The Chordette Gem by Chord Electronics
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Cankin

Headphoneus Supremus
An interesting new DAC with bluetooth and USB input by Chord, looks like a good computer source.

24%20-%20CHORDETTE%20GEM%20BLACK%20AND%20SILVER%20(2).JPG

38%20-%20CHORDETTE%20GEM%20YELLOW%20AND%20PHONE%20(2).JPG

products_detail.asp

71%20-%20CHORDETTE%20GEM%20CIRCLE%20SIDE%20VEIW%20(2).JPG

Chordette Gem, MSRP £399

and new QBD76 to replace DAC64

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the use of this?? I dont understand. how are these utilized?

It is a DAC it converts a digital signal to analog . You plug in a digital feed from a computer via USB and get an analog signal out. Or you can use the bluetooth protocol to feed it from a telephone, PDA or similar device should you so choose.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 19
Im surprised at such a product from a company like that. Looks like a gimmick.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im surprised at such a product from a company like that. Looks like a gimmick.

Bluetooth does look like a useless feature, but the fact that QBD76 also supports USB should make it very attractive for computer as a source minded. Any word on implementation?

MSRP? (EDIT: Sounds like in £3,000 ($5,911) ballpark
eek.gif
HIFICRITIC, audio review journal - hifi magazine)

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 19
i think bluetooth could be a really cool feature. Attach to it via bluetooth and you don't have to have the computer tethered to the amp.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think bluetooth could be a really cool feature. Attach to it via bluetooth and you don't have to have the computer tethered to the amp.

Wi-Fi would work tons better.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but as far as i am aware, bluetooth is nowhere near as good as cables. looks like a gimick to me.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It uses A2DP, while I don't really know about this technology but if it provides high SQ as promised, I'd really like to try one.

A2DP is just a comms protocol, it defines how the audio is "packaged", sent and reassembled, not the audio encoding itself which will still be whatever format you start with MP3, WAV, Lossless etc. The job of A2DP is to make sure it all gets transmitted and decoded correctly.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a DAC it converts a digital signal to analog . You plug in a digital feed from a computer via USB and get an analog signal out. Or you can use the bluetooth protocol to feed it from a telephone, PDA or similar device should you so choose.

im sorry i should have been clearer. I know what a dac is but i couldnt understand the wireless part of it... I mean a wireless dac? might be an ok idea.... imagine having the dac hooked up to some really nice speakers via amp or something. then access itunes via itouch as a remote. bring your music outside for a party or to the living room and use all that music from the pc. kinda cool....

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 19
...looks like a baby Chord DAC64 ...if the sound signature is anywhere close and, if it is firmware upgradable (there are some proprietary bluetooth technologies on the horizon that don't compress dynamics like current bluetooth stereo) ...then it could be a winner.

A Wadia (iTransport) and Chord for under $800 ...sounds promising. These were typically companies that offer superb quality, but at wallet-choking price. Nice to see the "trickle down" into products most people can afford.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 19
if Bluetooth can stream any audio format as well as wi-fi, this sounds interesting.
i wonder though, how much of the price is attributed to the BT technology rather than the DAC section. the information on the actual DAC design is pretty scant, and the ad copy reads like something dummied down for the iPod crowd instead of the audio enthusiast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back