The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #571 of 6,351
Q

I'll write you up a list of recommendations if you do. My son's kindergarten is in a sort of audiophile quarter - about 5 shops all next to each other - which is fortunate.
Thank you!

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #573 of 6,351
The Stellia are in.

Stellia.jpg

The battle against the VC begins
VeriteC.jpg

Only one will survive. The other one will go on the classifieds forum.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #575 of 6,351
The Stellia are in.

Stellia in very good shape. What was the price? Enjoy them.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #576 of 6,351
Q

I'll write you up a list of recommendations if you do. My son's kindergarten is in a sort of audiophile quarter - about 5 shops all next to each other - which is fortunate.
Maybe is a good idea to leave your wallet at home when you go for your child :wink:

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #578 of 6,351
Lots of great posts from you @Malevolent :)
Yes. One of the Headfonia type of sites should hire him!
I know one of them who lives in Vienna. Met with him once to test out some gear. Very nice guy and down to earth. Maybe they need backing, so @Malevolent come on :wink:
Thanks for the kind words, my friends. The Headfonia guys are true professionals; I greatly enjoy their reviews. Along with sites such as Twister6, Headfonia is one of the gold standards for audiophile reviews on the web. :)

With that said, aside from enjoying audio, I'm also in this hobby to help my fellow audiophiles along the way. Audio isn't cheap, and if I can help someone choose that (near) perfect headphone, I'd actually consider that a "job done".

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #579 of 6,351
Well there is always economy of scale. If your whole family loves good audio then at least you can share gear. Imagine if you loved audio, your wife loved large-format photography, and your kid loved Swiss watches. Now that would be very bad :D
Yikes. Now, that's a truly scary thought!

Mmmm.. Time to install something like this?

1603227780106.png

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #580 of 6,351
The Stellia are in.

Stellia.jpg

VeriteC.jpg

Let the battle commence! :)

By the way, is that Leopardwood on your Vérité Closed? It looks a little like Monkeypod, but I can't really tell from that angle.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #581 of 6,351
This is the way to go! Looking forward to reading your impressions. Give the Stellia some time to shine. Happy listening! :)
I certainly will. Plus at the very least I need to wait until a pair of Verite pads
This is the way to go! Looking forward to reading your impressions. Give the Stellia some time to shine. Happy listening! :)
I certainly will. Plus I need to wait until I receive a pair of Verite pads I ordered to compare them to my satisfaction. One of the (minor) issues I have with the VC is that I find the bass a bit "bloomy" with any of the pads I tried (Auteur lambskin, Universe lambskin and Eikon suede). I'm hoping the Verite pads being more flat and putting my ear closer to the driver will help remove some of the "bloominess".

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #582 of 6,351
Thanks for the kind words, my friends. The Headfonia guys are true professionals; I greatly enjoy their reviews. Along with sites such as Twister6, Headfonia is one of the gold standards for audiophile reviews on the web. :)

With that said, aside from enjoying audio, I'm also in this hobby to help my fellow audiophiles along the way. Audio isn't cheap, and if I can help someone choose that (near) perfect headphone, I'd actually consider that a "job done".
Reading your posts guided me to a Z1r and I'm very greatful. As a bass guitar player I really wanted a headphone that delivered on a high level for bass and mid- bass frequencies and mission accomplished!

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #584 of 6,351
Great thread, guys -- I actually prefer open-back headphones, but about a year and a half ago I started looking for better closed backs because, well, sometimes closed really just makes a lot more sense. :)

I have ended up with some mid-fi gems I really do enjoy like the Focal Elegia, the Sony MDR-Z7 (first gen, which I know are loved/hated depending on whom you ask lol), the NightOwl, Shure SRH1540, and the Amiron Wireless -- but I am definitely lusting after many of the fine 'phones ya'll have been discussing, 'specially the ZMF Vérité Closed (man, those are gorgeous!) and the Denons and the Z1R, which I definitely want to have my ears in one day.

I'm noting the conspicuous absence of the much-hated HD 820, though, lol. I still want to try them someday, although I doubt I would ever pay what they're asking for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back