The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #6,061 of 6,385
🤷‍♂️ Maybe a new contender (once more info is available)? I got a promotional email from Audio 46, but the link was dead (likewise on Moon Audio's site). Looks like they released the email a tad early, though it clearly says shipping this starting the 4th.

69b1c6c3-e992-47c5-a21f-1cf10a69c74c.png
Came here to discuss this!

What on earth is a Dual mode bass port?

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #6,062 of 6,385
🤷‍♂️ Maybe a new contender (once more info is available)? I got a promotional email from Audio 46, but the link was dead (likewise on Moon Audio's site). Looks like they released the email a tad early, though it clearly says shipping this starting the 4th.

Closed back sounds good to me… but they look really large. And the design… let’s say I’ve seen better. Also from Dan Clark

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #6,063 of 6,385
Hopefully these aren't as sibilant as the Noires.

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #6,066 of 6,385
It's news like this that make me feel good about dithering... Like imagine being a gamer, and buying something 6 months before Maxwell came out
I see this sentiment pervade too often in this hobby and it’s just not accurate.

This hobby is nothing like gaming/computer components. Newer is definitely not “better.” Someone might grab these and not jive with them at all, and prefer an older model.

Hell, I just picked up a pair of Eikons and found them better to my ears than the closed competition I’ve heard around the $1k mark. They launched in like 2016 or 2017?

This hobby is too subjective, and there really hasn’t been the kind of progress in acoustics like we’ve experienced in semiconductors. (IEMs are a different story with the market being more nascent.)

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #6,067 of 6,385
Yeah, the Aeon 2 Noire were great (for the whopping ~45 minutes I heard them recently) in terms of fit, build quality and frequency response. But....they sounded flat as a pancake; zero dynamics.

Same.

DMS (who thinks the Noire is the GOAT) said in his review that if you like the Noire, you'll like this, so...not too optimistic, but the impression was that it's still an improvement over the Noire in every way. I guess we'll see.

I haven't heard too many DCA headphones, but it seems like they all (at least the closed-back planars) kinda lack dynamics.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #6,068 of 6,385
I haven't heard too many DCA headphones, but it seems like they all (at least the closed-back planars) kinda lack dynamics.
They all do. I have the Aeon 2 closed with perforated pads, so effectively a Noire. The lack of dynamics, and particularly the damping of the trailing ends of tones annoyed me a lot once I actually homed in on what it did. The Stealth has better tonal balance than the Noire, but the dynamics are still very weak, especially at lower volumes because it doesn't have the Noire's bass hump at 100 Hz to provide quantity. The Expanse suffers less because it has more mid-bass to offset those weak dynamics, but they aren't actually better, just masked by the tuning. The Corina on the BHSE seems to suffer the least from that lack of dynamics, but it still trails other headphones. That lack of dynamics is part of Dan Clark's tuning philosophy. Unless he has reversed his position on avoiding transient level overshoots, I would not expect dynamics to improve on any of his newer designs.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #6,069 of 6,385

I love the looks and form factor but am concerned about dynamics. Most DCA headphones I have heard lack dynamics and sound too sterile and analytical to me. But I am trying to keep an open mind.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #6,070 of 6,385
Yeah, unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the stealth at all. I was holding off buying the Rognir to hear the stealth first, since I'd never heard a DCA and it was in the same price range for a closed back. After hearing the stealth I couldn't click the button to order the Rognir fast enough lol.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #6,071 of 6,385
Yeah, unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the stealth at all. I was holding off buying the Rognir to hear the stealth first, since I'd never heard a DCA and it was in the same price range for a closed back. After hearing the stealth I couldn't click the button to order the Rognir fast enough lol.
Yeah I heard the Stealth and didn’t feel anything or hear anything exceptional. It was like it was dead. Very Little impact or dynamics. Very sterile and lifeless.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #6,073 of 6,385
I see this sentiment pervade too often in this hobby and it’s just not accurate.

This hobby is nothing like gaming/computer components. Newer is definitely not “better.” Someone might grab these and not jive with them at all, and prefer an older model.

Hell, I just picked up a pair of Eikons and found them better to my ears than the closed competition I’ve heard around the $1k mark. They launched in like 2016 or 2017?

This hobby is too subjective, and there really hasn’t been the kind of progress in acoustics like we’ve experienced in semiconductors. (IEMs are a different story with the market being more nascent.)
Fully agree that we get pulled into "shiny new toy" syndrome very often, with weekly or daily hypes a real thing.

Do I see you also have the Atrium Closed? How does that compare to the Eikon? Got an Eikon recently which I absolutely love, and the shiny bright temptation that is the AC is now siren-calling out to me...would appreciate any insights you might have to share. Cheers

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #6,074 of 6,385

Lol they're 2k so forget it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back