The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 26, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #6,031 of 6,418
That now asks for a definition of portability I’d say. The ZMF cans are not in that category for me either (maybe even bulkier than the D9200, but at least most will fold flat as far as I know), but I’ve seen people wear a T5 around their neck, so I won’t judge :wink:

For something very compact to transport the Noire sure is an interesting option. Yet for portable use it seems to require a bit too much power, yet might work with the right source.

So… are we talking about listening while walking, listening while on a train/plain, listening at a hotel or holiday home?

I won’t comment on ZMF, they simply don’t appeal to me and therefore I never spent much time with those.

D9200 would work maybe for trains for me, but I wouldn’t do that due to size. Isolation is not as bad as many say though. But this is the hotel or holiday home category.

Same for Z1, with even less match for trains due to less isolation and more bulk.

Noire might work for the walking scenario and isolates well enough, yet requires a rather powerful source. Folds into compact storage as well.

The already mentioned Beyer T5 might also be an option, it isolates well and is easy to drive. Quite bulky though and it doesn’t fold down.

For walking around I’ve been using the original M-100 to great satisfaction the past few years. It has a fun sound signature, isolates quite well, folds into a compact ball and is robust. Hard to find though nowadays.

The new breed of high end Bluetooth headphones like Bathys, B&O H95 etc never clicked with me. Had the APM for a while but never used them outside. Tried the Bathys but did not quite like it (ok, I generally don’t like the Focal tuning)

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #6,032 of 6,418
It seems that I'm almost alone when I found the 9200s treble unbearable for my ears... I suffered a lot with them (I mean when I considered to sell them) because with some albums the experience was awesome, but with others... The worst was when I tried to play Hollow Knight with them and my ears almost started to bleed :rolling_eyes:

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #6,033 of 6,418
It seems that I'm almost alone when I found the 9200s treble unbearable for my ears... I suffered a lot with them (I mean when I considered to sell them) because with some albums the experience was awesome, but with others... The worst was when I tried to play Hollow Knight with them and my ears almost started to bleed :rolling_eyes:
Everybody has different expectations and preferences of course, but while definitely not subdued I never found the D9200 fatiguing. The TH900 was that to me though, so it’s not that I’m immune to treble… ultimately it was the reason I sold my TH900 many years ago, it was just stressful to listen to for me.

Might of course have something to do with the source, but I mainly used my Hugo 1, not some good natured tube amp with polite treble.

As always, listening experiences cannot easily be transferred between persons without some common ground… and even that is unreliable. So back to try out for oneself I guess…

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #6,034 of 6,418
Everybody has different expectations and preferences of course, but while definitely not subdued I never found the D9200 fatiguing. The TH900 was that to me though, so it’s not that I’m immune to treble… ultimately it was the reason I sold my TH900 many years ago, it was just stressful to listen to for me.

Might of course have something to do with the source, but I mainly used my Hugo 1, not some good natured tube amp with polite treble.

As always, listening experiences cannot easily be transferred between persons without some common ground… and even that is unreliable. So back to try out for oneself I guess…
I had the same problem with the TH900. I modded it heavily to fix that but ended up still preferring the 9200 over it.

The 9200 is be the best "Fostex" headphone available.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #6,035 of 6,418
I had the same problem with the TH900. I modded it heavily to fix that but ended up still preferring the 9200 over it.

The 9200 is be the best "Fostex" headphone available.
Exactly my sentiment. I even bought some felt to put in front of the drivers on the TH900, but ultimately decided to sell it. I do miss those beautiful red cups though…

And yes, the D9200 is, to me, the most refined of that old Foster/Fostex heritage.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #6,036 of 6,418
I also had some problems with the highs on 9200 and sold them too.

I ended up finding the Gjallarhorn JM MK2 to be the very best dynamic closed back available, preferd them way more than the ZMF Verite Closed. The Rognir Planar is the best available closed back there is.

Though, I would imagine, the JM XTC2.5 is just as good or better than the XTC2.5. I haven't had a chance to try them yet but hope to at some point.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #6,037 of 6,418
Exactly my sentiment. I even bought some felt to put in front of the drivers on the TH900, but ultimately decided to sell it. I do miss those beautiful red cups though…

And yes, the D9200 is, to me, the most refined of that old Foster/Fostex heritage.
You could always buy a pair of the cups and swap out the bamboo ones the 9200. Or look into the Lawton cups.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #6,038 of 6,418

I ended up finding the Gjallarhorn JM MK2 to be the very best dynamic closed back available, preferd them way more than the ZMF Verite Closed. The Rognir Planar is the best available closed back there is.

Though, I would imagine, the JM XTC2.5 is just as good or better than the XTC2.5. I haven't had a chance to try them yet but hope to at some point.
I still love my GH 50 MKII. I listened to them this morning. I also found the Rognir Planar to be a special headphone.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #6,039 of 6,418
How are 7200 and 5200 compared to 9200?
I had only the 7000, only the bass hump inflated the mid bass a lot, I sold them.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #6,040 of 6,418
I’ve never tried a Kennerton headphone before, but I’m interested.

Would any of them be recommended for someone who is treble sensitive?

The pictures on the website make it look like the Gjallarhorn JM has quite small ear cups, but it’s hard to tell…

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #6,042 of 6,418
I’ve never tried a Kennerton headphone before, but I’m interested.

Would any of them be recommended for someone who is treble sensitive?

The pictures on the website make it look like the Gjallarhorn JM has quite small ear cups, but it’s hard to tell…
People who love treble would consider it a dark headphone. To me it's mildly dark and smooth, great for those who are sensitive to treble but want a full, lush, and extremely dynamic performance. The pads are plenty big for my ears, bigger than those found on the Magni.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #6,043 of 6,418
Thanks guys! Sounding promising so far. How's the isolation, though? With a closed-back that expensive, I really want to make sure it's blocking out a decent amount of background noise (which is more of a concern for me than sound leakage as I usually listen alone).

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #6,044 of 6,418
Thanks guys! Sounding promising so far. How's the isolation, though? With a closed-back that expensive, I really want to make sure it's blocking out a decent amount of background noise (which is more of a concern for me than sound leakage as I usually listen alone).
Not sure which headphones we're talking about here, but if you some of the best isolation, I'd recommend Focal. Maybe grab the Radiance.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #6,045 of 6,418
Not sure which headphones we're talking about here, but if you some of the best isolation, I'd recommend Focal. Maybe grab the Radiance.

Oh, I know Focals have the best isolation--it's practically like having active noise-cancelation. But I was asking about the Gjallarhorn JM or any of the Kennerton closed-backs.

I have tried a few Focals (including the Radiance, albeit briefly) and I wasn't sold on the tuning and also found them to be a bit heavy and uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back