The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #601 of 6,330
Alright, to follow up on my previous post. These are my impressions. I'm no reviewer, so I'm just going to describe what I hear as best I can.

First, I know I could stand to let the Stellia burn in more. I have left the headphones playing music even when I'm away since I got them but I understand it might not be enough. However, I don't think the main difference that I find separates these two headphones is going to change much even after burning in. I've looked at descriptions of these headphones from others and it seems to fall in line.

Both headphones are very detailed. I'm not going to dwell much in detail retrieval because I find both to be very resolving. The Stellia is brighter with more slam. It has excellent clarity, especially in the highs. It's also more dynamic but at the same time, that quality can make it a little fatiguing. The highs can be a bit harsh sometimes. Because of how dynamic it can be, it can cause you to brace for parts in the song where you know a louder high note is coming. Not too bad, though. The base is tighter and punchier. The headphone is also lighter but not actually more comfortable at stock (I say at stock because there are easy ways too fix this). The headband, like in other Focal headphones, is not cushioned enough.

The Verite Closed has better soundstage and imaging. Imagine is excellent. The sound stage is wider than the Stellia's which surprised me. It's warmer/darker in sound. Enough that when compared with brighter headphones, like the Stellia, it can give the impression that it sounds less clear. However, it also has excellent detail retrieval. The base is more pronounced (although with less slam) but it can be a bit bloomy sometimes. That is, it decays more slowly and it can muddle the sound a bit in some songs (just a tad). The good thing is this can be tamed a bit by switching pads. I found this bloominess to be a little less with the Suede pads, maybe because there's less reverb. The VC are certainly less fatiguing for long listening sessions but sometimes it's a bit too inoffensive. The same quality that makes it non-offensive can sometimes leave you wanting for that extra oomph in the highs. It's very comfy but heavier so you might feel the weight after a few hours. Not too heavy, though.

All in all, I wish these two would stop fooling around and just had a baby already! I'd love to keep the clarity, slam and tightness of the Stellia and combine it with the soundstage and imaging of the VC.

If I were to only use one of these to exclusively for music, I'd keep the Stellia. The features that can make it a little bit fatiguing also make it more fun! Where as with the VC, as great as they sound, they are so laid back that your attention might start roaming away from the music. The Stellia will bring you back into focus. Especially when drums come in. That slam... so good.

All that said, because I'm not going to use the pair I keep just for music, but also for everything else I do on my PC, including the occasional gaming, I think I'm going to have to let the Stellia go. To me, the amount the VC is better at soundstage and imaging is greater than the amount the Stellia is better at slam and clarity. I wish I could keep them both. I shall miss you Stellia.

Look for the Stellia in the For Sale section soon if you're interested. In my pursuit to find a VC+Stellia child, I'm looking to try the Audio Technica ATH-AWKT next.
That was a great read and a close call...! You're right that the VC does suffer somewhat from a rolled off treble and absolutely can be a bit too "polite," but the other merits you mention fully make up for those flaws. I'm happy you're moving onto the AWKT next. I will try to offer up my own VC vs AWKT comparison this weekend. I have grown to really love the AWKT the longer I have them. They're almost perfect for me.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #602 of 6,330
That was a great read and a close call...! You're right that the VC does suffer somewhat from a rolled off treble and absolutely can be a bit too "polite," but the other merits you mention fully make up for those flaws. I'm happy you're moving onto the AWKT next. I will try to offer up my own VC vs AWKT comparison this weekend. I have grown to really love the AWKT the longer I have them. They're almost perfect for me.
Looking forward to your comparison!

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #603 of 6,330
Call me a negative Nancy but seems to me they just bought some stuff from Alibaba put it together and decided it's worth allmost 800usd. And that screw on cable? Why would anyone do that in 2020.

€ 66,30 35%OFF | 101mm Over Ear Headphone DIY Wooden HiFi Headphone Housing Bluetooth Headphone Shell Case DIY 40MM 50MM 53MM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrckwu5

€ 56,11 35%OFF | 53MM 24 ohm Nano-fiber Diaphragm Headphone Speaker Unit HiFi DIY for AH-D9200 Headphone Driver Loudspeakers 105dB/W
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP8bmrx
Perhaps an idea for me to try after my frankenbeyer project I've got for this weekend :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #604 of 6,330
DId’t know thread like this exist, and so active too! Definitely a nice change, As most dedicated headphones thread can devolve into just echo chamber of the same thing repeated again and again most times... it gets boring quite fast.
This tho, knowing the scarcity of a new closed back option compared to Open ones, I sure would love to hear about these more.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #605 of 6,330
Alright, to follow up on my previous post. These are my impressions. I'm no reviewer, so I'm just going to describe what I hear as best I can.

