The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 16, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #5,521 of 6,418
The Audio Technica ATH-WP900 are just what you are looking for!
Would agree with that. The only drawback is that the look slightly ostentatious to walk around with. But otherwise, spot on.

MSR7B would be another idea.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #5,523 of 6,418
I may be asking for the impossible here, but what are people's recommendations for a compact, foldable (i.e. highly portable), easy to drive, and ideally good looking closed back? (And great sounding of course)

I have the AKG K361 with dekoni pads - sounds great but terribly built and looks ugly (IMHO).

Aeon noire would have been the answer were it not so hard to drive and less bulky.

Any thoughts?
For me the old V-Moda M-100 is exactly that: compact, portable, nice to look at yet understated, easy to drive, robust and very ich fun. I love them so much I own 9 (6 matte black, 3 white). Plus 4 wireless, one of the CF3 variant.

Edit: I don’t like the M-100 Master though.

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #5,524 of 6,418
I may be asking for the impossible here, but what are people's recommendations for a compact, foldable (i.e. highly portable), easy to drive, and ideally good looking closed back? (And great sounding of course)

I have the AKG K361 with dekoni pads - sounds great but terribly built and looks ugly (IMHO).

Aeon noire would have been the answer were it not so hard to drive and less bulky.

Any thoughts?
Dude. Its the Audio-Technica WP-900s.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #5,526 of 6,418
Neither the Msr7b or WP900 fold/collapse.
I was thinking that too, but the MSR7 is fairly sturdy. These are now my kids headphones and we take them when we travel. I definitely consider them a portable headphone due to weight, durability, and being easy to drive. Cups swivel so they can lay flat too...but definitely do not fold.

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #5,527 of 6,418

Any thoughts?
Actually, the much overlooked Austrian Audio HI-X60 checks all the boxes.

https://austrian.audio/headphones/hi-x60/

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #5,528 of 6,418
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #5,529 of 6,418
Excellent suggestion for a more balanced / neutral sound signature than the M-100. Very nice portable headphone indeed.
I agree. I often think about buying them again - it's really the best designed portable headphone out there (and also one of the best looking, IMO). Phenomenal build and a great performance overall. My only reservation was that they were slightly dry sounding, but perhaps EQ could remedy that.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #5,530 of 6,418
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the look of the WP900. Shame about the lack of foldability. I've also considered the Austrian Audio in the past but its built in the same vein as the K361. Really what I dream of is that Grado make a portable, foldable closed back because I love the retro look but I imagine I'll be dreaming for a long time.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #5,531 of 6,418
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the look of the WP900. Shame about the lack of foldability. I've also considered the Austrian Audio in the past but its built in the same vein as the K361. Really what I dream of is that Grado make a portable, foldable closed back because I love the retro look but I imagine I'll be dreaming for a long time.
The cups swivel flat which means the cups won't hinder sliding them into a bag. keep the provided bag in your rucksack for putting it in? I am not speaking from experience but am in similar boat as you. But the fact the cups swivel flat is a major difference to them going into a rucksack for sure.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #5,532 of 6,418
The cups swivel flat which means the cups won't hinder sliding them into a bag. keep the provided bag in your rucksack for putting it in? I am not speaking from experience but am in similar boat as you. But the fact the cups swivel flat is a major difference to them going into a rucksack for sure.
They couldn't really be more portable. They swivel flat, go in a hard case, and hardly take up any room. With a case like this that I use, there's room for a dongle or even a small DAP.

IMG_20200708_1330225_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back