The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #5,551 of 6,418
Does the Denon D5200 get much love in the closed back headphone community? How does it compare to CB headphones in its price range? Or is it better to spend a bit more still?

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #5,552 of 6,418
Does the Denon D5200 get much love in the closed back headphone community? How does it compare to CB headphones in its price range? Or is it better to spend a bit more still?
For the retail price and based on my personal experience, I would suggest that there are better closed backs out there. The Kennerton Magni immediately comes to mind. If you can grab a gently used set for 400 bucks or less, I think it definitely holds it's own. It's fun, colorful and musical. Good headphone for rock, medal, and EDM.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #5,553 of 6,418
Let me know how you like it and what you're hearing pretty please! I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one myself
I'd definitely appreciate it.
So I've had a few days now to formulate some thoughts. I left a full review under the gear review section here on head-fi.

In short: They are dynamic, detailed, full of good bass, and have a better soundstage than most closed backs. This is a TOTL headphone for sure. It just gives us another sound signature here, adding to the list of usual characters mentioned in this thread. I would compare them to something towards a dynamic and detailed Focal headphone, putting them in that category a bit.

I thought they were worth the blind purchase, but that's a totally understandable concern as these are not mass produced and demoing them first will be hard. Since they are so customizable, it may be difficult to get an understanding for their sound qualities too. Someone will have them tuned a certain way, but that doesn't mean that's the only way. Remember, these are available with two different driver options as well.

It has been a really awesome experience though. I highly doubt I'll ever feel so connected to a pair of headphones again even if I find some that are technically as good or better. I'm also not a fan of the "best" word. I'll only just say these (or any headphone) is in the same zone as other top of the line headphones.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5,554 of 6,418
So I've had a few days now to formulate some thoughts. I left a full review under the gear review section here on head-fi.

In short: They are dynamic, detailed, full of good bass, and have a better soundstage than most closed backs. This is a TOTL headphone for sure. It just gives us another sound signature here, adding to the list of usual characters mentioned in this thread. I would compare them to something towards a dynamic and detailed Focal headphone, putting them in that category a bit.

I thought they were worth the blind purchase, but that's a totally understandable concern as these are not mass produced and demoing them first will be hard. Since they are so customizable, it may be difficult to get an understanding for their sound qualities too. Someone will have them tuned a certain way, but that doesn't mean that's the only way. Remember, these are available with two different driver options as well.

It has been a really awesome experience though. I highly doubt I'll ever feel so connected to a pair of headphones again even if I find some that are technically as good or better. I'm also not a fan of the "best" word. I'll only just say these (or any headphone) is in the same zone as other top of the line headphones.
Link to the review?

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #5,556 of 6,418
Need advice please….I am trying to decide between the Meze Liric and Denon D9200. I cannot audition them and have read and watched as much information as I can before making a decision, but I’m still undecided.

From the photos and videos, I like the look of the Lirics, but believe I may like the sound of the 9200s. I will EQ them using Crinacle’s convolution filters and send them music from Qobuz/Audirvāna out of my MBP. I would like to remain somewhat portable on a DAC/AMP and leaning toward the M12 or Hidizs G9 Pro. My music preferences are diverse, but I mostly listen to jazz trio (from Christian Sands/Benny Green to OP) but I also like Kenny Burrell. My other most favorite genre is deep house, electronica/lounge. It appears the Lirics are especially open to EQ and I wonder how they compare to the D9200s after being EQ’d?

Given my use case, any advice on these (and other HPs) and DAC/AMPs is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance - especially if you have/had either of these and can compare.

I have both of them and they sound completely different from each other. When I got my Liric, the D9200 was the headphone I tried to compare it to extensively and yeah, it's really difficult. I prefer Liric over D9200, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone would prefer otherwise.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #5,557 of 6,418
Hi guys,

I need your help...

Currently I have NAD VISO HP50, but the headphones are falling apart so I need to buy a new one.
I have had AKG K371 but they are a little to artificial for me, they hurt my ears little so I have sold them.

What I am looking for are closed-back headphones for multiple purpose like listening to music, watching movies, skype, youtube. The sound I prefer is that they are neutral/warm. Price range max 300€. What are my options?

Many thanks in advance!

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #5,558 of 6,418
I have both of them and they sound completely different from each other. When I got my Liric, the D9200 was the headphone I tried to compare it to extensively and yeah, it's really difficult. I prefer Liric over D9200, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone would prefer otherwise.
Many thanks for your comparison! I completely changed direction and purchased the Austrian Hi-X60 instead of either...

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #5,559 of 6,418
Many thanks for your comparison! I completely changed direction and purchased the Austrian Hi-X60 instead of either...
Excellent choice for sure. I loved its comfort and isolation, as well as its very balanced sound signature. Plus it’s very easy to drive, a big plus in my book.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #5,560 of 6,418
Hi guys,

I need your help...

Currently I have NAD VISO HP50, but the headphones are falling apart so I need to buy a new one.
I have had AKG K371 but they are a little to artificial for me, they hurt my ears little so I have sold them.

What I am looking for are closed-back headphones for multiple purpose like listening to music, watching movies, skype, youtube. The sound I prefer is that they are neutral/warm. Price range max 300€. What are my options?

Many thanks in advance!
While not exactly warm, you might want to look into the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X: engaging sound signature (with a rather tame treble compared to Beyerdynamic models of age), very good comfort, easy to drive.
More on the neutral side I‘d suggest to try out the Austrian Audio Hi-X60

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #5,561 of 6,418
Hi everyone.

what is the comparison between ZMF Atticus and ZMF VC?

I am thinking about purchasing one of the two because the price of the new product of Atticus and the used price of the VC are similar.

I am using Bifrost 2 and Loxjie P20 now, and I am going to add Toping L70.
Headphones are using Tagostudio T3-01, Hd820. It also purchased the Denon D2000 and will be equipped with a ZMF ORI pad.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #5,562 of 6,418
Hi everyone.

I am thinking about purchasing one of the two because the price of the new product of Atticus and the used price of the VC are similar.

Headphones are using Tagostudio T3-01, Hd820. It also purchased the Denon D2000 and will be equipped with a ZMF ORI pad.
New Atticus and used VC same price? VC, every day.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #5,564 of 6,418
The atticus is nice. Very warm and musical. But its a fair whack behind the Verite in technical prowess. If they are the same price, new/used, then its a no-brainer, UNLESS, you really prefer the super warm mid-bassy Atticus. VC more balance and sparkle, still warm, much better at everything else.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #5,565 of 6,418
Hi everyone.

I'm the odd ball I guess, but I liked the Atticus more. The Verite Closed was too warm, it sacrificed too much in the mids and highs... I like bass don't get me wrong, but I didn't find the VC punchy or dynamic enough. So it was just like having a blanket over your head, if that analogy makes sense. Like you were in a club with a blanket over your head. You hear the bass and thumping and all, but everything has this veil over it.

The only other ZMF I liked was the Caldera and I think the Eikon was alright as far as I can remember now.

I have to spend more time with the VC, but I was pretty surprised to not like it after all the positive things people had to say.

I'd really try before you buy at these price points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back