The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #4,096 of 6,351
Focal Celestee arrived today.

Right at the get go I can tell they fix the issues with my outgoing Elegia, which were bass anemic to the max.

More impressions to come, and comparisons to my Clear. Celestee can be had for a lot less than 1k these days, I found these for 620 new and sealed. So far I think they're doing a very good job of being a closed back Clear, which is high praise, and something their predecessor couldn't do at all imo....

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #4,097 of 6,351
I own a few ZMF headphones: I think that their headband design is the best. Weight is absolutely not an issue with the headphones, for me, given the distribution via the headbands.
In my opinion it's definitely not the best, but my Aeolus' are still very comfortable with the suede headband pad and universe ear pads. Design is besides the point though.

Have you owned or listened to the Aeolus? How do they compare to the Atticus?

The only big downside is the wait time from ZMF :slight_frown:

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,098 of 6,351
Nostoi commented (I think was in this thread) that he was listening to "Distant Satellites by Anathema" -the album-. Today, I was listening to that album and the song that entitles the album remind me a lot to @Malevolent and @plakat and other EDM lovers (you will hear why :relieved:). I think you will like it... Listen to it with the 9200s and tell me what you think about :L3000::beerchug:

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #4,099 of 6,351
I'm looking for some comparisons between a few ~$1,000 closed back headphones. I currently own and really enjoy the Aeolus LTD and HD600's. The HD600's have been in my possession since I joined Head-Fi (a while). Amplification is the GS-X Mk2 and WA22 with a Benchmark DAC-3 as the source.

I'm currently looking at the:
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire
  • Focal Celestee
  • Beyer T5 3rd Gen
  • ZMF Atticus (new addition)
These are based on reviews I've read and some past experiences with the original Aeon 2 Closed, Focal Elex, and the 2nd Gen T1's. Comfort is pretty high on the list, which is why I left off Audeze. I had a pair and absolutely hated the comfort. But I'm curious to hear thoughts from those that have owned any of these headphones and how they compare.
Hmm, right off the bat, I'd strike the T5 (3rd Generation) off of the list, since it's tonally disparate from the 2nd-gen T1; the revised T5 is dark, bass-heavy, and is the least engaging headphone of this lot. It's great for a relaxing listen, though, thanks to its smooth, liquid signature.

The Atticus reins in the bass a tad, and lightly boosts the treble, thus affording a smidgen greater semblance of balance in comparison to the new T5. The lows are still rather prominent, but it doesn't permeate the lower midrange as much as the T5 does. The Atticus is brilliant for simply enjoying your music, thanks to its slightly-boosted frequency ends that afford a healthy blend of low-end thump and high-end sparkle.

The AEON 2 Noire (and the original "Closed") is Dan Clark Audio's take on "fun" with his planar drivers. It has greater linearity than the aforementioned 2 options, but combines planar speed and punch in the lows with a somewhat musical tinge. Plus, it's the lightest of the bunch; the AEON 2 Noire is also one of the most comfortable headphones on the market.

Lastly, the Celestee has a relatively balanced sound with a pervasively warm hue. Thanks to its smooth tone, it lacks the engagement of the Atticus and the AEON 2 Noire, trading treble energy for polished highs that are free of harsh peaks. The lower registers feature a slightly-raised bass shelf, the leanest of the lot. Still, there is good texture and thump to be found.

If comfort remains a top priority for you, the AEON 2 Noire is quite simply, the best choice. Plus, it is also the most transportable option here, as it can collapse into a "ball".

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #4,100 of 6,351
Nostoi commented (I think was in this thread) that he was listening to "Distant Satellites by Anathema" -the album-. Today, I was listening to that album and the song that entitles the album remind me a lot to @Malevolent and @plakat and other EDM lovers (you will hear why :relieved:). I think you will like it... Listen to it with the 9200s and tell me what you think about :L3000::beerchug:

Was actually listening to Anathema along with early doom metal - especially My Dying Bride - today. Seems to be fitting music to the current state of the world....

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #4,101 of 6,351
Was actually listening to Anathema along with early doom metal - especially My Dying Bride - today. Seems to be fitting music to the current state of the world....
The world has always been messed up. It just wasn't publicized 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All we can do is find and hang on to the good.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #4,102 of 6,351
On the subject of comfort, I picked up a gently used ZMF Eikon last weekend (with brand new pads) and they totally disappear on my big noggin, even with glasses. I've had them on all my waking hours for several days now and have had no fatigue, no hotspots.

My username came from the fact that I'm very sensitive to headphone comfort.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #4,103 of 6,351
The world has always been messed up. It just wasn't publicized 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All we can do is find and hang on to the good.
Quite; that's why I have to immerse myself in obsessing over headphones/gear to maintain composure and well-being. :beerchug:

Of which, I've been listening to the MSR7B today with a Chord Mojo. I think the MSR7B was a headphone you were looking at - I can't recommend it enough. Such fantastic value; very precise imaging and detail retrieval, natural timbre (albeit light on bass and with an accent on upper mids), and very musical. Pairs so well with warmer sources such as the Mojo, and also Sony's DAPs.

