The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,396 of 6,330
In order from more to less interest (relatively speaking), I would say: the Aeon 2 Closed, T5 3rd gen., Shure SRH1540, Denon D7200.

And while I did read the reviews and find that these may not agree with my ears, I'm definitely open to trying the Campfire Cascade! If I can find them anywhere locally, that is...
Ahh yes, you were also interested in the Cascade.

It appears that you're also very much a basshead. I can certainly identify with you - I am a closed-back enthusiast and a huge basshead, too. :)

The Cascade is a fun headphone with gobs of bass. If you're going to dip your toes into that pool, be prepared for some monstrous lows.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,397 of 6,330
Ahh yes, you were also interested in the Cascade.

It appears that you're also very much a basshead. I can certainly identify with you - I am a closed-back enthusiast and a huge basshead, too. :)

The Cascade is a fun headphone with gobs of bass. If you're going to dip your toes into that pool, be prepared for some monstrous lows.
Maybe I am? I am primarily interested in the Aeon and the Beyer mostly because those seem to be easier to get repaired, or to get parts for.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #1,398 of 6,330
So I've just sold my aksp2k, and have money for new headphones. I listen to lots of different genres. Stellia, verite closed or something else? I use a hugo 2 but am happy to buy an amp to go with it

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,399 of 6,330
So I've just sold my aksp2k, and have money for new headphones. I listen to lots of different genres. Stellia, verite closed or something else? I use a hugo 2 but am happy to buy an amp to go with it
I did the same. I really liked the SP2000, but it is so expensive that imo you can downgrade without a large drop in performance (due to dimishing returns), and use the proceeds for other gear. I owned VC and Stellia and sold the latter. I found it a little too bright and the bass somewhat boomy at times (with blastbeats).

Happy hunting!

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,400 of 6,330
I did the same. I really liked the SP2000, but it is so expensive that imo you can downgrade without a large drop in performance (due to dimishing returns), and use the proceeds for other gear. I owned VC and Stellia and sold the latter. I found it a little too bright and the bass somewhat boomy at times (with blastbeats).

Happy hunting!
Oh you say blast beats? Black metal? I listen to a lot of black metal. Vc better?

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,401 of 6,330
Oh you say blast beats? Black metal? I listen to a lot of black metal. Vc better?
I listen to all kinds of metal. The VC is a great headphone, both for metal and other genres. I think it's my favorite closed back headphone.

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #1,402 of 6,330
Have had my 9200s for a few days now, have had T5 G3 for a few weeks. Enjoying the headphones. Surprised that so far, I like the sound of the T5s better. There's less brightness to it, and less spaciousness to the upper frequencies, but there seems to be a bit more punch and pump to the other frequencies. I'm not sure whether there's a veil or not, but I think the frequencies I enjoy listening to are brought to my attention and placed closer spatially to my ears. Need more time to know for sure. I feel like I can somewhat turn up the volume on the T5s to make up for the dip in the high-end and have an overall more enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,403 of 6,330
I was in the same boat half a year ago. I deliberated between the Stellia, the ATH-AWKT, and the Vérité Closed. In the end, the latter won the battle. The ZMF flagship is something special, especially in the mid and low frequencies; vocals are lush with good authority, yet teeming with detail. The same positives can be ascribed to its bass section, which is one of the best in the headphone space, IMO.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,404 of 6,330
Have had my 9200s for a few days now, have had T5 G3 for a few weeks. Enjoying the headphones. Surprised that so far, I like the sound of the T5s better. There's less brightness to it, and less spaciousness to the upper frequencies, but there seems to be a bit more punch and pump to the other frequencies. I'm not sure whether there's a veil or not, but I think the frequencies I enjoy listening to are brought to my attention and placed closer spatially to my ears. Need more time to know for sure. I feel like I can somewhat turn up the volume on the T5s to make up for the dip in the high-end and have an overall more enjoyable experience.
That's an interesting POV. I'm not a fan of bright, strident highs - I may be treble sensitive - but the AH-D9200 borders on the very precipice of a clear and sparkling presentation; it avoids straying into sibilant or harsh territory. If you find the highs on the Denon a little too bright, and you enjoy the T5 (3rd Generation) better, you may be even more averse to treble than I am.

There's nothing wrong with your preference, anyway. Your ears are the best judges of sound; if you prefer one headphone over another, who's to say that you're wrong? :)

Anyway, enjoy!

