The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #3,901 of 6,418
Thanks, @Nostoi. Ha, whilst I'm not familiar with Lewes, I know Sussex and there's definitely parallels with Dorset. What was the decision behind you and your family leaving the UK?

This move's been on the cards for a long time now (never took to London life myself) so with baby waveSounds on the way, it presented the perfect time to do it. If my wife was open to a move abroad, however, Austria would have been my number one choice. I absolutely adore Innsubruck. Have yet to visit Vienna, but it's another one I've always wanted to make the trip to.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #3,902 of 6,418
Thanks, @Nostoi. Ha, whilst I'm not familiar with Lewes, I know Sussex and there's definitely parallels with Dorset. What was the decision behind you and your family leaving the UK?

This move's been on the cards for a long time now (never took to London life myself) so with baby waveSounds on the way, it presented the perfect time to do it. If my wife was open to a move abroad, however, Austria would have been my number one choice. I absolutely adore Innsubruck. Have yet to visit Vienna, but it's another one I've always wanted to make the trip to.
Dorset is lovely, indeed. Came close to living around there (Exeter) few years back. Well, the decision to leave the UK was work. I got a post-doc in Paris, expecting it to last only a year before I'd then move back to the UK to resume my life. That was over ten tears (edit: years, though "tears" is also apt) ago and I can't see a move back to the UK happening anytime soon for both work and family reasons (wife is French, we've never lived in the UK together, Brexit, Vienna-born toddler is integrated in life here etc). That said, I do miss Waitrose a lot, and suffer from occasional bouts of sickly nostalgia mostly related to cheese and cask ale.

Austria is definitely a superb place to raise a child. It has several other faults, but for children it's a gem. Quality of life here is also quite amazing. You'll have to let me know if you make it over for a trip.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,903 of 6,418
The waveSounds are moving. Trading the city in for the Great British countryside (so the little one can grow up with country walks, nature, and the beach on her doorstep).

And of course, a new office space / listening room.

full

full

I plan on getting a better chair...
Congratulations. I also live in a very small town and in the outsides of the center of the town, with a lot of trees and sepulchral silence... That's why my wife and children prefer closed backs for me :relieved:

You can see a little of my garden in my 9200s classified listing :relaxed:

As long as you don't lose your sense of humor, all will be fine for you, your family and for us :relaxed:

And now, your child will have toys inside and outside the house, see the last pic of my classified... :scream:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,904 of 6,418
The waveSounds are moving. Trading the city in for the Great British countryside (so the little one can grow up with country walks, nature, and the beach on her doorstep).

And of course, a new office space / listening room.

full

full

I plan on getting a better chair...
I live way out in the suburbs here in Illinois. I do not do cities.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,905 of 6,418
It's such a beautiful DAP. Love its musicality.

20211228_214342.jpg
On that note, I’ve been using the Stellia and Shure SRH-1540 with the NW-WM1A, the WM1Z’s “little sibling”.

The Stellia is a excellent, as expected. The SRH-1540 is perhaps “brought alive” even more, in a way- its bass texture and clarity are both brought up several notches. Both are running single-ended at the moment.

Point being that the WM1A is a great match with both headphones, and you can get A LOT of joy from the reasonably-priced Shure with this DAP.

If you were patient and had a little luck in the pre-owned market you could get a KILLER portable/on-the-go setup for around $ 900 USD, which all things considered is pretty impressive.

(The battery life and storage options got the WM1A are very good as well, and the Shure has an extra set of ear pads packed in, too, so you’d be set for a while!)

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,906 of 6,418
I live way out in the suburbs here in Illinois. I do not do cities.
One added vote for the leafy-green (and generally very quiet) suburbs! 💚🎧

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #3,908 of 6,418
On that note, I’ve been using the Stellia and Shure SRH-1540 with the NW-WM1A, the WM1Z’s “little sibling”.

The Stellia is a excellent, as expected. The SRH-1540 is perhaps “brought alive” even more, in a way- its bass texture and clarity are both brought up several notches. Both are running single-ended at the moment.

Point being that the WM1A is a great match with both headphones, and you can get A LOT of joy from the reasonably-priced Shure with this DAP.

If you were patient and had a little luck in the pre-owned market you could get a KILLER portable/on-the-go setup for around $ 900 USD, which all things considered is pretty impressive.

(The battery life and storage options got the WM1A are very good as well, and the Shure has an extra set of ear pads packed in, too, so you’d be set for a while!)
I love my Shure SRH1540 headphones with Lqi balanced cables with NW-WM1Z.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #3,910 of 6,418
How does the 1540 sound/perform? I somewhat remember researching it a few or so years ago. I think most of what I read mentioned that it was relatively boring.
I really like them from the Somy DAPs. I don't find them boring. They are great at low to moderate listening levels. Neutral with slight treble roll off. Slightly warm bass. Great stage for closed.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3,911 of 6,418
How does the 1540 sound/perform? I somewhat remember researching it a few or so years ago. I think most of what I read mentioned that it was relatively boring.
I think a lot of folks equate neutral with boring. I say there are no boring headphones; only boring music.

At least I hope so since I've got some SRH1540s on the way also 😁

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #3,912 of 6,418
I think a lot of folks equate neutral with boring. I say there are no boring headphones; only boring music.

What will your source be?

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #3,913 of 6,418
What will your source be?
Probably mostly DAPs, similarly to you. I've got a bunch of different ones that I use for different things (plus that way there's always at least one that is charged. ) IBasso DX160, HiBy R5, AK240, AK KANN Alpha, Cayin N3 Pro.
I expect any of them should have enough power; esp if I get a balanced cable for them.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #3,914 of 6,418
Probably mostly DAPs, similarly to you. I've got a bunch of different ones that I use for different things (plus that way there's always at least one that is charged. ) IBasso DX160, HiBy R5, AK240, AK KANN Alpha, Cayin N3 Pro.
I expect any of them should have enough power; esp if I get a balanced cable for them.
For what it’s worth, the WM1A is at 80/120 (low gain, or rather, not on “high gain” setting) for comfortably loud volume. So I’d be surprised if your other DAPs can’t drive the 1540 well.

It’s been pretty revelatory to use the 1540 with the WM1A via single-ended (Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable). The 1540 scales incredibly well with the WM1A!

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #3,915 of 6,418

Oh, the 1540s are DEFINITELY not boring! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back