The Christmas Music Thread
Nov 2, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 46
Oh, there is one Christmas record that gives me joy:

B000034DII.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53948035_.jpg

Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics (from the South Park special)

Includes such classics as:
Merry screwing Christmas
O Holy Night (sung by Cartman)
The Lonely Jew on Christmas
What the Hell Child is This?
Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel
and "The Most Offensive Song Ever"

Please note: Parental Advisory - and how!

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #17 of 46
Leon Redbone - "Christmas Island"

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
I've always want to get the album Christmas Turkey by the Canadian band The Arrogant Worms. Featuring the number one hits "Vincent The Christmas Virus" and "Santa Got Arrested", it sounds perfect for us Scrooges.

That sounds like more my style. We Scrooges just don't any respect at Xmas - bah humbug.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 46
A well deserved bump for this thread goes to none other than...

Jimmy Smith - Christmas Cookin'

What an incredible smooth jazz Christmas albulm. I love Christmas music, and have about 100 titles, but this one always puts me in the mood. It's a great mix of audiophilia and Christmas goodness all in one. No rush to get anywhere, just lots of great riffs.

Ok, so I'm a bit of a Christmas not. I'll admit it. But this is really good stuff. I'm just getting started and will eventually work my way through most of my ever growing Christmas music collection, but this one really grooves.

On a side note, Santa has 19 gigs lined up so far for this season, most of which are company office parties/picnics where kids are present as well. The minimum charge is $100, and all of the moeny goes to the Women's Resource Center here in Grand Cayman. They have a wonderful program that helps women who have been victims of domestic violence, which is a cause that has been near and dear to my heart for years now. Last year, we (Santa, Mrs. Claus, Miss Claus, and the unisex Elf) raised nearly $2k and handed out 206 pounds of candy. This year, we hope to double these amounts!

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 46
School band/orchestra killed Christmas music for me. From 9 to 18, I played the same songs over and over and over and over for the inevitable Holiday Concert. We'd have to practice late for weeks, and I just burned out on the music. It brings back memories of dreary clock-watching and having to play while wearing Santa hats and other festive garb. My friends and I just dreaded it.

That being said, I went to see the Bare Naked Ladies' holiday concert last year and loved it. Great show and they are incredible live. Even had a childrens' chorus in there for a bit. Anyhow, I think they have a Christmas/holiday CD out. It's worth getting.

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 46
For female vocals, I recommend Diana Krall's Christmas Songs. Very groovy CD, despite little clipping pops. Jane Monheit's The Season should be pretty good too, though the only song I've heard off of it is "Sleighride." Very nice rendition.

Nov 18, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A well deserved bump for this thread goes to none other than...

Jimmy Smith - Christmas Cookin'

What an incredible smooth jazz Christmas albulm. I love Christmas music, and have about 100 titles, but this one always puts me in the mood. It's a great mix of audiophilia and Christmas goodness all in one. No rush to get anywhere, just lots of great riffs.

Ok, so I'm a bit of a Christmas not. I'll admit it. But this is really good stuff. I'm just getting started and will eventually work my way through most of my ever growing Christmas music collection, but this one really grooves.

On a side note, Santa has 19 gigs lined up so far for this season, most of which are company office parties/picnics where kids are present as well. The minimum charge is $100, and all of the moeny goes to the Women's Resource Center here in Grand Cayman. They have a wonderful program that helps women who have been victims of domestic violence, which is a cause that has been near and dear to my heart for years now. Last year, we (Santa, Mrs. Claus, Miss Claus, and the unisex Elf) raised nearly $2k and handed out 206 pounds of candy. This year, we hope to double these amounts!

Nice work Santa Wayne! Good luck on the fundraising.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #24 of 46
I just received the Cantus Joy 1 and Joy 2 albums today. The first volume was subtle (you wouldn't recognize it as Christmas music unless you paid attention), the second has some more traditional work on it.

Incredible all male vocal group, bought mainly because I love the group, just happens to coincide with the coming of the holidays.

--Chris

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 46
I love this album. Perfect for the holidays. It is hard to come by in the States, but if you like classical music, you will not be disappointed.

9690134.jpg

1. Comfort Ye, My People - Aksel Schiotz
2. Every Valley Shall Be Exalted - Aksel Schiotz
3. He Shall Feed His Flock - Margarete Matzenauer
4. O Come, All Ye Faithful - JOHN MC CORMACK
5. The Holy Child - JOHN MC CORMACK
6. Ave Maria - Rosa Ponselle
7. O Salutaris - Marcel Journet
8. The Virgins Lullaby - Claudia Muzio
9. The Infant Jesus - Giovanni Martinelli
10. Der Tannenbaum - Hulda Lashanska/Paul Reimers
11. Christmas - Ernestine Schumann-Heink
12. Silent Night - Ernestine Schumann-Heink
13. The Star Of Bethlehem - Richard Crooks
14. Coventry Carol - Elisabeth Schumann
15. Go Tell It On The Mountain - Dorothy Maynor
16. Little Child Of Mary - JOHN MC CORMACK
17. I Wonder As I Wander - Gladys Swarthout
18. Song Of The Birds - Victoria De Los Angeles
19. Christmas Candle - John Charles Thomas
20. A Star Was His Candle - Lawrence Tibbett
21. O Little Town Of Bethlehem - Richard Crooks
22. Cantique De Noel - Georges Thill
23. White Christmas - Richard Tauber

You can listen to the tracks here: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/9690134

Nov 19, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leon Redbone - "Christmas Island"

A [size=x-large]BIG [/size]x2 Best Christmas album ever.

Nov 19, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #30 of 46
Christmas seems to bring out the best and worst in mankind. Just look at the album collections!

James Taylor at Christmas is a newer Christmas album that is rather nice. James has a voice to carry a Christmas tune.

Baby, It's Cold Outside featuring Natalie Cole is a lot of fun. James is trying to open a Christmas giift early.

Have Yourself A Merry Little, A Christmas Song and Winter Wonderland are worth the album.

Jingle Bells seems to be the only major misstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back