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,405 of 6,330
I think that's a pretty decent price for one of the better bass-centric headphones within that price segment.

I haven't compared the AH-D7200 with the AH-D5200 together for some time now; however, I found the latter a more energetic headphone. It contrasts well to the AH-D7200 in overall technical refinement, but raises the stakes in the engagement department.

Hi, so do you "remember" how the 7200 would perform, and do you think GH50 would be a possible step up without loosing too much of refinement, separation and bass layering?

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,406 of 6,330
While someone in the SEM5 thread has posted his impression on the Pioneer, i've spend the whole day to listen to them and make a comparison with my D9200.
It was a pleasure and an ear opening happening. :L3000:

Here are my thoughts:
Oh ah, and excuse the somewhat long phrasing with my stumbling english. ^^

After a brief listening there's on thing i can say definitely:

The SEM5 is a bit shouty in the mid-mids (^^) and very demanding for power, thou doesn't need much to be driven.

Tested them on the Mojo and on my R28.
(Surface Pro 7 using Tidal over usb, R28 in OS8 mode)
Need to raise the volume on the Mojo few steps (7-8) compared to the D9200.
Level 60 out of 99 on the R28 (SEM5) and 57 (D9200)(level matched with an app), which means around 10% power (super exponential volume characteristic of the R28 ).

I've to say, my benchmark headphone is my Era-1, which i've level match at 69 out of 99 on the volume dail. :wink:
All further impressions are coming from listening with the R28.
I don't listen at high volume on headphones. :wink:

Puuh. What should i say.
Listen to Justin Timberlake - Say something, the SEM5 didn't show his capabilities on the Mojo, on the R28 you'll get a sense of.
The bass, impact and quality, on the R28 is better to that from the Mojo, which mirrors the massive power the R28 has.
Never expect that this way before.

The presentation of the sound is more like being on a concert(SEM5) than in a club (D9200) while listen to Frozen Crown - Fail no more from The Fallen King.
None of the instruments nor the voices were pronounced over the others on SEM5, while the mids on the D9200 are a bit emphasized.
Some may like that, some don't. :wink:

I think the SEM5 will benefit from a slightly increases eq at around 2k by 2 or 3 db to bring the voices a bit in front, what i prefer.
But on the whole sound presentation (out of the R28) there's nothing more to add, imo.

It is not in your face like the D9200, who isn't, compared to other closed back headphones. 😉
In that regard, i like both sound presentations for different reasons and purposes.

Listening to Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage, i find the "laid back" presentation on vocals more pleasant on the SEM5.

Playing Kamelot - Forever live from the 013, the D9200 is really engaging while the SEM5 has a more natural performance for that Live show.
Nonetheless, i like both for its own. :)

Continue with Tom Day - Who we wants to Be, what stands out was the sound of the xylophone, which sounds more natural and pleasant from the SEM5.
On the D9200, it reaches some piercing tones and a somewhat overemphasized metallic scheme.
The percussion, starts at 1:52, sounds more distant on the D9200, which imo isn't right in this track. (Crosstested with the Era-1.)

Next one is Krewella - Love outta me.
The quality of the bass is there on both headphones, while the impact on the D9200 is better, the kickbass sounds better on the SEM5.
Really strange to me. :thinking:
Details on the D9200 are outstanding thou.
The Era-1 has more low bass and goes deeper than the other 2.
Really exciting.

After a little break to acclimate my hearing i was listening to Alex Clare - You'll be fine from Tails of Lions.
A smooth track with nice details, great voice and good layering.
SEM5 shows deeper lows and better control than D9200 on this track.
Separation and layering are a strength of the D9200, but SEM5, despite his more mellowed presentation, is really close.
D9200 presents more clarity, imo.

Next round, i'd throw in Tingvall Trio - Hamnen from the Album "Beat".
Uuh, this is a really tough one.
Can't decide which one i'd prefer on this track.
The stage is broader on the D9200, but my thoughts are a bit confused with both headphones.
With the SEM5 it seems that i'd be closer to the double bass than the piano, which is exactly the opposite on the D9200. ^^
The piano sounds great on both, but the D9200 hasn't as much dynamic as the SEM5 in its presentation.

Listen to Sarah Jarosz - Greenlights from Undercurrent is somewhat different on them, but i like both.
Again, the double bass is more prominent on the SEM5 with a lot more body to it and sometimes a bit to much, imo.
On the D9200 it's more balanced, i'd say.
The guitars are better layered on the SEM5 with a more holographic imaging' downside is that the higher tones of the guitars could be a bit peaky, not so on the D9200. Stage on the D9200 is more compressed in comparison to the SEM5.

