The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
May 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,028 of 5,999
Quote:
I am also concern about this.

I pre-ordered the HiFi-M8 solely based on the fact that it will support ipod classic. I dont ever see myself using any other iDevice (iphone/itouch) as my transport mostly due to limited hard drive size. Looking at their pre-order description, it hinted that M8 would support all iDevice. So I automatically assumed, ipod classic should be supported too.

But looking at the M8 impression thread, for the tokyo show, I dont see they've made the prototype work for ipod classic albeit for all the other iDevices.

Centrance, please confirm if ipod classic would be supported. I've absolutely no interest in HiFi-M8 if ipod classic is not supported.

May 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,029 of 5,999
Just to give the above members some peace before confirmation from CEntrance:

CEntrance Blog
For the iUniverse, we can already play 16/24 bit files and 44.1 / 48 kHz Sampling Rates now. We are still working on higher res than that....Basically, consider that all iPads, phones above 3GS, and modern iPods, including Touches will be fine with higher res. Stuff prior to that, including classic iPad, is stuck at 16/44.1 or some such.

Yes, but for me, it’s not about what data bit rates the M8 is now capable of processing, but what the various legacy and current idevices are capable of transmitting to it.
For the iUniverse, we can already play 16/24 bit files and 44.1 / 48 kHz Sampling Rates now. We are still working on higher res than that. It’s too early to tell which devices could do which things, but I’ve posted sometime back on the blog about the devices that “may” give you better resolution and those that will not, due to their internal limitations. Basically, consider that all iPads, phones above 3GS, and modern iPods, including Touches will be fine with higher res. Stuff prior to that, including classic iPad, is stuck at 16/44.1 or some such. Nothing we can do about that.
For the USB Universe, we’ve been at 24/192 for awhile.

May 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,030 of 5,999
I just cleaned up the OP of the impressions thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/30#post_9440225

Also need to trawl through this thread sometime (136 pages) and withdraw any useful information.

May 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,031 of 5,999
Just to give the above members some peace before confirmation from CEntrance:

Yes, but for me, it’s not about what data bit rates the M8 is now capable of processing, but what the various legacy and current idevices are capable of transmitting to it.
For the iUniverse, we can already play 16/24 bit files and 44.1 / 48 kHz Sampling Rates now. We are still working on higher res than that. It’s too early to tell which devices could do which things, but I’ve posted sometime back on the blog about the devices that “may” give you better resolution and those that will not, due to their internal limitations. Basically, consider that all iPads, phones above 3GS, and modern iPods, including Touches will be fine with higher res. Stuff prior to that, including classic iPad, is stuck at 16/44.1 or some such. Nothing we can do about that.
For the USB Universe, we’ve been at 24/192 for awhile.

I was also happy to hear this.
If my idevice (iphone4) can play/output up to 24/48 NATIVELY to my headphones I will most definitely be a happy camper, 24/96 would be stellar of course.

I know my ipod touch 4G and iphone4 can play 24/96 using flacplayer app but it downsamples them.

Photo.
My ipod touch 4G whilst playing a 24/96 during a Flacplayer app beta (posted previously).

May 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,032 of 5,999
Quote:
I agree 100%, with the additional followings would be really nice

1) Also post links at the first page to others impression within the thread for at least a year
2) Include links about headfier fixes, software updates, authorize dealer within thread etc.
3) Owner of M8 and present its own review at first page and findings
4) Must be really interested in the product and not someone who hates it, slam it and then disappear altogether.

I always appreciate some senior headfiers here who does that like MF for TH900 thread with so many links, suggestions and findings at the first page makes one easy to access and believe me I bought the TH900 because of easy access to information.

Thoughts?

Good points thanks.

I just re-read pages 100-136. phew it takes forever.
2:30am and time for bed.

May 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #2,033 of 5,999
Anyone have any idea what DAPs would pair well with the LX model?  Which players could use the S/PDIF input to max potential?

May 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,034 of 5,999
iRiver AK100. ?

May 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #2,035 of 5,999
Quote:
Anyone have any idea what DAPs would pair well with the LX model?  Which players could use the S/PDIF input to max potential?

as far as I know, some old and new iriver players, ibasso dx100, and the upcoming dx50 will also have optical out. I think I also saw some chinese audiophile bricks that supported this, but not 100% sure.

May 16, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2,036 of 5,999
Quote:
iRiver AK100. ?

I was hoping that the AK100 could be used as a "transport", and let the LX do all the heavy lifting...

I asked this same question to Stacie, when I was replying about the preorder details.  So, I might get an answer from CEntrance, in a few days.

May 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,037 of 5,999
Lost a long winded post..oh well.

IMHO some of the better engineered tone controls were on pieces of gear like the Tandberg 3012 integrated amplifier . They were useful in trying to restore recordings that were deficient to get them to sound more like the original recording session. . This was superior in comparison to say a lot of Japanese and USA tone controls on mass market hi fi which are for the most part useless in this regard and only served the store owners in comparison of useless audio features to the consumer.

IIRC Creek may have made some useful ones too. But Tandberg seemed to nail it. Those Norweigans ,come October , sat inside homes avoiding nearly 6 months of darkness and cold for most of the 1960s -1980s winters .so their audio systems had better be good and back in Pre VHS and BETA times with limited TV -audio was just about all they had.

