The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Dec 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #931 of 5,999
> doesn't the square usb jack provide power as well as the data?
> so for those who will be mostly plugging the m8 into their laptop/computers,

> the m8 will be constantly charging, so is there a solution?

Both USB jacks provide power and data. The one that connects to laptop gets audio data and power from laptop and delivers both to M8 for playback and charging of the M8's internal battery. A standard (printer-like) USB cable will work here. We are planning to include one. There is no danger with constant charging. M8 will stop charging if the internal battery is full. It's quite modern that way.

> My external battery pack has a rectangle USB-A connector, so I could probably use a
> cable like this for charging the hifi-m8 on the go via External Battery?  
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0036SGFH0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5
ir

Your cable will work. It's the standard USB device cable that ships with a printer. Of course audiophile versions also do exist. However, charging through the power adapter will be about twice as fast than through the USB port, so for faster results, try to charge via the power adapter. 

> Would it also be ok to use the same type of cable connected to say a iphone charge
> block to charge the Hifi-m8 from a wall outlet?
Same as above - M8 will charge from USB (USB ports on a computer or a little square power supply for the iPhone for example), but this will be slower than the external power supply via the power jack.

> What cables will be included with the Hifi-m8 for charging and other useful things
- USB cable (like the printer cable reference above)
- 30-pin to USB adapter cable (works with iPhone 4 and older, Lightning cable might not be available until Q2/3, but the cable that comes with iPhone 5 should do)
- Power supply for charging

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #932 of 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- 30-pin to USB adapter cable (works with iPhone 4 and older, Lightning cable might not be available until Q2/3, but the cable that comes with iPhone 5 should do)

Thanks for the prompt reply.

All good news.

L3000.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #933 of 5,999
Quote:
> doesn't the square usb jack provide power as well as the data?
> so for those who will be mostly plugging the m8 into their laptop/computers,

> the m8 will be constantly charging, so is there a solution?

Both USB jacks provide power and data. The one that connects to laptop gets audio data and power from laptop and delivers both to M8 for playback and charging of the M8's internal battery. A standard (printer-like) USB cable will work here. We are planning to include one. There is no danger with constant charging. M8 will stop charging if the internal battery is full. It's quite modern that way.

> My external battery pack has a rectangle USB-A connector, so I could probably use a
> cable like this for charging the hifi-m8 on the go via External Battery?  
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0036SGFH0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5
ir

Your cable will work. It's the standard USB device cable that ships with a printer. Of course audiophile versions also do exist. However, charging through the power adapter will be about twice as fast than through the USB port, so for faster results, try to charge via the power adapter. 

> Would it also be ok to use the same type of cable connected to say a iphone charge
> block to charge the Hifi-m8 from a wall outlet?
Same as above - M8 will charge from USB (USB ports on a computer or a little square power supply for the iPhone for example), but this will be slower than the external power supply via the power jack.

> What cables will be included with the Hifi-m8 for charging and other useful things

Exciting! :D

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #935 of 5,999
Thanks for clearing up the priorities, Michael.  Now we can stop going back and forth in this thread about them.  I am happy you went with the SQ since that is the main reason most of us are crazy about this hobby.  

I will also say that you and CEntrance have done something that no one else has been able to get me to do - willingly buy an Apple product.  I have many frustrations with the company, but at this point, with your solution, I have more frustrations with the lack of audiophile support in mainstream music players, especially Android products.  Very frustrated in how hard it is to get a digital signal from a portable device and feed it through a high quality DAC.  So excited that a company that specializes in good DAC has approached the problem and given me the perfect way to move forward.

Kudos.  Can wait to receive mine.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #936 of 5,999
People voiced their opinions clearly and definitively: "Need more power". So, there will be no compromises in that department. This is why spec-wise there will be almost a 10x difference in power output between M8 and those "sane", "battery-friendly" devices out there. Call me insane, but I'm choosing SQ.

