The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3,841 of 5,999
Hifi-M8 with lightning cables.

Venturecraft

And

Vmoda Tuono cable.

I couldnt decide so i bought them both (I did post pictures earlier of the Venturecraft but it was faulty).

Venturecraft.
Right angled, slightly smaller sticking out.
more soundscape, imaging and micro details.

Vmoda tuono.
Small profile, sturdy feel to it.
Flatter sound, more lows.

I see you already gave impressions on sound but I would like to know, are those differences are huge or subtle?

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #3,842 of 5,999
  I see you already gave impressions on sound but I would like to know, are those differences are huge or subtle?

Should be very small, as I have both of the interconnects but no M8...

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #3,843 of 5,999
du6uqede.jpg

Nice pics!

Are there any equivalent cables for Micro USB devices i.e. Micro USB type B to Full-size regular USB type B?

I know there are some DIY projects on Head-Fi, but I don't have the tools, nor the know-how to make something solid.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #3,845 of 5,999
Nice pics!

Are there any equivalent cables for Micro USB devices i.e. Micro USB type B to Full-size regular USB type B?

I know there are some DIY projects on Head-Fi, but I don't have the tools, nor the know-how to make something solid.

You could probably order one from qusp. I think Jude says he makes the best LODs, he could prolly make that too ^_~

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,846 of 5,999
I think Ive been told before, but now its more relevant..does the IronLung mod affect behavior with other phones? I.e. i just set it to the higher setting from then on and no effects will be noticed? Also does it help with the volume stepping with jh13? Were the effects noticed with balanced or se?

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #3,847 of 5,999
I think Ive been told before, but now its more relevant..does the IronLung mod affect behavior with other phones? I.e. i just set it to the higher setting from then on and no effects will be noticed? Also does it help with the volume stepping with jh13? Were the effects noticed with balanced or se?

It is a 6db reduction in gain for the entire device.  So it will increase the control of volume for sensitive IEMs, and reduce the volume available to power hungry headphones.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3,848 of 5,999
I have the IEM mod version and in balanced mode there is still enough gain for the HE500 but not insanly loud. I would guess some 95dB max volume.

But on the highest gain there is stil a little hiss with sensitive IEMs.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #3,849 of 5,999
I have the IEM mod version and in balanced mode there is still enough gain for the HE500 but not insanly loud. I would guess some 95dB max volume.

But on the highest gain there is stil a little hiss with sensitive IEMs.

So youve heard it with He500? Just a volume drop or does it lose some of the dynamics?

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,850 of 5,999
Just a volume drop, no dynamics lost but only in balanced mode. Single ended was too tame.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3,852 of 5,999
Thats great news, you think it could handle a t50rp like paradox or would it have to be in stock config?

The T50 rp has 7db more sensitivity than the HE500, so it should be fine even single ended.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,853 of 5,999

I would have to test again with different headphones as i only used my ATH-ESW11.

I bought a Venturecraft cable last week, but the Apple adapter was faulty.
So when i was testing between the two cables i was really trying to skew the results toward the Vmoda cable, but the Venturecraft cable continued
To win out in terms of space, '3D effect', micro detail and instrument placement.

After a good 30-60 minutes swapping the cables trying to influence the results i gave up and bought both.

Why? I figure i fill use the Vmoda for my commuting as it is strong and sturdy, and detail and low end can get lost within the sounds of the more noisy trains anyway.
The Venturecraft cable i will use for home and cafes etc. for more critical listening. I will also use the Venturecraft when i showcase the Hifi-M8.

Differences:are they huge? Well no,.... and yes. To my meagre ears anyway.
It would be good to try the cables with different dac/amps also.

I will listen again with other phones later and update this post.

EDIT:

VM=Vmoda, VC=Venturecraft.

Apple buds(old version)...yeah, I know-gotta make a low end base point :wink:
Overall:Similar.
VM-Clear, concise.
VC-Music `moving round` ever so slightly more.
Apple-Similar to VC cable.

ATH-ESW9
VM-Clearer than the Apple.
VC-Still has that great instrument separation and imaging, `lighter`.
Apple-Slightly congested.

ATH-CK10
Overall:Similar

ATH-A900
Overall:Similar
VM-Clear and concise. Imaging is better than earlier.
VC-Brighter, Great imaging, instrument placement.
Apple-sufficient, clear, good spaciousness.

ATH-ESW11- Testing Redux!
Overall: Both are good.
VM-Still emphasis on the lows. Brassy and bold. Clear. More punch.
VC-More even, clear concise, imaging is good. Even.

Conclusion.
The differences are within critical listening and you could be happy with either.
Both great low profile cables.
Sound is slightly different with the Venturecraft easing slightly ahead overall.

--------------------//-------------------------------------

How about a noisy commute you ask?

Well on a noisy commute the forward sounding, low heavy Vmoda Tuono is great.

-at home, a cafe or for critical listening the Venturecraft (its laid back, detailed centeredness is lost in a noisy environment and can feel thin).

-----------------------------------------

Notes:
Need to test more in-ears to see If its a cans thing.
Also need to try with non Audio Technica gear.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3,854 of 5,999
My JH16/3A IEMs through the M8 have hiss unfortunately (LX using combo jack). With the Triple-Fi's, the noise floor is inaudible.

The noise is slight (as the blog entry reports) and for most normal listening I suspect inaudible, but still there.

I'm debating on the mod....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back