First, I know I could stand to let the Stellia burn in more. I have left the headphones playing music even when I'm away since I got them but I understand it might not be enough. However, I don't think the main difference that I find separates these two headphones is going to change much even after burning in. I've looked at descriptions of these headphones from others and it seems to fall in line.

Both headphones are very detailed. I'm not going to dwell much in detail retrieval because I find both to be very resolving. The Stellia is brighter with more slam. It has excellent clarity, especially in the highs. It's also more dynamic but at the same time, that quality can make it a little fatiguing. The highs can be a bit harsh sometimes. Because of how dynamic it can be, it can cause you to brace for parts in the song where you know a louder high note is coming. Not too bad, though. The base is tighter and punchier. The headphone is also lighter but not actually more comfortable at stock (I say at stock because there are easy ways too fix this). The headband, like in other Focal headphones, is not cushioned enough.

The Verite Closed has better soundstage and imaging. Imagine is excellent. The sound stage is wider than the Stellia's which surprised me. It's warmer/darker in sound. Enough that when compared with brighter headphones, like the Stellia, it can give the impression that it sounds less clear. However, it also has excellent detail retrieval. The base is more pronounced (although with less slam) but it can be a bit bloomy sometimes. That is, it decays more slowly and it can muddle the sound a bit in some songs (just a tad). The good thing is this can be tamed a bit by switching pads. I found this bloominess to be a little less with the Suede pads, maybe because there's less reverb. The VC are certainly less fatiguing for long listening sessions but sometimes it's a bit too inoffensive. The same quality that makes it non-offensive can sometimes leave you wanting for that extra oomph in the highs. It's very comfy but heavier so you might feel the weight after a few hours. Not too heavy, though.

All in all, I wish these two would stop fooling around and just had a baby already! I'd love to keep the clarity, slam and tightness of the Stellia and combine it with the soundstage and imaging of the VC.

If I were to only use one of these to exclusively for music, I'd keep the Stellia. The features that can make it a little bit fatiguing also make it more fun! Where as with the VC, as great as they sound, they are so laid back that your attention might start roaming away from the music. The Stellia will bring you back into focus. Especially when drums come in. That slam... so good.

All that said, because I'm not going to use the pair I keep just for music, but also for everything else I do on my PC, including the occasional gaming, I think I'm going to have to let the Stellia go. To me, the amount the VC is better at soundstage and imaging is greater than the amount the Stellia is better at slam and clarity. I wish I could keep them both. I shall miss you Stellia.

Look for the Stellia in the For Sale section soon if you're interested. In my pursuit to find a VC+Stellia child, I'm looking to try the Audio Technica ATH-AWKT next.
Nice comparison. If you wouldn’t have already made up your mind, I would have offered you my Upocc silver arctic cable (called Signum+). It does take away that slight excessive treble but at the same time extends the treble far. At the same time it extends the bass and gives it a bit more subbass rumble. Anyways, great you had the chance to compare them 👍👌

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #606 of 6,330
Nice comparison. If you wouldn’t have already made up your mind, I would have offered you my Upocc silver arctic cable (called Signum+). It does take away that slight excessive treble but at the same time extends the treble far. At the same time it extends the bass and gives it a bit more subbass rumble. Anyways, great you had the chance to compare them 👍👌
I appreciate the thought. Good to know.

PS. I didn't use a silver cable but I did run them on an OCC Arctic Cable balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #608 of 6,330
Call me a negative Nancy but seems to me they just bought some stuff from Alibaba put it together and decided it's worth allmost 800usd. And that screw on cable? Why would anyone do that in 2020.

€ 66,30 35%OFF | 101mm Over Ear Headphone DIY Wooden HiFi Headphone Housing Bluetooth Headphone Shell Case DIY 40MM 50MM 53MM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrckwu5

€ 56,11 35%OFF | 53MM 24 ohm Nano-fiber Diaphragm Headphone Speaker Unit HiFi DIY for AH-D9200 Headphone Driver Loudspeakers 105dB/W
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP8bmrx
Hmm, yes, those cups look awfully similar. Well, it appears that they've "DIY-ed" the externals; hopefully, they've done something to the drivers, too. I don't have access to anything from Romi Audio here, so it'll be nice if someone would be kind enough to chime in with their impressions, if and when they do get a hold of the HP-V100. :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #609 of 6,330