One song i've to listen to many times back and forth is Creation of Earth from Thomas Bergersen's Album "Sun", and right from the start i got shivers all over my body. :)
The SEM5 is a great performer here with a very "natural" presentation of the mood.
On this track, the D9200 is a bit too much forward in comparison to the Pioneer, but someone may say that the Pioneer is a bit shouty in this part, which leads me to look at a large auditorium with the SEM5 rather than with D9200 being in front of the stage.
Clarity and imaging is great on both, but the D9200 excels in that regard.
The SEM5 delivers a smoother presentation here.

Great example for their diversity is the track Hunting high and low from Stratovarius' Album "Infinite".
While the D9200 is playing this track like you're in the studio yourself, the SEM5 will bring you to a live concert.
The Denon on this track is, well, very "hunting" and forward. :)

Another song which is fixed in my listening to various headphones is Hold Mig Fast from Medina's Album "Grim".
The lows in this track in combination with here amazing voice are somewhat stirring.
Both headphones show great rumble down low, with the D9200 in front by a bit (both make use of their large cellulose nano fiber drivers at its best) with more weight to the very deep notes.
I've to say, none of them has the impact the Era-1 brings to the table, but they've this lovely smooth reverberation, only a good dynamic driver is capable of. :)

I've to stop here bc i'm in the mood to write a book about, i guess. Haha. :smile:

You've to give the SEM5 some time and listening to acclimate with its nature, i'd say.
It's a great headphone that stands side by side to such high-end closed backs like the D9200.
The comfort is really good. Despite the weight, it distributes it pretty well and after some time it tends to disappear bc of the big soft and plush earpads.

The Pioneer Monitor 5 is meant to be driven properly and shows a mellow mid presentation with well extended bass down low and good detail retrieval, imo.
Acoustic music and classical are my preferred genres with, but it plays very well on pop too, where it is showing a relaxed character.
The D9200 is a great allrounder and stands on his own, i'd say.
Easily driven and with a bit emphasized mids, it goes down to the really lows without any effort, though not overbearing like its little brother, the D7200.
My preferred genre for is metal, edm, aaah forget about, just throw all you have in your arsenal at. ^^
Oh, and it's a great headphone for listening at low volume levels.

Still 2 keepers in my small collection. :thumbsup:

Have a great day and keep listening to good music.

Chris

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,407 of 6,330
Of course my friend. I'm gonna be even more patient this time. Hopefully in a week I'll share some impressions.!
Finally I got them! The Pearls are beautiful, can't compare them with red or blue, but they are astonishing.!

1559B554-7EFA-4155-A92E-73983FF9AA9B.jpeg

Comfort wise, the headband is really comfortable, a lot of space for my ears and head. Really happy so far.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,408 of 6,330
Finally I got them! The Pearls are beautiful, can't compare them with red or blue, but they are astonishing.!

1559B554-7EFA-4155-A92E-73983FF9AA9B.jpeg

Comfort wise, the headband is really comfortable, a lot of space for my ears and head. Really happy so far.
Nice one.
Guess they're looking better in RL. :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,409 of 6,330
While someone in the SEM5 thread has posted his impression on the Pioneer, i've spend the whole day to listen to them and make a comparison with my D9200.
It was a pleasure and an ear opening happening. :L3000:

Here are my thoughts:
Oh ah, and excuse the somewhat long phrasing with my stumbling english. ^^

After a brief listening there's on thing i can say definitely:

The SEM5 is a bit shouty in the mid-mids (^^) and very demanding for power, thou doesn't need much to be driven.

Tested them on the Mojo and on my R28.
(Surface Pro 7 using Tidal over usb, R28 in OS8 mode)
Need to raise the volume on the Mojo few steps (7-8) compared to the D9200.
Level 60 out of 99 on the R28 (SEM5) and 57 (D9200)(level matched with an app), which means around 10% power (super exponential volume characteristic of the R28 ).

I've to say, my benchmark headphone is my Era-1, which i've level match at 69 out of 99 on the volume dail. :wink:
All further impressions are coming from listening with the R28.
I don't listen at high volume on headphones. :wink:

Puuh. What should i say.
Listen to Justin Timberlake - Say something, the SEM5 didn't show his capabilities on the Mojo, on the R28 you'll get a sense of.
The bass, impact and quality, on the R28 is better to that from the Mojo, which mirrors the massive power the R28 has.
Never expect that this way before.

