The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Apr 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,711 of 5,999
Wait, I thought the price was $699. It goes up after pre-order? How much does it go up?

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,712 of 5,999
Quote:
Wait, I thought the price was $699. It goes up after pre-order? How much does it go up?

That's the normal price, there's a different price for the pre-order group

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,714 of 5,999
I think the stress of stretching out product development is at the point that they're suffering an identity crisis over there at CEntrance.
"Call me Next."
"Call me paranoid."

It'll be hopefully therapeutic to finally have working prototype digital PCB builds. 
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,719 of 5,999
Quote:
And part of the pre-order agreement is to not discuss the price...
Not trying to police the thread, just mentioning it.

Which is why I was afraid to state the price I paid 
redface.gif

If anyone is interested they should be emailing CEntrance directly, this thread is going smoothly so far let's not let anything happen to it 
redface.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #1,722 of 5,999
This might have already been asked and answered but is there any idea if this will be compatible with Android phones? Specifically the S3?

Yes, it gets asked nearly every other page. No definitive answer yet. Very few phones are capable, and there is no consistency in how Android handles USB audio when it does. I don't think CEntrance should waste too much time on it. And this is coming from an Android user.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,723 of 5,999
Quote:
Yes, it gets asked nearly every other page. No definitive answer yet. Very few phones are capable, and there is no consistency in how Android handles USB audio when it does. I don't think CEntrance should waste too much time on it. And this is coming from an Android user.

Thanks for answering. This looks like a really promising device and I'd definitely get one if I knew it'd work with my S3.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #1,724 of 5,999
Quote:
I may need some volunteers to test this out (and there are clearly many of you here who would want to be the "Guinea pigs" for this) . There are many iDevices out there and we certainly don't have every single one here at CEntrance. So, in a short while, I may be requesting help from people who have the likely candidate hardware for these tests. First, I need to gather a list of devices that we would need to check M8 with.

We have one 5G Nano, two 6G Nano (using it as a watch), two 30GB 5th gen iPod video, an iPhone 4, three iPhone 4S, two iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad 4, and two iPad mini.  Will any of those help?

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,725 of 5,999
Quote:
It's an interesting idea. In fact, we've done just that with DACport when it was first released back in 2009. At that time iPad was still a new product and the first iPads weren't able to work with DACport. The first iPads were limited at 16/48 and didn't "see" DACport because it reported itself as a 24/96 capable device. We released an optional "iPad friendly" firmware, which limited DACport to 44.1/48 and that was enough for it to play nice with the first iPad. The second iPad could already talk to 24/96 devices so the separate "dumb down" firmware was no longer needed, so we stopped offering it to avoid customer confusion.

I can not promise that we will do the same for the M8, because we need to fulfill our original promise and there is a LOT of firmware to deal with.

But later, who knows. Thanks for the suggestion.

I believe the change came with iOS 4, where iOS 3 didn't support 24/96 but 4 did.  It was about the same time that many 16/48 USB DACs quit working because Apple decided they drew too much power.

To clarify my previous post, if you need loaner iPods to test yourselves then I can only send either a 30GB 5th gen iPod video, a 5th Gen nano (tall with camera) or 6th Gen nano (watch sized), or an iPhone 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back