The cheapest analog cable that is noticeably different from a stock cable
Jan 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

nick_charles

Headphoneus Supremus
Very simply I need to buy a cable of recognized and agreed superior audio quality for as little as possible. I want to run some tests on said cable and compare it against my own stock RCA cables.

As a student I really do not want to fork out big dollars but I do need a cable that cable afficionados agree is better than a supplied with RCA cable.

Cheers.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue Jeans Cables seems to be regarded as great value for money cables.
I have never tried them myself though, so can't say...

Precision Stereo Audio Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Many thanks for the reply. Sadly I need reccomendations from those with direct experience of said cables and also a statement that they are audibly different from stock, this
2nd part is important. I need to find a cable where there is consenus that a difference exists.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 36
You haven't mentioned what your stock cable is. If it's serious junk/broken/insufficient, you might do better with a different "stock" cable.

That said, I've had 30 dollar interconnects and 300 dollar interconnects and hear no difference. It's possible my mid-fi system doesn't resolve enough to show the differences, but I think ignorance is bliss in my case.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audioquest jade

$30, sounds smoother than stock.

haha

audiophilia = A is better than B, even though I don't know what B is.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 36
by stock i'm assuming it's those OEM thin black cables with black and white plastic rca's which are pretty much all the same and if that's correct i do know what B is.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't mentioned what your stock cable is. If it's serious junk/broken/insufficient, you might do better with a different "stock" cable.

That said, I've had 30 dollar interconnects and 300 dollar interconnects and hear no difference. It's possible my mid-fi system doesn't resolve enough to show the differences, but I think ignorance is bliss in my case.

My current analog cables are $0.77 Monoprice standard RCA cables, Monoprice premium RCA cables $3.49 and AR AP031 ($15). I have several pairs of each. I intend to use the $0.77 cables as a baseline. I am currently using them listening to my rig, sounds fine by the way, though normally I use the ARs.

O intebnd

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audioquest jade

$30, sounds smoother than stock.

Thanks .

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha

audiophilia = A is better than B, even though I don't know what B is.

I would like to keep this thread clear of infighting. I just want to garner opinions from those who consider cables to make an audible difference.

I chose stock low end as a reference to stop my cable is better than your cable distractions...

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 36
I have a Cambridge Audio cable that is apparently a step up from stock, it is well made and has gold plugs? you are welcome to try it out PM me your address, I will see if I can get my hands on my old Stereovox Vespa also ?

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 36
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 36
Nick Charles, I asked something similar some time back and didn't get much response. I own Blue Jeans and the least expensive Vampire cables - they are nicely made of good materials, but I have not heard a difference over the RCA interconnects supplied with mass market DVD players.

That said, I am also interested in the least expensive cable that makes an audible improvement. Maybe not even the least expensive; I could spend $100 or a bit more.

I'd like a three foot RCA interconnect that will sound superior to the least expensive three foot interconnect sold by Radio Shack. If someone owns a three foot RCA cable that sounds superior to Radio Shack, please chime in. I am willing to buy the same superior cable you have and I'll pick up two identical cables at Radio Shack.

I'll mail you one of the Radio Shack cables, free of charge, and then we can compare and contrast the two cables. You can tell me what to listen for in the superior cable. I'd also run a few tests with my multimeter and perhaps hook both cables to an oscilloscope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back