The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,236 of 6,351
I put my M-100 on the Chord TT2 yesterday ... OMG these scale well - I am still amazed :)
I've used them with my old Hugo (Version 1) at times... yes, they respond very well to a good source. And they are just so much fun :)
That always reminds me of Tylls review of the M-100 where he states "I'm in love"

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,238 of 6,351
I'm saving my money up for a TH-900 MK2. The TR-X00 PH were my favorite headphones (RIP) and I've been searching for awhile for a worthy upgrade but skipping over the TH-900 each time since It was just a bit too much. I've been thinking about picking up one used. I feel like I see them pop up for 1k-1.2k which isn't a bad deal.
I haven't personally heard the Purpleheart version of the TR-X00, but I've read that the bass is heavier on them, in contrast to the TH900 Mk2. The latter has a boosted bass section, but it's not excessive; at least, not in the sense that you only hear a wall of bass creeping into the lower midrange. Rather, the lows are very tastefully done, blending good levels of mid-bass punch with an extended sub-bass rumble that brings a lot of energy and kick into your music.

To be honest, they are fun, through and through. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them. :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #2,239 of 6,351
Is it indeed. I am currently listening at ~50% on medium gain, so plenty of headroom with the Radiance. Which I acquired recently, and like very much, by the way. I also tried the Empyrean, but I did not enjoy that combination. Probably not due to a lack of power though, as the Empyrean is also quite sensitive.
The Empyrean looks like a headphone that requires a lot of juice; surprisingly, though, I've found that it can be driven by many DAPs.

I enjoy the Empyrean a lot, though. Despite being a professed closed-back addict, the Meze flagship reigns as my favorite open-back headphone.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #2,241 of 6,351
I have to admit that my D9200 is currently resting in my shelf… I‘ve been using my M-100 (which I just love) and more recently my new Austrian Audio Hi-X25BT. It’s really good, much better than its price tag should allow.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austrian-audio-hi-x25bt.959007/
My old M-100 is flaking away; the pads were the first to go. Now, the headband and its case are suffering from a severe case of the "peels". Still, I greatly enjoyed using them. It's just a portable, fun, well-built headphone.

I put my M-100 on the Chord TT2 yesterday ... OMG these scale well - I am still amazed :)
This sounds like overkill for the M-100, but, well, as long as you're happy. Enjoy, mate! :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,242 of 6,351
I haven't personally heard the Purpleheart version of the TR-X00, but I've read that the bass is heavier on them, in contrast to the TH900 Mk2. The latter has a boosted bass section, but it's not excessive; at least, not in the sense that you only hear a wall of bass creeping into the lower midrange. Rather, the lows are very tastefully done, blending good levels of mid-bass punch with an extended sub-bass rumble that brings a lot of energy and kick into your music.

To be honest, they are fun, through and through. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them. :)
I'm ready to lose some of that bass in favor of greater technicalities in other aspects of headphone. All I am looking for is fun and a good immersive experience when I am playing games. I'm hoping its like my TR-X00 all grown up lol

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #2,243 of 6,351
Audeze LCD 2 closed version. Thoughts ?
Better options at same (ish) price level ?
That also look as cool ?
Mmm, what are you looking for in your (new) headphone?

Do you want a somewhat balanced headphone with slight levels of warmth and good planar bass? And also something really heavy? That's the LCD-2 Closed Back for you.

However, if you desire a different sound, there are other interesting options around that price range. Let us know. :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,244 of 6,351
Manowar* with the Focal Celestee :wink:

* not really :wink: no really :D
I'm a total metal noob - I don't listen to this genre at all. 80s Rock is about as far as I go. And maybe some Linkin Park? Heh.

I tried searching for Manowar. This is what I got. :eyes:

1628712831745.png

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,245 of 6,351
I'm ready to lose some of that bass in favor of greater technicalities in other aspects of headphone. All I am looking for is fun and a good immersive experience when I am playing games. I'm hoping its like my TR-X00 all grown up lol
I'd say that that's a succinct description of the TH900 Mk2 - it's a grown-up version of the TH-X00 / TR-X00.

Despite its "fun" and "v-shaped" monikers, the TH900 Mk2 has decent-to-good levels of technicalities, so it won't be found wanting in this particular department. As long as achieving absolute clarity is not a primary objective, you'll do fine with the "big" Fostex.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,246 of 6,351
I'm a total metal noob - I don't listen to this genre at all. 80s Rock is about as far as I go. And maybe some Linkin Park? Heh.

I tried searching for Manowar. This is what I got. :eyes:

1628712831745.png
Ha! Please - whatever you do, never do an image search for Manowar! They're best listened to but never seen.

You've selected a real gem here, too!

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,247 of 6,351
Hi.Is that the original 100,or the new master?
I prefer the original M-100, I think it presents a bit more subbass (my special area of interest)
The Master has a bit better controlled bass I think, but is also a bit less fun. Replacing the mesh on the inner side of the headband with pleather as a good idea though... yet I'm selling my Master

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,248 of 6,351
My old M-100 is flaking away; the pads were the first to go. Now, the headband and its case are suffering from a severe case of the "peels". Still, I greatly enjoyed using them. It's just a portable, fun, well-built headphone.
Absolutely. The peel is why I already got several spare pads... and a second M-100 :wink:

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #2,249 of 6,351
Ha! Please - whatever you do, never do an image search for Manowar! They're best listened to but never seen.

You've selected a real gem here, too!
Ha! The wonders of Google Image Search.

Well, at the very least, Manowar will be the first name to come to mind the next time I'm asked to name a Heavy Metal band. I won't be forgetting them, ever. :joy:

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,250 of 6,351
I prefer the original M-100, I think it presents a bit more subbass (my special area of interest)
The Master has a bit better controlled bass I think, but is also a bit less fun. Replacing the mesh on the inner side of the headband with pleather as a good idea though... yet I'm selling my Master
The M-100 Master and the M-200 haven't been as well received as the original M-80 and M-100; they have barely made an impression, at least on Head-Fi. Could it be due to the fact that V-MODA, under the auspices of Roland, has chosen to move its signature away from a bass-heavy, dark, musical one to a more balanced, studio-centric sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back