The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #3,661 of 6,351
Try The Beyerdynamic T5P or T5 gen3 with baffles removed or EQ. The gen3 added a foam baffle to make the sound less 'beyer' (i.e. sibilant) but its easy to remove.
These cans have amazing soundstage and great imaging which is very good for soundtracks....though I haven't thought specifically of female vocals.
The Tesla drivers are notoriously revealing with treble, which is great for restoration, remastering work, but not for consumer audiophiles.

Glad to see Beyer has made a few additional steps towards allowing customers to tailor the sound signa Ute to their liking (DT1990 dual pad setup), as well as the new patterned acoustic discs featured in:

T1 3rd gen
T5 3rd gen
Amiron Wireless
TYGR 300 R
DT700X
DT900X

Can’t wait to see how the legends of Mount Beyer’s treble: T-90’s, DT-1990’s, DT-1770’s, DT990’s, DT880’s, and DT770’s …all sound with these new acoustic fleece discs applied.

5457A19F-8B65-484D-B258-393687F2DAB8.jpeg

Even many of the “open back” Beyer’s are only partially open, once disassembled.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,663 of 6,351
While we are at it, has anyone tried Yamaha l700a?
I gave it a brief audition in December.
I thought it sounded really rather good. Definitely better than I was expecting.
Also compared it side by side with the E700A, which was bassier, not quite as refined and definitely more of a 'consumer' headphone.
(But take it with the usual garbage-container full of salt... that was a little while back)

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #3,664 of 6,351
It's interesting. How about sound leakage?
@Terriero could you comment on this regarding dt1990.
My girl can CLEARLY hear exactly what’s going on when I wear my K812 at moderate volumes.

When I wear my T-90, she can barely hear a whisper, despite them being “open backs” with a big steel mesh grill on each side. But the hole below it is enough to drop a coin thru lol

Here’s how “open” DT880’s are:

6BFDABEB-0E13-4AD1-8F6D-EEAAEF9EEFC2.jpeg
CFBD9644-18F6-4CD3-A0B5-EC4375268BAB.jpeg

Some call them “semi-open” but as a glass-half-full kinda dude … I still say these are “semi-closed” lol

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #3,665 of 6,351
I gave it a brief audition in December.
I thought it sounded really rather good. Definitely better than I was expecting.
Also compared it side by side with the E700A, which was bassier, not quite as refined and definitely more of a 'consumer' headphone.
(But take it with the usual garbage-container full of salt... that was a little while back)
Thanks! What music did you use and what about bass quality (speed, tightness)?

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #3,666 of 6,351
Thanks! What music did you use and what about bass quality (speed, tightness)?
Unfortunately it was force-fed some pop music through a POS display which you couldn't unplug it from.
Since it was music I wasn't completely familiar with I couldn't say.

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #3,667 of 6,351
My girl can CLEARLY hear exactly what’s going on when I wear my K812 at moderate volumes.

When I wear my T-90, she can barely hear a whisper, despite them being “open backs” with a big steel mesh grill on each side. But the hole below it is enough to drop a coin thru lol

Here’s how “open” DT880’s are:

6BFDABEB-0E13-4AD1-8F6D-EEAAEF9EEFC2.jpegCFBD9644-18F6-4CD3-A0B5-EC4375268BAB.jpeg

Some call them “semi-open” but as a glass-half-full kinda dude … I still say these are “semi-closed” lol
That's the reason to think. What stops me from using semi open headphones in the open air besides sound leakage is wind, dust, humidity etc.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #3,668 of 6,351
That helps a lot, thank you for detailed response!
Of course I take reviews with the bucket of salt. As for opinions it's all about subjective perception and I use it as a starting point.
I'm Android user. Frankly speaking I thought about buying iPhone 13, iwatch and AirPodsMax but after making calculations decided to spend this money on hi-fi gear:)
ANC and EQ are not really my things.
I also listen to some deep house once in a while but I'm not a good judge of it.
If I find Aonic 40 in local stores I'll definitely test it. By the way AirPods OG sounded quite well with OnePlus.
I primarily use headphones during long walks so dac and wires won't really bother me. For commuting I'd prefer TWS options.
Anyway I'll give a chance to some top wireless cans and also keep in view relatively compact over ear wired solutions.
And aforementioned Apple trio can't get out of my head:)
I don’t have any experience with Android but iPhones are very nice music sources especially on the go… so if it’s within financial reach you might want to consider a switch. The APM is really a very good headphone.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #3,669 of 6,351
It's interesting. How about sound leakage?
@Terriero could you comment on this regarding dt1990.
Wearing my HD 800s is like no wearing nothing at all (I don't know if you have tried the Sennheisers), and I didn't say that because of the extreme comfortable they are, just because the isolation is null. If I listen with them at moderate volumes to some music a little energetic, I disturb my wife while sleeping at nights.

With the DT 1990 Pros is a different experience, when you put them on you can hear a little of the ambience background but they attenuate some of the noise. I can listen with them at moderate volumes to some jazz, vocal jazz, classic or even classic rock... But, last night I wanted to listen to "Opeth - Blackwater Park" with them and I couldn't enjoy that album at low volume (and I didn't want to raise the volume to awake my wife... :relieved: )... Right now, I'm listening to that album and in the melodic parts I barely hear the sound of the TV cartoons my children are watching -behind me-, not at all, of course, in the louder music parts.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #3,670 of 6,351
The Tesla drivers are notoriously revealing with treble, which is great for restoration, remastering work, but not for consumer audiophiles.

Glad to see Beyer has made a few additional steps towards allowing customers to tailor the sound signa Ute to their liking (DT1990 dual pad setup), as well as the new patterned acoustic discs featured in:

T1 3rd gen
T5 3rd gen
Amiron Wireless
TYGR 300 R
DT700X
DT900X

Can’t wait to see how the legends of Mount Beyer’s treble: T-90’s, DT-1990’s, DT-1770’s, DT990’s, DT880’s, and DT770’s …all sound with these new acoustic fleece discs applied.

5457A19F-8B65-484D-B258-393687F2DAB8.jpeg

Even many of the “open back” Beyer’s are only partially open, once disassembled.
I have applied the amiron wireless foam pads to my DT 1990 Pros and no more issues with the treble :L3000:

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,672 of 6,351
Great album.
Thanks for reply!
And now listening to "My Dying Bride - The ghost of Orion" with the 1990s and is an incredible experience :L3000: But I leave this open (or semi-open) cans conversation here because my friend Malevolent would get angry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,673 of 6,351
The DT1770s should be considered if you're afraid of leakage with the 1990s. Very nice set of cans with really good isolation both for the guy wearing them and any people around. But, you need an amp.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #3,674 of 6,351
And now listening to "My Dying Bride - The ghost of Orion" with the 1990s and is an incredible experience :L3000: But I leave this open (or semi-open) cans conversation here because my friend Malevolent would get angry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
But if he has the closed-backed h/p on, he will not hear you….

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,675 of 6,351
The DT1770s should be considered if you're afraid of leakage with the 1990s. Very nice set of cans with really good isolation both for the guy wearing them and any people around. But, you need an amp.
I didn't go with them because I was afraid due to the early QC issues the 1770 Pros had that I read in amazon users feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back