The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #3,166 of 6,350
Just got my first set of good closed back cans with my B-stock ZMF Verite Closed coming in a couple days ago. Holy. CRAP! This is what endgame closed back is like. My best closed back before this was the Bose NC 700. Great for the airplane but obviously nothing compared to these. It leaves me wanting for nothing. Clarity, BASS, exciting tuning, I feel like it has it all. Couldn't be more satisfied :)

ZMF1.jpeg
A great purchase, indeed. Congratulations! :)

I see that you have a Soloist 3X Grand Tourer - how's this combo? (I assume that the Bifrost 2 remains the DAC in this chain.) Thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #3,168 of 6,350
A great purchase, indeed. Congratulations! :)

I see that you have a Soloist 3X Grand Tourer - how's this combo? (I assume that the Bifrost 2 remains the DAC in this chain.) Thanks in advance.

Thank you! The combo is incredible and, yes, the Bifrost 2 remains the DAC in the chain as well. The GT has phenomenal clarity but has a personality to it and isn't super clinical at the cost of fun like some SS amps can be. I think, because of that, it's a really perfect pairing for the VC. I went for it over a tube amp because of its versatility as well. This thing can run anything from my IEMS up to a Susvara with ease so I don't see myself really ever needing another SS amp for a very, very long time.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,169 of 6,350
I promised my wife that I wouldn't look at other women.. but I didn't say anything about headphones! :joy::sunglasses:

Merry Christmas to you, too, my friend! And to all of my mates in the Closed-Back thread - Happy Holidays to you as well!

1640463444424.png
Likewise to you both, to all the fellow addicted, lost souls Head-fiers! Merry Christmas, and enjoy the music in your lives- it is a blessing.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3,170 of 6,350
Just got my first set of good closed back cans with my B-stock ZMF Verite Closed coming in a couple days ago. Holy. CRAP! This is what endgame closed back is like. My best closed back before this was the Bose NC 700. Great for the airplane but obviously nothing compared to these. It leaves me wanting for nothing. Clarity, BASS, exciting tuning, I feel like it has it all. Couldn't be more satisfied :)

ZMF1.jpeg
Wow, congrats! Great setup. Burson, ZMF, and Schiit make such great gear- excellent choices. My tip: Focus on the music purchases from here, and let the rest go (for now). 😁

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #3,172 of 6,350
I'm quite happy with the 2 closed backs I will end 2021 with. On the one hand the Ether CX which feels open and detailed, smooth and soothing. On the other hand the Ollo S4R 1.1. Small, direct and honest.
Both cans respond well to some EQ. Both cans are very comfortable (for me) and both offer a good value for the money (imo).

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,173 of 6,350
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,174 of 6,350
I can see why you are apprehensive about the whole shebang - offering a $900 headphone as a freebie for a $1,600 purchase appears too good a deal to be true in today's landscape.

I'd like to give the folks at Kennerton the benefit of the doubt, though; I assume that they just want more people to get their hands on both headphones. That way, the brand will grow organically, at least in terms of word-of-mouth spread amongst its userbase/fanbase. :)
I would 100% wager this is a long term gamble on their part. it's not like thousands of people are gonna take this offer, they'll probably get a couple dozen and yeah that'll bite into the revenue but they also can be confident that the free set will probably end up gifted or sold to someone else, so that means for one purchase they can have their name in two mouths.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #3,175 of 6,350
Contemplating a Noire purchase to upgrade from the Ether CX. Has anyone compared the two yet? I feel like I'd be sacrificing some resolving power in favor of a more agreeable signature, judging from the various reviews of the former.

Meze's LIRIC is also something I'd consider.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3,176 of 6,350
Just ordered the Dan Clark Aeon RT Closed with money I received for Christmas. :) I've been looking for an upgrade to my Audioquest NightOwl for a while.

I hope I like these. They seem to be generating little attention and it was hard to find any reviews of them.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #3,177 of 6,350
Going to give the Sony MDR M1ST a mention here, especially since they basically retired my HD600. Stellar set
Going to give the Sony MDR M1ST a mention here, especially since they basically retired my HD600. Stellar set
Dumile avatar, HD660s, HD600, M1ST…. My man.

How would you describe the frequency response & detail of the M1ST in relation to the HD600 & HD660s ?

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #3,178 of 6,350
the LSA HP-2 are out of my budget atm, and they might sound great, but I've yet to read how good they are at blocking noise from outside

For your budget, I would definitely give the Aeon RT/X, or a used Beyer T5/T5p which definitely has an impressively wide soundstage versus the focal which is usually pretty intimate. The DCA Aeons do benefit from more power, but not sure if you already have an amp or not.

Both are pretty good with isolation,

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #3,179 of 6,350
Dumile avatar, HD660s, HD600, M1ST…. My man.

How would you describe the frequency response & detail of the M1ST in relation to the HD600 & HD660s ?

Cool, yeah big DOOM fan here haha..

On the M1ST, it's as good as the 600 in terms of details. It beats the 600 on imaging and it's faster in the transients as well. They're about the same in terms of resolving capabilities. I think the 600 beats the M1ST in the timbre department. I don't think the M1ST is as good as the 660s tho. The 660s is slightly better on imaging and has more detailed mids/treble, and better overall resolution. I would take the 6xx over the M1ST as well. The way the 6xx scales is just silly. It def sounds better than the M1ST on my CMA Twelve Master

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #3,180 of 6,350
Just ordered the Dan Clark Aeon RT Closed with money I received for Christmas. :) I've been looking for an upgrade to my Audioquest NightOwl for a while.

I hope I like these. They seem to be generating little attention and it was hard to find any reviews of them.
Keep us posted with how you find the Aeons RT vs the Nightowls; I'm particularly curious, because i have a pair of the latter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back