The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,441 of 5,999
Quote:
I would love to buy the th900 fostex for the m8- wishful thinking atm though. The th600 is being released in a week though and is said to be sold for around $850 approx. Looking forward to reviews on that. 
I'm re-cabling, balancing and modding my m100's in prep for the m8 arrival. Should be good. 

Interesting; are you buying one? Where are you buying it from?

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,442 of 5,999
Quote:
M8 plus Intruder doesn't make sense to me.  Why combine an all in one portable package with another one that is slightly less featured?  You pay a lot of money for redundant features and increase your portable footprint.  The Intruder was good when I heard it several times, and while it got impressively loud, it didn't do anything special for me.  Obviously, only a select few have heard the prototypes of the M8, but I am almost certain that the M8 won't give up much to the Intruder, if anything at all, plus has a TON more useful features from a company that specializes in digital audio.  I am by no means saying the Intruder isn't a good component (and Ray Samuels is a really nice guy), but the combo just confused me to the point that I had to ask what your rationale was.

M8 has a great amp inside, but I believe the character of this amp is very neutral (from my previous experience with CEntrance's products). Sometimes I need a little bit of flavoring, like RSA's house sound. 
popcorn.gif

Besides, what I really want is the DAC in M8. I love the sound from DACport & DACmini. However, these two products aren't designed for iDevices. Due to some very complicated reasons, I am not allowed to have a desktop system and I must use my iPod Classic as my music database. 
wink_face.gif

Perhaps you may suggest I use Solo -db instead, yet I almost have no chances to give it a try in my country. Furthermore, I don't like the mini-B USB used by Solo -db.

I believe that M8 can be better as a DAC than my HP-P1, currently existing in my transportable rig, when paired with some orthodynamic headphones. I have tried a combo, such as DACport/DACmini + The Intruder, with HE-500.  It's amazing 
beyersmile.png

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And the HE-500 isn't much better than an LCD for transportable, although I might have misunderstood your choices.

Just curious what kind of information and criteria you are using for your possible choices.

More transportable or not for a headphone isn't a key point to me, because a headphone is always transportable to some degree, isn't it? 
biggrin.gif
 I simply love the sound from orthodynamic headphones, like HE-500 and LCD-2/3, but I still don't know which one is the most suitable for my new combo. (the worst answer is ALL ... then I need to spend $$$$$) 
beerchug.gif

Have I fulfilled your curiosity, FraGGleR? 
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,445 of 5,999
Quote:
Happy 13th birthday CEntrance!!!

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/02/15/centrance-celebrates-birthday/

I had to laugh when I saw Michael's reference to "some cultures" considering 13 year olds to be adults and thus marriable, since the majority of states in the good ol' USA during the 19th century considered 10 yo as the age of consent, with Delaware leading the pack at 7.  Gotta populate those frontiers aplenty, you know? 

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,446 of 5,999
Quote:
I had to laugh when I saw Michael's reference to "some cultures" considering 13 year olds to be adults and thus marriable, since the majority of states in the good ol' USA during the 19th century considered 10 yo as the age of consent, with Delaware leading the pack at 7.  Gotta populate those frontiers aplenty, you know? 

hahaha

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,447 of 5,999
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #1,449 of 5,999
I read on there facebook page (translated) the price & release date. I would love to buy one - dependant on the up & coming reviews. Actually there is a review on the home page.
I'll find out where they're being sold after release date. Aslo depends if it's an improvement on my modded D7000's which would be quite a feat imo.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,450 of 5,999
OK,this is a bit off topic but now that I will have a transportable rig that can drive my big cans, I am trying to figure out how I can carry around those behemoths safely and securely. I looked at the hippo case but the thought of paying the crazy shipping fee for shipment form Singapore is putting me off. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good case for a pair of Seen HD600s?

thanks in advance

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,451 of 5,999
Quote:
OK,this is a bit off topic but now that I will have a transportable rig that can drive my big cans, I am trying to figure out how I can carry around those behemoths safely and securely. I looked at the hippo case but the thought of paying the crazy shipping fee for shipment form Singapore is putting me off. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good case for a pair of Seen HD600s?

thanks in advance

Depends on how much protection you want.  I have a Pelican 1300 that can hold my HD650s or HD800s perfectly.  You will probably want to add some thin craft foam to the walls for bump protection.

I also have a soft, padded bag that is basically a clone of the bag that Headroom used to sell.  Unfortunately the ebay seller no longer sells them and it looks like neither does Headroom.

This seller seems to have two potential cases.  http://stores.ebay.com/wang-yifei-2009  I have seen the rectangle one in person and it isn't bad, although I'd want some foam in there to keep the headphones from moving around.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #1,452 of 5,999
Quote:
I'm holding out hope that a mini 4-pin XLR (with 1/8" and 1/4") configuration will be made available and would be happy to pay extra for it. I currently use the Moon Audio Silver Dragon v1 IEM cable terminated with a mini 4-pin XLR and use the adaptor cables in the link below to connect to my RSA SR-71B (via 1/8" and "RSA" jack). It would be great not to have to use the adaptor at all.

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-iem-extension-adapter-cable.html

Michael,

I think there was a typo in your most recent blog post. You said there are four output configurations. Are you sure you didn't forget about the option with the mini 4-pin XLR?

I could be wrong, but this connector seems to be gaining steam with each passing month. The primary driver seems to be that folks such as me are using the connector in adaptor cables. It's particularly useful because it reportedly suits both portable and, let's call them, full-sized cables. I'd guess my "gaining steam" assumption would be confirmed if you were to ask, say, Drew over at Moon Audio or Ken at ALO. 

I'll gladly pay extra ($50 seems reasonable) and I'm not above begging...

As a sidenote, it would be fantastic if the equipment manufacturers could agree to one single-ended and one balanced option to be offered as standard. I've yet to see anyone prove conclusively that, say 1/8" or 1/4" and mini 4-pin XLR are substantially inferior to other competing options. Unfortunately, given the state we're in today, that seems to be wishful thinking. One certainty, though, is that consumers resent having to re-terminate cables every time we buy new equipment (amps and headphones, in particular).

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,453 of 5,999

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,455 of 5,999
thanks, I have been looking at these and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them in terms of the build quality. I don't need anything too rugged, mostly because I am looking for something that I could put into my bag to take my cans and HIFI-M8 back and forth from the office and home. The guy you mentioned does make this case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Hard-case-Storage-Pioneer-HDJ-2000-1000-HDJ2000-HDJ1000-dj-headphones-/261173394572?pt=US_Rack_Cases_Hard_Cases_Bags&hash=item3ccf25bc8c with a nice foam insert and I just contacted him to see if he would be interested in making this setup for other cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back