The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,221 of 6,351
Allow me one noobie question. Do you (closed back lovers) feel significant difference in thermal comfort on your ears, compared to open back headphones? I use BT closed back now for video conferencing, which usually is not longer than one hour, so my ears have time to rest. But for music listening I have Ananda, which is very transparent (not only in terms of sound, but also in terms of air flowing through). I'm currently contemplating about acquiring some warm, dark headphones to complement Anandas, and they are typically in closed back form (T5, Denons etc.).

In my admittedly limited experience, it depends on the relative size of your ears to the cups. I find the BT Sonys that I use for video conferencing hot because the cups are small, but the audiophile headphones I’ve tried all have pretty generous cups so it’s less of an issue. I wouldn’t want to exercise in them though.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2,222 of 6,351
Yeah, that's the strategy. Get your wife to join the cult.. gang.. band of brothers. :smiling_imp:

Keep working at it, mate. One day, she might actually see the wonders of headphones and/or IEMs. Just hope that she doesn't get too deep into the hobby. :wink:
My wife likes my headphones and listens with me…and she will tell you which one she likes more….but she would be happy with a much lower quality headphone too if she was given a choice. I dont think she will get too deep into the hobby LOL.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,223 of 6,351
Allow me one noobie question. Do you (closed back lovers) feel significant difference in thermal comfort on your ears, compared to open back headphones? I use BT closed back now for video conferencing, which usually is not longer than one hour, so my ears have time to rest. But for music listening I have Ananda, which is very transparent (not only in terms of sound, but also in terms of air flowing through). I'm currently contemplating about acquiring some warm, dark headphones to complement Anandas, and they are typically in closed back form (T5, Denons etc.).
Admittedly, I haven't had extended listening sessions with open-back headphones; I don't own any. However, as open-backs are more... open (heh), naturally, air flow would be less constricted. With that being said, if comfort is a top factor, I've used some closed cans for hours with nary an issue. On the other hand, I've used open-back headphones that provided a major usability issue within the first 15 minutes of use (Audeze, I'm looking at you).

Closed headphones with a large(r) pads don't usually present major thermal issues, on or around your ears. Still, it's always good to give your ears a rest after a period of listening; say, every hour or so.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #2,224 of 6,351
My wife likes my headphones and listens with me…and she will tell you which one she likes more….but she would be happy with a much lower quality headphone too if she was given a choice. I dont think she will get too deep into the hobby LOL.
My wife is quite knee-deep in this hobby obsession of ours. She's quick to point out the flaws between myriad headphones and IEMs. Essentially, she'll take 2 headphones, listen for 15 minutes each, then put one away, and proceed to tell me why the other one... sucks. She'll go on and on about the bass, the treble, the midrange, and the detail, et al.

It's like seeing a caricature of myself. :sweat_smile:

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #2,225 of 6,351
Hey @MatW, good to see you here.

Wanted to drop by recent review of the 99 Classics in case this is of interest?

Thanks in advance for watching.

Do share feedback if any.

Great review Sajid!

They look great indeed, but I found them way too bassy for my taste. And I like bass..😁

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #2,226 of 6,351
Yes.
For me, most of the closed-back i've tried doesn't fit for long listening sessions with the need of comfort for, except some "Princess Leia" styled like the SEM5. :)

That's the main reason i've made my first serious steps on iems.

To my surprise, the FiiO FD5 is getting more headtime than my D9200. 🤷‍♂️
Guess, bc of the absence of restrictions to airflow around my auricles in summer times.

Winter will tell another story, i think. :)

All the best
Chris

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,227 of 6,351
Yes.
For me, most of the closed-back i've tried doesn't fit for long listening sessions with the need of comfort for, except some "Princess Leia" styled like the SEM5. :)

That's the main reason i've made my first serious steps on iems.

To my surprise, the FiiO FD5 is getting more headtime than my D9200. 🤷‍♂️
Guess, bc of the absence of restrictions to airflow around my auricles in summer times.

Winter will tell another story, i think. :)

All the best
Chris
Well, being in a hot and humid country, the air-conditioner is almost always on (in my room). Hence, listening to headphones doesn't produce a tremendous challenge, at least in terms of warmth. However, when I'm out and about, only IEMs could offer a pleasant listening experience. Using headphones in 35ºC weather with 80% humidity is simply insane. I recently tried walking about with my WH-1000XM4; let's just say, the pads got really wet from sweat. Ugh.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #2,228 of 6,351
Things are really quiet on the closed-back headphone front. What have you guys been listening to/with? :)

For one, I know @Terriero is enjoying the heck out of his AH-D9200. :wink:

Well, for me, I've suddenly discovered a new passion for the Focal Stellia. I've never fully enjoyed this headphone in the past (from a Hugo 2), but my recent audition using the Hugo TT 2 and an M Scaler has shone a new, positive light on the Focal. Yikes, what have I gotten myself into?

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #2,229 of 6,351
I have been enjoying this combo a lot in the past few days. :)

2D38D1CE-D9DB-4FB1-B79E-4820F1CB6729.jpeg

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,231 of 6,351
Things are really quiet on the closed-back headphone front. What have you guys been listening to/with? :)

For one, I know @Terriero is enjoying the heck out of his AH-D9200. :wink:

Well, for me, I've suddenly discovered a new passion for the Focal Stellia. I've never fully enjoyed this headphone in the past (from a Hugo 2), but my recent audition using the Hugo TT 2 and an M Scaler has shone a new, positive light on the Focal. Yikes, what have I gotten myself into?

I'm saving my money up for a TH-900 MK2. The TR-X00 PH were my favorite headphones (RIP) and I've been searching for awhile for a worthy upgrade but skipping over the TH-900 each time since It was just a bit too much. I've been thinking about picking up one used. I feel like I see them pop up for 1k-1.2k which isn't a bad deal.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,232 of 6,351
Nice, classy-looking combo! :)

Is that an N6ii-Ti? Are there any issues powering the Radiance, or other headphones?
Is it indeed. I am currently listening at ~50% on medium gain, so plenty of headroom with the Radiance. Which I acquired recently, and like very much, by the way. I also tried the Empyrean, but I did not enjoy that combination. Probably not due to a lack of power though, as the Empyrean is also quite sensitive.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #2,233 of 6,351
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,234 of 6,351
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,235 of 6,351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back