The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 20, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #3,691 of 6,351
Jan 20, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #3,692 of 6,351
Yeah, I must admit, I do miss the (higher) quality offered by wired IEMs. Funny that you've mentioned the Solaris - this happens to be one of my all-time favorite IEMs. I loved the OG, and the 2020 version was just as good, if not better, thanks to its reduced size.

Still, when I consider the bigger picture, the convenience and comfort offered by wireless headphones and IEMs still prevail over absolute sound quality. My commutes are often short, about 45 mins, tops. Plus, I've been working from home since March 2020; I don't go out too much these days, too. Thus, I could live with those passing moments on the train or a bus with a TWS solution.
Yes the OG Solaris are incredible! One of my true holy crap moments in audio when I realised you can stroll around the city with a pair of iems that sound as good as full sized headphones. I like them more than my old focal clear, which is pretty high praise.

Indeed I think it's all use cases. My Airpods Pro are often good enough. But sometimes I just like to feel like there's an orchestra in my head while walking down the thames or citing in an uber. It's pretty dope what good wired iems can do.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #3,693 of 6,351
Hmm, I can't be sure about the soundstage, since I haven't heard them in nearly half a year, but the ATH-AWAS and the ATH-AWKT, from Audio-Technica, are pretty good at reproducing prominent, distinct, and potent female vocals.

The ATH-AWKT is less engaging than its smaller sibling; the latter is a tad more lively, thanks to a slightly pronounced mid-bass boost.

I don't think either of these headphones are particularly brilliant at producing a grand, enveloping stage, but they don't struggle in this aspect either. For closed-back headphones, I'd say that the soundstage is relatively wide and deep.
Thanks!!

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #3,694 of 6,351
It would be great
I received the Yamahas yesterday, didn't have much time for an indepth comparison but i can tell these things: They are Bass heavy, they have atleast 3dB more mid and subbass then the harman target. That is alot of bass. I can tolerate too much bass but many head-fiers can't even tolerate the harman target amount of bass. It's however more detailed and textured than the Shures in that area. Vocals are great as i remembered, seperated very well. The upper mids seem to be a bit pronounced (which i like). Are they worth 500$? Definately not unless you want them for the Room Simulation (which i didn't expect to like, but is actually kind of a nice gimmick). I would wait for prices to fall under 300$ or get a second hand model for a good price. For me, as far as Bluetooth Headphones go, this will become my go-to headphone for this year unless Sennheiser updates the Momentum :wink:
Other notes: It sounds like crap in passive mode with the 3,5mm cable. It does not support connecting to a PC or Smartphone via USB Cable. It's only for charging...

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #3,695 of 6,351
Hmm, I can't be sure about the soundstage, since I haven't heard them in nearly half a year, but the ATH-AWAS and the ATH-AWKT, from Audio-Technica, are pretty good at reproducing prominent, distinct, and potent female vocals.

The ATH-AWKT is less engaging than its smaller sibling; the latter is a tad more lively, thanks to a slightly pronounced mid-bass boost.

I don't think either of these headphones are particularly brilliant at producing a grand, enveloping stage, but they don't struggle in this aspect either. For closed-back headphones, I'd say that the soundstage is relatively wide and deep.
I have been leaning towards ATH-WP900 from Audio Technica as they are more portable+cheaper.
From what I read, they handle vocals better too than others in their category.

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #3,696 of 6,351
Yes, you recommended this album to me, but it reminded me a lot to some "Anathema" albums that I also love. I prefer when Opeth had fast paced parts and slow ones in their songs.

Oh I did, did I? Haha. I guess I forget how often and to whom I throw out that recommendation. We've probably had this exact same conversation before then, but while I do like some of their other stuff I just can't get into the whole growling aspect of metal. Damnation is an outlier for Opeth in that regard. If Anathema have albums like Damnation then sign me up! I'll add them to my "ToListen" list :thumbsup:

Jar of flies took me a while to properly get. It's a gem for sure.
Ever heard of Riverside? Their album Wasteland is up there the two you mentioned (IMO ofc)

No, I've not heard of them - I'll check them out, fo' sure! Cheers for the rec!