Excellent impressions! I'm in agreement with your general assessment of the 2 contenders. Although, it's been some time since I've heard the Stellia, but I remember thinking that the Vérité Closed was slightly ahead on the technical front, especially with micro-detail retrieval. Oh well, at this price point, you're splitting hairs, and you should, as these are some of the best performers on the contemporary market. :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #610 of 6,330
I'm eagerly awaiting the results of this battle, my friend! The ATH-AWKT is no slouch, and I think that it'll do very well against the Vérité Closed.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #611 of 6,330
Excellent impressions! I'm in agreement with your general assessment of the 2 contenders. Although, it's been some time since I've heard the Stellia, but I remember thinking that the Vérité Closed was slightly ahead on the technical front, especially with micro-detail retrieval. Oh well, at this price point, you're splitting hairs, and you should, as these are some of the best performers on the contemporary market. :)
I'm sure you're right. My ears are probably not as well trained. :sweat_smile:

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #612 of 6,330
If this is Z1r's little brother, I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing.

My issues with comfort, oh God... these are the most comfortable HPs I've ever tried... by far.!

V-Shaped with a lot of body, meaty bass, powerful vocals and mids, and even though it doesn't have the brightness and clarity of ATH's sound signature, the highs are there in a pleasant way.

One thing is clear, the D9200 is really a detail monster, however I'm really pleased with how Sony presents the resolution and sound in a balanced way at a $500 price point with these cans.

The Z1r is now definitely a target and I hope they drop their actual price of $1.699. Would this be possible on Black Friday?

@Malevolent or anyone, I really appreciate a comparison between these 2 Sonys.

Comfort is always going to be a game changer for me.

No problem, mate. I'll pit the 2 together over the weekend. In fact, I've never really done a head-to-head comparison of the 2 before, so this is something that I'm really looking forward to doing. I'll keep you posted!

Sony is a maestro at creating comfortable cans, IMO. Almost every single one of my Sony headphones feels fantastic on my ears (and my head) - the MDR-Z1R, MDR-Z7M2, WH-1000X4.. even the old Xtra Bass cans like the MDR-XB1000, MDR-XB700. They all have 2 things in common - a light frame, and really plush pads.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #613 of 6,330
Did you guys know that Romi-Audio also have their own closed back headphone??? I didn't and just saw some nice pics :)

https://www.romiaudio.com/product-page/romi-audio-headphone-hp-v100

Romi Audio Headphone HP-V100 Stereo overhead headphone 53mm freeflow nano fibre drive Wooden case 6N ofc inter connect cable SMC high frequency connector Including 2M Encryption Series Cable : Odor (OCC copper shielding cable ) Can choose 3.5, 2.5, 4.4 or 6.35 plug.

Information Input impedance : 24ohms Frequency response : 5-55,000 Hz Maximun power input : 1800mW Inspiration : 105dB/mW

Do we already have a dedicated Romi thread @F700? :wink:

This is the new Romi Audio thread if someone of you guys are interested :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/romi-audio-the-official-thread.945307/#post-15933122

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #614 of 6,330
No problem, mate. I'll pit the 2 together over the weekend. In fact, I've never really done a head-to-head comparison of the 2 before, so this is something that I'm really looking forward to doing. I'll keep you posted!

Sony is a maestro at creating comfortable cans, IMO. Almost every single one of my Sony headphones feels fantastic on my ears (and my head) - the MDR-Z1R, MDR-Z7M2, WH-1000X4.. even the old Xtra Bass cans like the MDR-XB1000, MDR-XB700. They all have 2 things in common - a light frame, and really plush pads.
Agreed - and add the old studio standard 7506 to that list. I don't know why other companies struggle to produce something comfortable for a range of head sizes or shapes.

For instance, I really like the sound of my HD6xx but the extreme clamp force and firm pads has me immediately uncomfortable and downright suffering after 20-30 mins.

Anyway, every Sony I've worn is super comfortable.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #615 of 6,330
Agreed - and add the old studio standard 7506 to that list. I don't know why other companies struggle to produce something comfortable for a range of head sizes or shapes.

For instance, I really like the sound of my HD6xx but the extreme clamp force and firm pads has me immediately uncomfortable and downright suffering after 20-30 mins.

Anyway, every Sony I've worn is super comfortable.
Yeah the 600s are famous for gripping your head like the jaws of death. Just keep using them and ten years from now you won't even notice it :D

Not only that but they squeeze at the worst possible points right behind my ears. Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna throw up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back