The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #422 of 655
Thanks.
It's an entirely different look.
I put a coat of lacquer on it last night and the grain popped.  It matches the sides now.  I am very happy.

EDIT:  I really like the attenuator.  The step clicks are very smooth and the sound is great.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #424 of 655
I'm not sure I can tell the difference either.  They are very close.  I'm just pleased that it sounds good; very clean.  I also like the tactile clicks. I was worried about that but I think I like it better than a pot.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #430 of 655
Quote:

The DG 300B Amp delivers 10 W into an 8 ohm load (1 % THD). Clipping (3 % THD) happens at about 12 W. 

~Tom

This is fantastic.  My only concerns are sceleratus's comments that there is some noise.  What makes a great headphone amp is a simple test.

Play music on your most sensitive/efficient headphones about as loud as you like.

Then play a "silence" tack which is basically just digital null.   If you hear any noise it affects the SQ.  Its a better test of a headphone amp than any THD,IMD, FFT, etc.

I suspect this amp would pass the test with flying colors for orthos but may not for Grados and Senns,  which is fine really we all need more than one amp
wink_face.gif

I want to build something similar,  I really like the Madia regulator as I think it is a great step toward a black background SET.  But I am a little apprehiensive about the smps DHT heat.?

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #431 of 655
Quote:
This is fantastic.  My only concerns are sceleratus's comments that there is some noise.  What makes a great headphone amp is a simple test.

I suspect this amp would pass the test with flying colors for orthos but may not for Grados and Senns,  which is fine really we all need more than one amp
wink_face.gif

I want to build something similar,  I really like the Madia regulator as I think it is a great step toward a black background SET.  But I am a little apprehiensive about the smps DHT heat.?

I seem to recall that Sceleratus reported that using differential inputs took care of the noise. It's possible there was a ground loop in his first setup...
Regardless, I have some experiments underway for using output transformers with higher turns ratio for driving headphones. This should dramatically reduce any noise. I'll be testing this with my Sennheiser HD650.

I understand that some people fear switchers. I'm not really sure why. I compared a linear lab supply versus a switching supply for the 300B filament supply in an earlier 300B design of mine. You can see the results here: 300B Switchmode Filament Supply. I am not able to measure any significant difference between a linear supply and my switchmode supply. But the switchers are so much easier on cost and on the thermal budget.

~Tom

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #434 of 655
So does DG stand for dubstep girl? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back