The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #6,106 of 6,351
Hi guys, I've been thinking about this for a while, I'm looking for the following in an ideal headphone:
- closed back or semi closed back
- planar drivers
- neutral or warm tuning
- great dynamics and punch (my guess is I need double sided magnets for that, which probably excludes a lot of closed back planars?)
= Basically an Audeze Sine or a M565C with improved dynamics...

What would be the closest thing to that right now according to you? The only one I see is the LCD-2 CB. Or the Rognir with EQ but different budget...
Audeze Maxwell.
As long as you don't care about soundstage.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #6,108 of 6,351
Mid to upper bass response and ~2-5 KHz response are key components to punch and impact, even some electrostatic headphone systems can do well here. This is a pretty good breakdown:

1705080717892.png

I don't recommend limiting search based on transducer tech, but as you say auditioning is the solution.
Mid to upper bass response and ~2-5 KHz response are key components to punch and impact, even some electrostatic headphone systems can do well here. This is a pretty good breakdown:

1705080717892.png

I don't recommend limiting search based on transducer tech, but as you say auditioning is the solution.
completely agree. But if one must have a planar for the experience and collection goals. The closed back planar with the best slam I have heard is Hifiman R10P. If you are open the dynamic you can go for any of the focals or Denons or ZMFs.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #6,109 of 6,351
completely agree. But if one must have a planar for the experience and collection goals. The closed back planar with the best slam I have heard is Hifiman R10P. If you are open the dynamic you can go for any of the focals or Denons or ZMFs.

Wow, that's surprising! I wouldn't expect that from the R10P nor the Susvara after having heard most of the HE1000 lineup. I'm waiting for price drops on the R10P Stealth since I want to try it. It's probably my favorite looking headphone, not that I buy for looks.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #6,110 of 6,351
I heard the R10P at a show a couple of years ago and slam is not the first word that came to my mind, I thought it sounded dead honestly.
I need to hear the closed back ZMFs someday for sure though...

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #6,111 of 6,351
Wow, that's surprising! I wouldn't expect that from the R10P nor the Susvara after having heard most of the HE1000 lineup. I'm waiting for price drops on the R10P Stealth since I want to try it. It's probably my favorite looking headphone, not that I buy for looks.
It has an amazing bass and relaxed but still very detailed treble and a little presence in the upper mids. Along with outstanding comfort and soundstage. I have the OG version which I bought for $3000.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #6,112 of 6,351
I heard the R10P at a show a couple of years ago and slam is not the first word that came to my mind, I thought it sounded dead honestly.
I need to hear the closed back ZMFs someday for sure though...
I have and have only heard the OG version and I definitely think it has bass slam. I run it off the Sony TA Z1es. For comparison imo it has better and more slam than Denon 9200, Mdr Z1R, and emperyeon.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #6,113 of 6,351
Hi guys, I've been thinking about this for a while, I'm looking for the following in an ideal headphone:
- closed back or semi closed back
- planar drivers
- neutral or warm tuning
- great dynamics and punch (my guess is I need double sided magnets for that, which probably excludes a lot of closed back planars?)
= Basically an Audeze Sine or a M565C with improved dynamics...

What would be the closest thing to that right now according to you? The only one I see is the LCD-2 CB. Or the Rognir with EQ but different budget...
DCA Aeon Closed. Closed X, Aeon 2, whatever.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #6,114 of 6,351
Honestly, all of this is subjective. What works for one may not others. All of the Dan Clark offerings I have heard lack life, punch or dynamics, rather boring to my ears. I loved the Denon D9200, many think it is a touch thin or bright up top. The Fostex TH900 has harsh treble to many to me it was fine, no harshness. There are no absolutes in this hobby. To further prove my point, I had the Denon, Stellia and Verite Closed at the same time and my rankings were the order I just wrote them.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #6,115 of 6,351
Honestly, all of this is subjective. What works for one may not others. All of the Dan Clark offerings I have heard lack life, punch or dynamics, rather boring to my ears. I loved the Denon D9200, many think it is a touch thin or bright up top. The Fostex TH900 has harsh treble to many to me it was fine, no harshness. There are no absolutes in this hobby. To further prove my point, I had the Denon, Stellia and Verite Closed at the same time and my rankings were the order I just wrote them.
I absolutely agree! The sad thing is there are many reviewers out there who are fanatical in their assertions that audio is objective and there are objectively bad headphones.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #6,116 of 6,351
I absolutely agree! The sad thing is there are many reviewers out there who are fanatical in their assertions that audio is objective and there are objectively bad headphones.
Which I why when I write I do my best to be clear that it is only my opinion. All of these "experts" need to realize the only thing they are an expert of is there own opinion.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #6,117 of 6,351
Does anyone have a ZMF earpad on their Ultrasone edition 8?

I'm guessing I'll need double sided tape, but....
I'm trying to see if there's a different way to do it (like a ZMF grado adapter!).

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #6,118 of 6,351
Fully agree that we get pulled into "shiny new toy" syndrome very often, with weekly or daily hypes a real thing.

Do I see you also have the Atrium Closed? How does that compare to the Eikon? Got an Eikon recently which I absolutely love, and the shiny bright temptation that is the AC is now siren-calling out to me...would appreciate any insights you might have to share. Cheers
Did you ever get answers to your questions?

I own and love both the Eikon and Atrium Closed. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #6,119 of 6,351
Amen. I think the key to reviews is finding a reviewer whose taste align with your own. Based on the above I need to read more of yours...

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #6,120 of 6,351
Did you ever get answers to your questions?

I own and love both the Eikon and Atrium Closed. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss.
Hey, very much. appreciated! You have shared some great insights across various threads regarding headphones and tube amps which have been very helpful to me, particularly as I don't have options to trial any gear or participate in any meet ups in my area. Thanks kindly!

I don't recall ever getting a reply, but in the interim I fell for the shiny new toy syndrome myself ( once again) and pulled the trigger on the Bokeh...it hasn't arrived yet, so unable to compare to my Eikon or others...but I see this as a reasonable option financially for me at present as I have come to the realization that I can't really afford/ justify cans much over $1,000 given my financial reality, so the Bokeh at release price seemed like a more realistic expense (there's that sweet, sweet self-justification again!!!).

Mind you, I am getting to the point where I may start downsizing and consolidating - and at that point look to reduce in order to step up in tier...but hopefully that will be a while away as I get to cycle through my current collection to learn more about differences and preferences.

I do also have my first OTL coming shortly (entry level, TA-26) and a few tubes so I'm going have quite a bit to play with for a while hopefully...

Thanks again for reaching out and all the sharing in the fora... enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back