The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #3,886 of 6,418
I really liked K812, but was finding most of my listening to be closed back. I used to own K872. I am 100% portable. No stereo, no speakers, no desktop amp. I am considering ATH-MSR7B also. DAPs Sony NW-WM1Z, Sony NW-WM1A, and LPGT.
Portable is not so much about compromise anymore I think... I do still own a classic desktop amp (Beyerdynamic A2, which is just a really nice product), but otherwise I'm using only portable equipment as well. An iPhone is my main source after selling my AK380SS, with sometimes a 1. gen Hugo or simply Bluetooth headphones, sometimes the simple Apple Lighting dongles (which are quite good if using not any power hungry headphones with them). My beloved M-100 is mostly fed with its own Lightning cable, or via an EarStudio ES100.

I do own a stereo system though, wich I mostly use for Jazz music and for watching films. I do own two HomePods (the original, larger version) which sound quite good, yet I seldom turn them on.

In former times I used to go out with over-ear headphones as well, but nowadays that's mostly IEMs and now even TWS (AirPods 3, which sound really nice, and sometimes the Beats Fit Pro, which are inoffensive with a really nice bass and quite good ANC and transparency modes). I think now mobile or portable equipment sounds really good, quality I can live with. No more large stacks gobbling up space on my desktop... and feeling bad when working at a cafe because I could not take some good quality equipment with me. Nice times indeed -- at least technologically.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #3,887 of 6,418
Portable is not so much about compromise anymore I think... I do still own a classic desktop amp (Beyerdynamic A2, which is just a really nice product), but otherwise I'm using only portable equipment as well. An iPhone is my main source after selling my AK380SS, with sometimes a 1. gen Hugo or simply Bluetooth headphones, sometimes the simple Apple Lighting dongles (which are quite good if using not any power hungry headphones with them). My beloved M-100 is mostly fed with its own Lightning cable, or via an EarStudio ES100.

I do own a stereo system though, wich I mostly use for Jazz music and for watching films. I do own two HomePods (the original, larger version) which sound quite good, yet I seldom turn them on.

In former times I used to go out with over-ear headphones as well, but nowadays that's mostly IEMs and now even TWS (AirPods 3, which sound really nice, and sometimes the Beats Fit Pro, which are inoffensive with a really nice bass and quite good ANC and transparency modes). I think now mobile or portable equipment sounds really good, quality I can live with. No more large stacks gobbling up space on my desktop... and feeling bad when working at a cafe because I could not take some good quality equipment with me. Nice times indeed -- at least technologically.
I liked IEMs, but then my ears decided to be wax factories whenever anything is inserted in the ears...

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #3,888 of 6,418
I liked IEMs, but then my ears decided to be wax factories whenever anything is inserted in the ears...
Thats a good reason to keep with over-ears of course.
I always liked the Sony DAPs... just never got around to purchase one myself.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #3,889 of 6,418
Thats a good reason to keep with over-ears of course.
I always liked the Sony DAPs... just never got around to purchase one myself.
It's such a beautiful DAP. Love its musicality.

20211228_214342.jpg

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,890 of 6,418
Hello closed-back friends,

I know he's rather grating if not abrasive, but on this particular occasion I have to agree with Zeo in his account of the Rognir Planar. If you have 30 minutes to spare and a certain degree of patience, it's worth a watch:

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3,891 of 6,418
With four child at home, I think your ears have decided to isolate themselves hahahaha

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #3,892 of 6,418
Fostex TH900MK1 Lawton Mod Lvl 1 is going to arrive today in my house here in Brazil.
To say I'm excited is an understatement.
Big fan of your posts as you're so articulate and I love EDM too (99,99% of my play time since 20 years ago) .
I think I'm in for a treat with the TH900.
Let us know what you think of the TH900 when they arrive. By the way, have you considered modding the cups to accept detachable cables?

As you are a fan of EDM, I am sure the Fostex will fit like a glove. IMO, they are one of the headphones that are, ostensibly, tailor made for dance music. That energy, that dynamism, that bass texture... as a total package, they are brilliant. :)

Anyway, enjoy your headphone!

