The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #1,546 of 5,999
Quote:
Crud.  I was assuming since I could play 24/96 files through Golden Ears that I would also be able to stream the same via USB to the HifiM8.  Boo.  Then again, I only have like 3 albums at those rates so its not like I am losing that much (and redbook flac take up enough space on the ipod already).

Are you talking about streaming from your computer? Then 24/96 is fine. As far as I understand, the M8 does up to 24/192. There was some talk about the ipad being able to do 24/96 through the camera kit, over USB. My question was regarding the ipod touch (or phone) into the i-device input on the M8 and it's limitation. 
Quote:
Wait, when connecting the M8 to my computer via USB what is the max I can run 24/192 or 96?

Like above...24/192, I am pretty sure. 

Someone correct this if I'm wrong ...
size]

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #1,548 of 5,999
Quote:
Then again, I only have like 3 albums at those [24/96] rates so its not like I am losing that much (and redbook flac take up enough space on the ipod already).

FraGGleR,

I guess it depends whether we're looking for the best available fit given the gear and files we have today or what we expect to have in the not too distant future.

I started with the same thought process as you. I've noticed, though, that higher quality albums from big-named artists are being released with much greater frequency. Also, devices will be able to store far more in the not too distant future. Finally, Internet download speeds will increase over time (in fact, the local cable company is coming this afternoon to upgrade my modem). I expect that all of these factors will lead the audiophile of the future [echo] to look for more than Redbook quality. 

These days, I'm far more likely to make purchases from HDTracks...and won't even entertain the low-quality files available from Apple. The HDTracks.com library is really beginning to gain steam so inability to play at least 24/96 FLAC files has become a deal-breaker for me for any future gear purchases.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,549 of 5,999
Sorry for my silence. Stuck to the design desk.

Quote:
Wait, when connecting the M8 to my computer via USB what is the max I can run 24/192 or 96?

24/192

Quote:
A couple quick questions for Michael in relation to how the i-device connectivity is coming along:

Will the M8 work fine with the lightning connector equipped devices? In other words- I can of course, use my iPod classic 30 pin with the cable included with the M8...and if I want to use the 5th Gen iPod touch with lightning connector, I could use the Apple-supplied lightning to USB cable to connect to the M8? (until something shorter becomes available - hopefully) Or is there something else to consider?

Also, I understand that the iPod touch is hardware limited to 16/48 (or is 44.1?) output. It is possible to get 24/96 files on there, but they are down-converted and played at 16/48. Since the M8 is substituting the "hardware" (or part of it) will this lift that blockade and permit the touch to output 24/96 to the M8 DAC? (I am unaware if other such devices, clas, etc can do this, it's why I'm asking) I know "24/96 for i-devices" was mentioned, just want to see how that is shaping up. 

It would certainly be great if some sort of high res playback was possible with the touch, but really just a bonus.

I want to make sure I have all my cables, etc. ready for when the M8 is finished! I have already made myself a 4 pin XLR balanced cable and an 3.5 adapter (for unbalanced use) 

Keep up the great work on the M8! Thanks in adavance

- Will the M8 work fine with the lightning connector equipped devices? 
MG: Yes
- Since the M8 is substituting the "hardware"
MG: It's not substituting anything. What it gets, it plays.
- Keep up the great work on the M8!
Thank you!

Quote:
Michael,

Is there any chance you would be able to hint at if and what size external battery might be able to charge up the hifi-m8? I use a 5600mAh external battery to juice up my S3 and iPad on long trips. Do I need an upgraded backup battery to get me past the 8-10 hour mark?

I think any external battery would pretty much work. We are getting the MOST BEEFY battery this week and will measure how many hours we get with that. Then, I'll report.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,551 of 5,999
Yes, that's our general philosophy. Just trying to gauge the number of people who will be upset because their older iPod is not supported.

Here is the question again:

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/03/11/96-vs-ipod/

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,552 of 5,999
Quote:
Yes, that's our general philosophy. Just trying to gauge the number of people who will be upset because their older iPod is not supported.

How old is too old?  I have a 3rd gen Ipod Touch.  I only bought it to use with a device like the HifiM8, so if it isn't supported, that would be a bummer.  However, I believe you should look forward and focus on perfect support for 24/96.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #1,553 of 5,999
As much as I I appreciate the attempt to keep older devices from becoming obsolete, I would have to do that at the expense of the M8 (making it more likely to feel obsolete earlier than its time). I know we can't take care of any/all future needs (DSD might begin to seem like an essential feature at some point) but I would hate to not be able to reliably get some hi-rez goodness in my backyard unless I lug out the laptop.

In other words, I agree with mitsu763.

Keep up the good work Michael, this has been a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,554 of 5,999
Quote:

Michael, Thanks for looking further into this question and keeping us updated with the progress!

I have a couple thoughts to share, the first being I completely agree with mitsu763, that this product should be looking to the future, not the past. Go with the 24/96 support if it comes down to supporting newer or older devices.

The next thing that comes to mind is what "cut-off" are we looking at for the iPods? As far as standard iPods (for example, Video 5th and 5.5 Generation, and 6/6.5/7 generation classics) There is no way to load high res files onto them anyway using the original iPod firmware. The maximum resolution you can sync to them is 24/48...so that is one thing to consider. The exception to this is if the ipod is running Rockbox, then high res files can be synced but as it was previously discussed, it is unlikely that the M8 would work with the "non-apple" firmware.

As far as the iPod touch, what generation would the cutoff be 3rd? 4th 5th? These players can accept 24/96 FLAC files and play through an app so maybe this is more the direction most users would go with 24/96 files

Personally, I have several iPods...My 5.5 Generation are "modded" so I probably wouldn't care if they worked with the M8. But if they did, I would only consider that a convenient bonus. I also have a Classic 7G and 5th Generation touch, the "newest" of each model. So I personally vote for 24/96 support, but then I do already have the newest iPods in hand....

Thanks again!

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,555 of 5,999
Sorry, but I don't care if older iPods are supported or not. I vote for 24/96. It's bad enough that I have piles of junk from people like Ray Samuels and others that no longer work with iPad3 FLAC files (or anything for that matter) without taking another step backwards.

I

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,557 of 5,999

Why not both? You should be able to set the sample bit based on the device connected unless I misunderstood the above post (you say new means of digital communications, are you referring to USB audio spec or something else entirely). USB is clearly programmable (based on endpoint/descriptor, do the right thing).

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,560 of 5,999
24/96 all the way.

Hopefully the latest iPod Classic (2009) will be supported since it's one of the few large storage devices out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back