of my Audio Sensibility Impact SE OCC Copper interconnects and headphone cable so that was my first stop. Unfortunately, the Impact SE isn't recommended for use as a coax cable and their Statement Silver cable was way out of my price range. Luckily though, Steve at Audio Sensibility had an older version that they don't sell anymore which he offered to me for a reasonable price.

When the cable arrived, I really didn't have any expectations as far as sound goes. I thought, if anything it might remove some edge or glare. Well it did that, but what totally blew me away was the difference in the bass on my Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. As many of you may know from my posts here and my Liric review, I'm a pretty big fan of the AWAS. My only real gripe with them has been that they lacked some weight in the sub bass. In fact, I had been planning on picking up a Schiit Lokius to see if I might be able to bring the bass out a bit with that. Well, after adding a decent digital cable, I don't feel like that's going to be necessary. The added weight and extension I got with the Audio Sensibility cable is just what I've been looking for.

I'm not posting this to start a cable debate. I honestly don't know if it's just that the Monoprice cable was misrepresented on Amazon or if the connectors not being super tight was causing an issue or if the Audio Sensibility cable has some sort of special sauce. My main point for posting this here is just to let those that might be interested know that my issues with the bass on the AWAS have been solved and that it was something in my setup, not the AWAS itself.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,869 of 6,385
Nice.
Hideo Kojima really has magnificent music taste for his Metal Gear games.
Was really surprised about this opening song for a Computer game:

Also love this one, i think he used it multiple times on different games.

Which was your favourite?

edit: 100th post 🎉🥳

What do you mean? My favourite song of the ones you posted? My favourite Hideo Kojima game? My favourite OST of Hideo Kojima games? :thinking:

The Metal Gear Solid 3 intro looks like a James Bond films homage, looks so similar... But with a snake, no beautiful girls there (well, their shadows :wink:)

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #3,870 of 6,385
Woah, I've not been on Head-Fi for a few days - it feels like a really long time, though.

How's everybody doing? Has anyone purchased a new headphone or audio product? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back