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #3,893 of 6,418
How bad were the withdrawal symptoms? :beyersmile:
I got news for you. When @Malevolent isn't on the forum, it's the rest of us that have withdrawal symptoms!

:dt880smile:
Did you go pale? did you get the shivers from withdrawals? lol
Well, to be honest, I was a little busy over the past week; I was quite knackered by the time I had (personal) free time at night, and most of those hours were spent binging shows on Netflix. Still, I kept having that niggling feeling of FOMO - it was probably paranoia, but I kept thinking that, in my absence from the audio-related scene, a new headphone was released. :eyes:

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,894 of 6,418
I liked the Magni's, but they left me wanting more, and I happened across these...

These headphones are absolutely gorgeous. They have a slightly relaxed sound but still full of detail. Bass extends well but isn't overpowered. Mids and highs seem really well balanced, highs aren't harsh at all. Soundstage and imaging is impressive for a closed back headphone.

They feel surprisingly light on the head given their size. The ear cups are slightly shallow IMO, but not to the point it's uncomfortable for me.

Looking forward to lots of enjoyment out of these.

20220207_181701.jpg
Hmm, speaking of weight, the Rognir Dynamic is actually marginally heavier than the original Rognir! This comes as a surprise to me - I was under the impression that the planar-magnetic driver would outweigh its dynamic counterpart.

1644347681621.png
1644347705921.png

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #3,895 of 6,418
Hmm, speaking of weight, the Rognir Dynamic is actually marginally heavier than the original Rognir! This comes as a surprise to me - I was under the impression that the planar-magnetic driver would outweigh its dynamic counterpart.

1644347681621.png1644347705921.png

They sure don't feel heavy on the head at all, to me at least. I feel they could use just a tad more clamping force though.

I think it's time to part ways with the Elegia, I'm now on the hunt to add a pair of Stellia. Time to just be done with this and go straight for the top.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #3,896 of 6,418
I received my new portable headphones - Ultrasone Signature DXP as a replacement for the CFA Casacade and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with them so far.
Although uglier and cheaper looking than the Cascade, they isolate way better!

Sound wise I'm pretty excited as they fit many genres very well. From metal to EDM, they never are agressive or fatiguing (there is a technology inside meant to reduce this).
They have a good punch, not too colored, I really like it !

In fact, I'm debating which of the Elear or Cascade I'm going to put up for sale soon :)

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #3,897 of 6,418

My mobile set-up used to be my Meze 99 Classic's and my LG V30 or Sony DAP. I hate IEM's. While I enjoyed my mobile set-up, my desk top set-up was a big step up.

My mobile set-up now, for the odd time needed, is the Beyer T5's/Focal Elgia's and my phone/DAP combo.

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #3,898 of 6,418
My mobile set-up used to be my Meze 99 Classic's and my LG V30 or Sony DAP. I hate IEM's. While I enjoyed my mobile set-up, my desk top set-up was a big step up.

My mobile set-up now, for the odd time needed, is the Beyer T5's/Focal Elgia's and my phone/DAP combo.
I still have the 30 as well. Also have the 40, but rarely use either. I use my Hiby R5 for the gym, and my Shanling M6 Pro for everything else. Still rocking the B&O H6 too. Had it modded for balanced use, and I think it sounds great. The best portable can I have found imo. I think it sounds better than many other more expensive closed back cans. Balanced definitely improved the overall performance.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #3,900 of 6,418
The waveSounds are moving. Trading the city in for the Great British countryside (so the little one can grow up with country walks, nature, and the beach on her doorstep).

And of course, a new office space / listening room.

full

full

I plan on getting a better chair...
Congrats, sir. This looks ideal for both a young 'un and an old 'un who wants to immerse himself in some Fostex driven musical enjoyment...!

The Great British countryside....nostalgia. I lived in Lewes, Sussex once and the vibe in these photos brings a wistful but repressed expression to my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back