The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,566 of 6,418
Does anybody have any direct experience comparing the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT and the Denon AH-D9200?

Would love to hear a comparison re: these two, particularly surrounding bass impact, sound stage and resolving capabilities.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #5,567 of 6,418
The atticus is nice. Very warm and musical. But its a fair whack behind the Verite in technical prowess. If they are the same price, new/used, then its a no-brainer, UNLESS, you really prefer the super warm mid-bassy Atticus. VC more balance and sparkle, still warm, much better at everything else.
If you find an Atticus at the same price as a Verité Closed, either the Atticus is overpriced or buy the Verité IMMEDIATELY (presuming the seller is legit). 😊

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #5,568 of 6,418
Hi everyone.

what is the comparison between ZMF Atticus and ZMF VC?

I am thinking about purchasing one of the two because the price of the new product of Atticus and the used price of the VC are similar.

I am using Bifrost 2 and Loxjie P20 now, and I am going to add Toping L70.
Headphones are using Tagostudio T3-01, Hd820. It also purchased the Denon D2000 and will be equipped with a ZMF ORI pad.
A major point to note here is the impedance of ZMF dynamic headphones- they are all 300 Ohm. If your amp doesn’t play well with high-impedance headphones, I’d either reconsider your amp or get different headphones.

As you can see from my signature and posts, I’m a BIG ZMF fan, but you need the appropriate gear to enjoy them. As a result there is a specific thread just on ZMF-appropriate amps. 😊 (They don’t have to be particularly expensive, just have the right capabilities)

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #5,569 of 6,418
Does anyone have experience with both the Denon D9200's and the Sony MDR-Z1R's?

Which would you prefer for fast-paced vocal EDM? I'm not really looking for analytical listening, I'm looking for a more 'dynamic' sound where you feel the music if that makes sense.

Oh, and I am willing to take any recommendations!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #5,570 of 6,418
A major point to note here is the impedance of ZMF dynamic headphones- they are all 300 Ohm. If your amp doesn’t play well with high-impedance headphones, I’d either reconsider your amp or get different headphones.

As you can see from my signature and posts, I’m a BIG ZMF fan, but you need the appropriate gear to enjoy them. As a result there is a specific thread just on ZMF-appropriate amps. 😊 (They don’t have to be particularly expensive, just have the right capabilities)
Thanks. After purchasing VC, I am planning to purchase an amplifier by referring to the thread..

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #5,571 of 6,418
Does anybody have any direct experience comparing the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT and the Denon AH-D9200?

Would love to hear a comparison re: these two, particularly surrounding bass impact, sound stage and resolving capabilities.
Although both headphones use dynamic drivers they exhibit, especially in the lower frequencies, opposite behavior.
The Denon is well extended and impactful while the AWKT is almost anemic compared to it. However both are well controlled and tight.
The AWKT is airier and borderline sibilant. The Denon is also peaky in the highs but it is the best implementation of the Foster-Denon family.
The AWKT is not an all rounder, it is however the best tuned headphone with the “Japanese” flavor that favors mainly female vocals. Very colored sound and a strong “try before you buy” case.
The Denon on the other hand is simply one of the best closed back headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #5,572 of 6,418
Does anyone have experience with both the Denon D9200's and the Sony MDR-Z1R's?

Which would you prefer for fast-paced vocal EDM? I'm not really looking for analytical listening, I'm looking for a more 'dynamic' sound where you feel the music if that makes sense.

Oh, and I am willing to take any recommendations!
I don't own any of these headphones anymore. But I would go with the Denon D9200 based on your preference. I think it's livelier and more dynamic with a great quality bass. I remember I thought the MDR-Z1R was more laid back with more distant mids and good sub bass. I understand you are asking about the sound. But there are many other things to take into account. For example, comfort wise, the MDR-Z1R is better. But I don't like its bulky size and design which was the main reason I returned it. I also sold the D9200 for several reasons, one of them being I didn't like a peak somewhere in the treble region.

I actually think the comfort factor is as important as the sound qualities. I mean it's hard to enjoy an uncomfortable headphone even if it sounds great.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #5,575 of 6,418
- Reposting from my original (misplaced) post -
Wondering if somebody can compare between the T50RP Argons, LCD-XC and ZMF Atticus. I know it's not an apple to apples comparison, at least moneywise, but everyone I've heard has nothing but praise for the Argons. Also curious how Kennerton Rognir Dynamic compare to them and ,to a lesser degree, the DanClark closed back line.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #5,576 of 6,418
- Reposting from my original (misplaced) post -
Wondering if somebody can compare between the T50RP Argons, LCD-XC and ZMF Atticus. I know it's not an apple to apples comparison, at least moneywise, but everyone I've heard has nothing but praise for the Argons. Also curious how Kennerton Rognir Dynamic compare to them and ,to a lesser degree, the DanClark closed back line.
Argons are a mess. I don't understand people's love of them personally.

LCD-XC and Atticus miles ahead.

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #5,577 of 6,418
Although both headphones use dynamic drivers they exhibit, especially in the lower frequencies, opposite behavior.
The Denon is well extended and impactful while the AWKT is almost anemic compared to it. However both are well controlled and tight.
The AWKT is airier and borderline sibilant. The Denon is also peaky in the highs but it is the best implementation of the Foster-Denon family.
The AWKT is not an all rounder, it is however the best tuned headphone with the “Japanese” flavor that favors mainly female vocals. Very colored sound and a strong “try before you buy” case.
The Denon on the other hand is simply one of the best closed back headphones.

Thank you for this, very helpful!

I very much enjoy the ADX5000, but it too also has its borderline sibilant qualities, at times; sounds like the AWKT might be tuned similarly.

So far, with my very brief time with the Denon 9200, it certainly seems to be one of the better all-rounders of the Closed-Back world, particularly for the price.

Jan 26, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #5,578 of 6,418
Thank you for this, very helpful!

I very much enjoy the ADX5000, but it too also has its borderline sibilant qualities, at times; sounds like the AWKT might be tuned similarly.

So far, with my very brief time with the Denon 9200, it certainly seems to be one of the better all-rounders of the Closed-Back world, particularly for the price.
Denon 9200 worth the extra over 7200?.. I'm coming from Sony WH XM3s!

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #5,579 of 6,418
Denon 9200 worth the extra over 7200?.. I'm coming from Sony WH XM3s
Denon 9200 worth the extra over 7200?.. I'm coming from Sony WH XM3s!
They are tuned different : the 7200 is much more tamed in the highs and therefore appears darker and less resolving.
If you however EQ they both can sound quite similar although the driver of the 9200 is slightly more resolving and dynamic.
However the most neutral tuning belongs to the 5200 which is an amazing headphone for the price.
Although the materials are not as luxurious as the 7200, I prefer the 5200 over the 7200.
But of course that’s according to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #5,580 of 6,418
They are tuned different : the 7200 is much more tamed in the highs and therefore appears darker and less resolving.
If you however EQ they both can sound quite similar although the driver of the 9200 is slightly more resolving and dynamic.
However the most neutral tuning belongs to the 5200 which is an amazing headphone for the price.
Although the materials are not as luxurious as the 7200, I prefer the 5200 over the 7200.
But of course that’s according to my ears.
Hm. That's OK . In general 9200>7200>5200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back