The presentation of the sound is more like being on a concert(SEM5) than in a club (D9200) while listen to Frozen Crown - Fail no more from The Fallen King.
None of the instruments nor the voices were pronounced over the others on SEM5, while the mids on the D9200 are a bit emphasized.
Some may like that, some don't. :wink:

I think the SEM5 will benefit from a slightly increases eq at around 2k by 2 or 3 db to bring the voices a bit in front, what i prefer.
But on the whole sound presentation (out of the R28) there's nothing more to add, imo.

It is not in your face like the D9200, who isn't, compared to other closed back headphones. 😉
In that regard, i like both sound presentations for different reasons and purposes.

Listening to Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage, i find the "laid back" presentation on vocals more pleasant on the SEM5.

Playing Kamelot - Forever live from the 013, the D9200 is really engaging while the SEM5 has a more natural performance for that Live show.
Nonetheless, i like both for its own. :)

Continue with Tom Day - Who we wants to Be, what stands out was the sound of the xylophone, which sounds more natural and pleasant from the SEM5.
On the D9200, it reaches some piercing tones and a somewhat overemphasized metallic scheme.
The percussion, starts at 1:52, sounds more distant on the D9200, which imo isn't right in this track. (Crosstested with the Era-1.)

Next one is Krewella - Love outta me.
The quality of the bass is there on both headphones, while the impact on the D9200 is better, the kickbass sounds better on the SEM5.
Really strange to me. :thinking:
Details on the D9200 are outstanding thou.
The Era-1 has more low bass and goes deeper than the other 2.
Really exciting.

After a little break to acclimate my hearing i was listening to Alex Clare - You'll be fine from Tails of Lions.
A smooth track with nice details, great voice and good layering.
SEM5 shows deeper lows and better control than D9200 on this track.
Separation and layering are a strength of the D9200, but SEM5, despite his more mellowed presentation, is really close.
D9200 presents more clarity, imo.

Next round, i'd throw in Tingvall Trio - Hamnen from the Album "Beat".
Uuh, this is a really tough one.
Can't decide which one i'd prefer on this track.
The stage is broader on the D9200, but my thoughts are a bit confused with both headphones.
With the SEM5 it seems that i'd be closer to the double bass than the piano, which is exactly the opposite on the D9200. ^^
The piano sounds great on both, but the D9200 hasn't as much dynamic as the SEM5 in its presentation.

Listen to Sarah Jarosz - Greenlights from Undercurrent is somewhat different on them, but i like both.
Again, the double bass is more prominent on the SEM5 with a lot more body to it and sometimes a bit to much, imo.
On the D9200 it's more balanced, i'd say.
The guitars are better layered on the SEM5 with a more holographic imaging' downside is that the higher tones of the guitars could be a bit peaky, not so on the D9200. Stage on the D9200 is more compressed in comparison to the SEM5.

One song i've to listen to many times back and forth is Creation of Earth from Thomas Bergersen's Album "Sun", and right from the start i got shivers all over my body. :)
The SEM5 is a great performer here with a very "natural" presentation of the mood.
On this track, the D9200 is a bit too much forward in comparison to the Pioneer, but someone may say that the Pioneer is a bit shouty in this part, which leads me to look at a large auditorium with the SEM5 rather than with D9200 being in front of the stage.
Clarity and imaging is great on both, but the D9200 excels in that regard.
The SEM5 delivers a smoother presentation here.

Great example for their diversity is the track Hunting high and low from Stratovarius' Album "Infinite".
While the D9200 is playing this track like you're in the studio yourself, the SEM5 will bring you to a live concert.
The Denon on this track is, well, very "hunting" and forward. :)

Another song which is fixed in my listening to various headphones is Hold Mig Fast from Medina's Album "Grim".
The lows in this track in combination with here amazing voice are somewhat stirring.
Both headphones show great rumble down low, with the D9200 in front by a bit (both make use of their large cellulose nano fiber drivers at its best) with more weight to the very deep notes.
I've to say, none of them has the impact the Era-1 brings to the table, but they've this lovely smooth reverberation, only a good dynamic driver is capable of. :)

I've to stop here bc i'm in the mood to write a book about, i guess. Haha. :smile:

You've to give the SEM5 some time and listening to acclimate with its nature, i'd say.
It's a great headphone that stands side by side to such high-end closed backs like the D9200.
The comfort is really good. Despite the weight, it distributes it pretty well and after some time it tends to disappear bc of the big soft and plush earpads.