On the general talk about convenience versus portability, if I'm traveling somewhere on public transport such as a lengthy train journey I'll use the Lotoo PAW S1, but 99% of the time I'm out I'll use the SE846 with an Apple USB C dongle. It just wins in the portability stakes. Even the diminutive PAW gets annoying faffing around with it in pockets after a while.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #3,697 of 6,351
I received the Yamahas yesterday, didn't have much time for an indepth comparison but i can tell these things: They are Bass heavy, they have atleast 3dB more mid and subbass then the harman target. That is alot of bass. I can tolerate too much bass but many head-fiers can't even tolerate the harman target amount of bass. It's however more detailed and textured than the Shures in that area. Vocals are great as i remembered, seperated very well. The upper mids seem to be a bit pronounced (which i like). Are they worth 500$? Definately not unless you want them for the Room Simulation (which i didn't expect to like, but is actually kind of a nice gimmick). I would wait for prices to fall under 300$ or get a second hand model for a good price. For me, as far as Bluetooth Headphones go, this will become my go-to headphone for this year unless Sennheiser updates the Momentum :wink:
Other notes: It sounds like crap in passive mode with the 3,5mm cable. It does not support connecting to a PC or Smartphone via USB Cable. It's only for charging...
Thanks a lot! It's some valuable information for my wallet :)

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,698 of 6,351
Hmm, I have not tried this myself, but the XL pads could, in theory, resolve some of the isolation issues, especially if the stock pads are not large and enveloping enough to surround your ears.
Interesting, I read reviews telling that the clamping force is reduced with th XL pads... It would be the opposite of what I'm looking for :frowning2: Also, they are out of stock.
Damn I don't know what to do.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #3,699 of 6,351
Oh I did, did I? Haha. I guess I forget how often and to whom I throw out that recommendation. We've probably had this exact same conversation before then, but while I do like some of their other stuff I just can't get into the whole growling aspect of metal. Damnation is an outlier for Opeth in that regard. If Anathema have albums like Damnation then sign me up! I'll add them to my "ToListen" list :thumbsup:

No, I've not heard of them - I'll check them out, fo' sure! Cheers for the rec!

On the general talk about convenience versus portability, if I'm traveling somewhere on public transport such as a lengthy train journey I'll use the Lotoo PAW S1, but 99% of the time I'm out I'll use the SE846 with an Apple USB C dongle. It just wins in the portability stakes. Even the diminutive PAW gets annoying faffing around with it in pockets after a while.
Take a look (listen :wink: ) here to see if you like them:

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,700 of 6,351
I have been leaning towards ATH-WP900 from Audio Technica as they are more portable+cheaper.
Hmm, while I don't think the ATH-WP900 struggles to produce prominent female vocals, I don't think they are top-notch in this facet either; vocals, in general, aren't distinctly clear or well separated.

Moreover, the staging is cramped on the Audio-Technica; this is not its forte. What this headphone does, and does well, is produce an exciting, musical signature that's better suited for bass-heavy genres of music.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #3,701 of 6,351
Interesting, I read reviews telling that the clamping force is reduced with th XL pads... It would be the opposite of what I'm looking for :frowning2: Also, they are out of stock.
Damn I don't know what to do.
Paging @Shane D - he has a lot of experience with modding and using the Campfire Audio Cascade. I'm thinking that he might be able to provide a tip or 2. Fingers crossed. :)

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,702 of 6,351
The WP900's are VERY v-shaped! If vocals are your thing, you might want to look for something different.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #3,703 of 6,351
Hmm, while I don't think the ATH-WP900 struggles to produce prominent female vocals, I don't think they are top-notch in this facet either; vocals, in general, aren't distinctly clear or well separated.

Moreover, the staging is cramped on the Audio-Technica; this is not its forte. What this headphone does, and does well, is produce an exciting, musical signature that's better suited for bass-heavy genres of music.

bass-heavy genres of music.
Yeah I remember I saw some polarizing reviews on amazon on this mater. It made me think that this pair might be the crowd pleasing fun and cool looking one but not for particular serious listening. So I moved on exploring brands such as ZMF and Kennerton.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #3,704 of 6,351
Paging @Shane D - he has a lot of experience with modding and using the Campfire Audio Cascade. I'm thinking that he might be able to provide a tip or 2. Fingers crossed. :)
As much as I play with them, the clamp is still light. I need an object with a circumference smaller than a head to really twist them.

I LOVE the XL pads and they are all I use. But due to the loose fit, isolation is not ideal. I get better isolation and grip from several others such as T5's, Elegia's and LSA HP-2's.

I love the sound of the Cascades, but, for me, they are only home 'phones.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #3,705 of 6,351
Yeah I remember I saw some polarizing reviews on amazon on this mater. It made me think that this pair might be the crowd pleasing fun and cool looking one but not for particular serious listening. So I moved on exploring brands such as ZMF and Kennerton.
I can't recommend the LSA HP-2's enough. Nice fit, light and comfortable, great sounding, good isolation and if you are looking at Kennertons, they are downright cheap.
The only downside is that the headband is pretty microphonic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back