So to Norwegians having a large music collection was important, their access to purchasing vast amounts of LPs cheaply was not as great as the UK so a lot of recording was done. Their reel to reel and cassette machines were amongst the best. I would take a Tandberg 3014a over any other cassette machine. It was a machine that could save the nuances of LP without adding hiss, and got shockingly good performance even out of the high speed dubbed lowly pre-recorded cassette. So good in fact that if you were to take a pre recorded cassette and play it in a properly tuned 3014a cassette deck against a $3000 digital front end, a lot of people would prefer the sound of the Tandberg. I wish I never sold mine. The variable outputs were so useful you could go right into an amplifier or powered speaker for great sound from that deck.

Because turntables varied so much in quality, and also the quality of set up, a lot of bass or treble could be screwed up, record collections were too heavy, so often you would go over to someone's house, bring your recording gear (reel to reel or cassette deck) and record off of someone's stereo. If they had 2000 albums they probably had a better turntable than you anyhow, and they weren't about to loan out their records and have them get damaged. So the tone controls on gear Tandberg made really had to be useful...they were not just a selling feature ..they were used all the time. They were essential.

If your Norwegian friend owned big bass heavy large speakers , and he set up his turntable and cartridge to make it sound flat, when you went home to your smaller bass light speakers after a weekend of recording at his house....and found the recordings were "bass light"...you weren't about to go back and redo your recordings, besides he wouldn't let you fuss with his turntable and screw up his sound, and you would want to transport your turntable and damage it. So having good tone controls that were truly useful was essential to Norwegians. In the UK it didn't matter so much, you would just go and buy the LP new or used.

The Tandberg tone controls had just the right amount of versatility and could also be used when playing fairly loudly without bottoming out the current capabilities of your amplifier immediately, or making boomy smearing bass, or treble that added annoying hiss and glare. Really well designed audio gear in general- what I considered a serious and function industrial design as well. ...Definitely not jewelry for men.

Worth looking into their slopes for tone shaping. I have not heard more useful tone controls than these...but hey it's just my opinion, and I am sure someone into Dr. DRE would hate those tone controls.

...I updated this post...

May 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,038 of 5,999
Quote:
Lost a long winded post..oh well.

IMHO some of the better engineered tone controls were on pieces of gear like the Tandberg 3012 integrated amplifier . They were useful in trying to restore recordings that were deficient to get them to sound more like the original recording session. . This was superior in comparison to say a lot of Japanese and USA tone controls on mass market hi fi which are for the most part useless in this regard and only served the store owners in comparison of useless audio features to the consumer.

IIRC Creek may have made some useful ones too. But Tandberg seemed to nail it. Those Norweigans ,come October , sat inside homes avoiding nearly 6 months of darkness and cold for most of the 1960s -1980s winters .so their audio systems had better be good and back in Pre VHS and BETA times with limited TV -audio was just about all they had.

So to Norwegians having a large music collection was important, their access to purchasing cast amounts of LPs was not as great as the UK so a lot of recording was done. Their reel to reel and cassette machines were amongst the best. I would take a Tandberg 3014a over any other cassette machine. It was a machine that could save the nuances of LP without adding hiss, and got shockingly good performance even out of the high speed dubbed lowly pre-recorded cassette. So good in fact that if you were to take a pre recorded cassette and play it in a properly tuned 3014a cassette deck against a $3000 digital front end, a lot of people would prefer the sound of the Tandberg. I wish I never sold mine.

The Tandberg tone controls had just the right amount of versatility end could also be used when playing fairly loudly without bottoming out the current capabilities of your amplifier immediately, or making boomy smearing bass, or treble that added annoying hiss and glare. Really well designed audio gear in general- what I considered a serious and function industrial design as well. ...Definitely not jewelry for men.

Worth looking into their slopes for tone shaping.

Very interesting insight into the Norwegian's drive to produce top-quality gear...straight out of Freakonomics.

May 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #2,039 of 5,999
Yes, in building a system, often the first thing you bought was a really good cassette deck. You could always use headphones until you saved enough to buy a receiver or speakers and most kids had to use headphones since parents hated their music, car audio was absolute crap then...and if you wanted to hear music in your car...you had to have good cassettes, and pre recorded cassettes in inferior car decks did not sound good..you needed to make your own. If you bought a crap cassette deck whatever you recorded would sound worse as you upgraded your gear...so lots of a budget was spent for good cassette decks, which showed by the late 1970s and 1980s pre CD era. Some stores had rows and rows of cassette decks of varying quality. ....To carry Nakamichi or Tandberg was a big deal to a dealer .

So I hope this h-fi M8 has nice tone controls, because so many CDs were not well recorded from their masters. It is unfortunate that fixing a bad sounding CD often can not be done with tone controls like with an LP since they types of distortion are harder to fix with tone shaping. Just like you can't fix recorded wow and flutter with tone controls, you can't fix jitter or digital glare and hash either. But if the original recording session to master was deficient..your can fix that to some degree. The house sound varied so much from label to label.

Either way I am sure MG will make the correct choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back