The Pioneer Monitor 5 is meant to be driven properly and shows a mellow mid presentation with well extended bass down low and good detail retrieval, imo.
Acoustic music and classical are my preferred genres with, but it plays very well on pop too, where it is showing a relaxed character.
The D9200 is a great allrounder and stands on his own, i'd say.
Easily driven and with a bit emphasized mids, it goes down to the really lows without any effort, though not overbearing like its little brother, the D7200.
My preferred genre for is metal, edm, aaah forget about, just throw all you have in your arsenal at. ^^
Oh, and it's a great headphone for listening at low volume levels.

Still 2 keepers in my small collection. :thumbsup:

Have a great day and keep listening to good music.

Chris

Very interesting.

I am in the process of upgrading from a Denon 7200 as I wrote earlier on, atm I am on the fence with different options, being a straight upgrade with the 9200, knowing that the sound signature should be conserved (?), The TAGO STUDIO T3-01, or again the GH5 or the Magni (the lower price in this case might end up in a sidemove rather than step up?).

I don't like recessed mids and look for visceral, fast bass... Not too clinical in details but good separation and intimate soundstage.

All this using an R2R000 Red DAP mainly, in 4.4 balanced (no problem for access to custom cables in case).

In your opinion (I mean all of you), if you know how the 7200 sounds, what would be the "smartest" move?
Tnx

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,410 of 6,330
Very interesting.

I am in the process of upgrading from a Denon 7200 as I wrote earlier on, atm I am on the fence with different options, being a straight upgrade with the 9200, knowing that the sound signature should be conserved (?), The TAGO STUDIO T3-01, or again the GH5 or the Magni (the lower price in this case might end up in a sidemove rather than step up?).

I don't like recessed mids and look for visceral, fast bass... Not too clinical in details but good separation and intimate soundstage.

All this using an R2R000 Red DAP mainly, in 4.4 balanced (no problem for access to custom cables in case).

In your opinion, if you know how the 7200 sounds, what would be the "smartest" move?
Tnx
What you've wrote about your preferences is like painting the D9200 on a wall. ^^

I don't know the other headphones you've listed above, so my knowledge is quite limited.

In case you consider an open back, i heartly recommend to autition the Era-1.
Not to buy them straight, more to know what you can get for less money. :wink:
It shares most similarities with the D9200, with less pronounced mids and nearly the same bass presentation, but faster and, uuh, sometimes more oomph in mid to low bass.

What you've to keep in mind is how much the volume output can change the frequency output of a headphone, which mirrors the capabilities of the driver itself.

The D7200 is a laidback sounding headphone with lots of, maybe the most i've heard to date, bass. ( it sometimes was to much for my listening )
The bass on the D9200 is faster, goes as deep as the D7200s, but without that sheer amount of, let's say quantity. ^^
That makes the bass of the D9200 more articulated and even better, i'd say.
The mids in comparison, are a bit recessed on the D7200. Same goes for the highs, but without hinting the details in the music, which are there on the D7200 obviously.
The D7200 has a relaxed presentation against the D9200, in fact you can turn the volume a tad higher without getting tired.
But i've to admit that none of them are sounding bad to me, just different.

A hugh point for the D9200, besides the sound, is the comfort for long term listening.
As i said before, the headband is so much better compared to the D7200s.
It follows the natural shape of the skull and is solid, which gives a better support to the padding and therefor doesn't create that annoying hotspot on top, at least on my head. :)
As the headband has a smaller radius on the D9200, it weakens the clamping force of the ear cups, which is a good sight.
If i could get a broken D9200 for cheap, i'd take it and use the headband for the D7200, seriously. :)
The "flat" and inconsistent, bc segmented, headband of the D7200 is a pain in the ***, imo and ime.

With a R2R NOS dac like my R28, i'd go with the D9200 instantly, ooh, i did it right away. ^^

One hint i have is to look for shallower pads for the D7200.
This will bring the driver closer to your ear, which accentuates the mids and highs a bit.
Maybe this could be the small thing the D7200 sounds even better to you. :wink:
For example, push the cups to your head gently, this'll create nearly the same effect.

As long as i said, the D9200 is a worthy upgrade for me, especially with a price tag lower than 1300 € it's an instant take.

Just have a listen before you jump on bc everyone has different hearing.

All the best on your journey.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back