The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #136 of 6,351
A company I sadly don’t see mentioned that often on here is Ollo. Fans of warm neutralish cans should definitely take note. Their first closedback the S4R is a very enamouring listen. It doesn’t seem to do anything wrong and sort of pulls you into the music by way of warmth and a linear tuning up through the mids and treble. I often think of it as a refined and more neutral take on the 99 Classics.
It’s an easy drive and at least to me looks quite handsome in the ‘naked version’ I got it in:)
822CCF52-CA35-464B-A022-839BD9B105AD.jpeg
+1 for Ollo. It sound is honest as is it's price. Slight discomfort with the stock pads for me though; but they are changeable for any 90mm pad out there.

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #137 of 6,351
Another great closed back looks a lot like Ollo's big brother: Kennerton Magni
1597928356539.png

Slightly bigger with 95mm pads.

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #139 of 6,351
I have this cable. It's very nice, indeed and not really that expensive compared to other cables. Plugs fit perfectly on all my AT's except 2000Ti.

Seams the 2000Ti is a odd headphone. From it's connection to the sound etc. I am glad I did not get the 2000Ti but went with the ATH-AWKT even if they are more money.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #140 of 6,351
Yes, sorry, it was you! (I'm at last days of summer vacation with the kid, so my mind is full erosion).

The Null option looks promising. I can take a close up shot of the different A2DC plugs later today if it helps.
That would be very helpful, thanks! :)

If you have a photo of the different stock plugs used on your Audio-Technica cans, that would be great. It will certainly help any new AT owners obtain aftermarket cables easier, considering the unnecessary variances in fit.

I think Audio-Technica did drop the ball a little here - it would have been better if they used a universal size for their A2DC plugs; that way, all new owners can obtain 3rd-party cables without any hassles.

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #141 of 6,351
The third photo definitely looks similar to the ones I have for my 2000ti. And I believe you’re correct, the first photo should be the ones designed for iems, as the iem cables I received had a similar width on the casing around the connector. And sadly because of that casing, they didn’t fit the 2000ti :frowning2:.

@Malevolent @Nostoi these were some pictures I had taken and sent to the FDBRO cable makers around a week ago to see if I could convince them to make custom cables for the 2000ti style :). In the first picture, the left cable is the NewFantasia cable for ADX5000 / AP2000ti, and the right is the A2DC cable from FDBRO for iem’s. In the second to fourth picture, the left cable is the stock AP2000ti cable and the right is the same FDBRO iem cable.

I have since returned the iem cable because they do not have that extra part to extend into the 2000ti, but I believe that the iem cable should be fine for the WP900, AWAS and AWKT as those did not have recessed cups (from images).
Awesome! That has certainly resolved one of my concerns. Thank you.

I can't remember if the WP900 has a recssed socket, though. @Nostoi If you don't mind, could you confirm this for us? Thanks! :)

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #142 of 6,351
Awesome! That has certainly resolved one of my concerns. Thank you.

I can't remember if the WP900 has a recssed socket, though. @Nostoi If you don't mind, could you confirm this for us? Thanks! :)
I believe from the Japanese review far back into the 2000ti or WP900 thread, that it wasn’t recessed, or at least recessed too much. The review had pictures of the AWAS / AWKT cable working with the WP900 and vice versa, but none of those three’s cables worked with the 2000ti. I’m not sure if he tried the 2000ti cable on the rest but I’d assume they’d most likely work with any other A2DC connector headphone.

I also agree with you that in terms of sound signature, these are amazing, but the design choices of these headphones (pads touching ears, microphonic wires, different connector style etc) is a bit disappointing. Granted, if I recall correctly the AP2000ti and ADX5000 released earlier than the WP900, AWAS and AWKT, so maybe they are trying to make all newer and future audio technica headphones have the non recessed connector, and these are the test dummies.

At least I hope they streamline it more in the future, I’d rather not go back and forth between the recessed and non-recessed connectors :)

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #143 of 6,351
And on a more positive note, at least compared to the older AT closed backs, the newer AT headphones all have detachable cables :), so despite the issues, it’s a step in the right direction.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #144 of 6,351
Seams the 2000Ti is a odd headphone. From it's connection to the sound etc. I am glad I did not get the 2000Ti but went with the ATH-AWKT even if they are more money.
I guess you have to factor in that of course the design and materials are very different than the 3 woodies, which gives a different sound and build. They also came out somewhat earlier than the other models, so it may indeed - hopefully - be the case that Audio Technica are streamlining their cables and terminations with the newer models. The 2000Ti is tuned differently, and absolutely is not on the same par as the AWKT, but it's a very good headphone on its own terms. Underrated, especially for a portable headphone. I still feel the merits of the 2000Ti are somewhat untapped, and an excellent aftermarket cable might help bring those merits to the foreground.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #147 of 6,351
Sometimes I think that this topic is becoming the AT closed back topic :wink:
Which is fine, the headphones deserve a topic but that means I gotta take my Ollo and Kennerton praise somewhere else :)
Happy to hear more on other closed backs! Quite curious about Final's closed back (Sonorous VI & X, for example) if anyone has impressions.

I don't know Kennerton, I'm afraid, but they look pretty.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #148 of 6,351
Sometimes I think that this topic is becoming the AT closed back topic :wink:
Which is fine, the headphones deserve a topic but that means I gotta take my Ollo and Kennerton praise somewhere else :)
Sorry about that! This thread is for all things closed-back. They are often overlooked in many discussions about high-end headphones, so I thought that it'd be good to have a one-stop-shop to discuss about everything under the sun in the closed-back sphere. You're welcome to talk about any closed-back can, budget, mid-range, or high-end! :)

Unfortunately, I haven't had much experience with Kennerton's headphones, but the one that I am very interested in is, naturally, the closed-back Gjallarhorn. Unfortunately, there aren't many impressions and/or reviews available.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #149 of 6,351
Just so you all know jaben are doing the wp900 for 670sgd plus PayPal and shipping. Very good deal but he has limited stock

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #150 of 6,351
Here's some close up photos of the cable terminations and inputs on the headphones. Apologies for dodgy photos, hard to get a decent macro shot. The cables in order are: Silver Dragon, Larvicables, and the HDC114A by Audio Technica. Only the latter fits the 2000Ti. You should be able to see the difference in terms of the casing with headphones.

P1070294.JPGP1070295.JPGP1070302.JPGP1070298.JPGP1070299.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back