I wonder if @Malevolent can think of another headphone slightly more refined (i.e., higher-end) with the same/similar tuning? (None of the top-tier Audio-Technica headphones that I went through had this tuning, aside from ATH-AP2000Ti).

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #4,104 of 6,351
Have you owned or listened to the Aeolus? How do they compare to the Atticus?
Tonally, identical to my ears.
Stage goes to Aeolus ever so slightly, but neither are staging masters. Same goes for the air.
Mid bass slam goers to Atticus, which IMO gets in the way to an extent with faster metal, so I do not count that as a strike against the Aeolus. Both hit quite hard.
Sub bass I do not recall as its been quite awhile since I had them here, but neither dig down super deep. If sub bass is a priority I'd look at the Eikon.
Treble on both is rolled off, giving both a warm, musical, non-fatiguing presentation.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #4,105 of 6,351
Hmm, right off the bat, I'd strike the T5 (3rd Generation) off of the list, since it's tonally disparate from the 2nd-gen T1; the revised T5 is dark, bass-heavy, and is the least engaging headphone of this lot. It's great for a relaxing listen, though, thanks to its smooth, liquid signature.

The Atticus reins in the bass a tad, and lightly boosts the treble, thus affording a smidgen greater semblance of balance in comparison to the new T5. The lows are still rather prominent, but it doesn't permeate the lower midrange as much as the T5 does. The Atticus is brilliant for simply enjoying your music, thanks to its slightly-boosted frequency ends that afford a healthy blend of low-end thump and high-end sparkle.

The AEON 2 Noire (and the original "Closed") is Dan Clark Audio's take on "fun" with his planar drivers. It has greater linearity than the aforementioned 2 options, but combines planar speed and punch in the lows with a somewhat musical tinge. Plus, it's the lightest of the bunch; the AEON 2 Noire is also one of the most comfortable headphones on the market.

Lastly, the Celestee has a relatively balanced sound with a pervasively warm hue. Thanks to its smooth tone, it lacks the engagement of the Atticus and the AEON 2 Noire, trading treble energy for polished highs that are free of harsh peaks. The lower registers feature a slightly-raised bass shelf, the leanest of the lot. Still, there is good texture and thump to be found.

If comfort remains a top priority for you, the AEON 2 Noire is quite simply, the best choice. Plus, it is also the most transportable option here, as it can collapse into a "ball".
Great, thanks for the response. I may have to give them a shot to confirm the suspicion.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #4,106 of 6,351
Quite; that's why I have to immerse myself in obsessing over headphones/gear to maintain composure and well-being. :beerchug:

Of which, I've been listening to the MSR7B today with a Chord Mojo. I think the MSR7B was a headphone you were looking at - I can't recommend it enough. Such fantastic value; very precise imaging and detail retrieval, natural timbre (albeit light on bass and with an accent on upper mids), and very musical. Pairs so well with warmer sources such as the Mojo, and also Sony's DAPs.

I wonder if @Malevolent can think of another headphone slightly more refined (i.e., higher-end) with the same/similar tuning? (None of the top-tier Audio-Technica headphones that I went through had this tuning, aside from ATH-AP2000Ti).
Mmm, for the life of me, I can't quite recall the exact tuning of the ATH-MSR7B at this present time.

With that being said, when I think of a closed headphone that combines (relatively) good imaging and resolution, a relatively natural timbre, a slight hint of warmth, a tight bass section, and a tad forward upper midrange, the Audeze LCD-XC comes readily to mind. It even retains a slight musical streak. For its asking price of $1,300, it is quite the bargain in the top-end closed-back space. :)

@Quadfather

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #4,107 of 6,351
Mmm, for the life of me, I can't quite recall the exact tuning of the ATH-MSR7B at this present time.

With that being said, when I think of a closed headphone that combines (relatively) good imaging and resolution, a relatively natural timbre, a slight hint of warmth, a tight bass section, and a tad forward upper midrange, the Audeze LCD-XC comes readily to mind. It even retains a slight musical streak. For its asking price of $1,300, it is quite the bargain in the top-end closed-back space. :)

@Quadfather
Perfect. I have Sony DAPs.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #4,108 of 6,351
On the subject of comfort, I picked up a gently used ZMF Eikon last weekend (with brand new pads) and they totally disappear on my big noggin, even with glasses. I've had them on all my waking hours for several days now and have had no fatigue, no hotspots.

My username came from the fact that I'm very sensitive to headphone comfort.
Despite being rather large and bulky, the headphones in ZMF's table are comfortable to use, relatively speaking. Case in point - I enjoy using my ZMF cans more than, say, any Focal headphone. The mass is a minor issue; the clamping force is a major one. In that regard, the ZMF headphones pass my litmus test.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #4,109 of 6,351

@Quadfather
The tuning of the MSR7B is rather lean, with a slightly sub-bass elevation, mid-bass dip, flat mids, and then your classic Audio-Technica upper mid sparkle.

Ah, nice. Will definitely have to check out the LCD-XC, then (having also been badgered by @toodles1978 about it for some time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back