We will not compromise on the SQ, so don't worry. I'm ready to take the hit (and, alas, public ridicule) on the subject of battery life in order to satisfy those who need the best possible sound on the go. Having said that, again, we are not done fighting...

CEntrance will deliver SQ, then battery life. In that order.

Thank you , thank you, thank you. I"m now more excited than ever, and very happy with the direction you've taken in regards to charging. This product will be a game changer, and a product many of us have been waiting years for.

:beerchug:

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #937 of 5,999
For an external battery power pack, is there an optimum charging voltage for the M8?  A min/max? (e.g. 5V ala USB, 9V/19V ala the DACmini)  Will the charging voltage decay as the pack batteries discharge not matter, or would an output voltage regulator offer some advantages?

For the M8 fast charge input power plug pin out, is it neg (-) on the outer ring and pos (+) on the center pin?

Inquiring mimes want to know. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #938 of 5,999
Quote:
For an external battery power pack, is there an optimum charging voltage for the M8?  A min/mix? (e.g. 5V ala USB, 9V/19V ala the DACmini)  Will the charging voltage decay as the pack batteries discharge not matter, or would an output voltage regulator offer some advantages?

For the M8 fast charge input power plug pin out, is it neg (-) on the outer ring and pos (+) on the center pin?

Inquiring mimes want to know. 

The voltage range on the external power supply is 9-20V. We may open it up a little later, but this is a safe range. Any voltage within that range is ok, we re-manufacture all power inside, so we don't care what you feed the unit, as long as the power supply can feed several amps of current. We will publish the final specs soon. The power supply that will ship with Hifi-M8 provides 19V at 2.6 amps (same as DACmini power supply). The plug has + in the center, - on the outside.

Quote:
I will also say that you and CEntrance have done something that no one else has been able to get me to do - willingly buy an Apple product.  I have many frustrations with the company, but at this point, with your solution, I have more frustrations with the lack of audiophile support in mainstream music players, especially Android products.  Very frustrated in how hard it is to get a digital signal from a portable device and feed it through a high quality DAC.  So excited that a company that specializes in good DAC has approached the problem and given me the perfect way to move forward.

Kudos.  Can wait to receive mine.

Thanks for the excitement. Naturally, we are also very excited. Just need to push this to a close! Believe me, this is priority one for me through the holidays and until it ships!

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #939 of 5,999
Well that puts it within range of the Energizer power packs without needing any fiddly adapters.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #940 of 5,999
- Regarding yesterday's question about a PMP device with a USB "Output". I don't know of a device like that because in order to offer "USB output" rather than input, the device pretty much needs to be a full-fledged computer. Most PMPs out there are not a computer, but rather a peripheral device for a computer, even though many are running an OS internally. It seems that a $300 laptop (heck, a $250 laptop) would do just fine, although yes, it would be larger than a PMP.

Michael, are you saying that all phones that feature "USB on the Go" as digital output will not work with the M8? You lost me there. These phones provide digital USB out but need the DAC to be self powered, they do not work if they need to provide power. There are many Nokia and Samsung phones that offer this among others.

spec:
http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #941 of 5,999
Quote:
Michael, are you saying that all phones that feature "USB on the Go" as digital output will not work with the M8? You lost me there. These phones provide digital USB out but need the DAC to be self powered, they do not work if they need to provide power. There are many Nokia and Samsung phones that offer this among others.
spec:
http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Do you know if these phones work with an external DAC? If so, they should work with the Hifi-M8. Give me a model number and I will research further.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #942 of 5,999
Quote:
Do you know if these phones work with an external DAC? If so, they should work with the Hifi-M8. Give me a model number and I will research further.

I have replaced my iPhone 4s with the new Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8) and I'm not sure if the Nokia will work with the HiFi-M8.

I cannot transfer the music through the USB cable in my car so it's not a good sign...:frowning2:

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #943 of 5,999
Hi guys,

Please excuse me if this information has already been posted elsewhere in this thread - as I've just started reading it - but has the HiFi M8 pricing already been determined?

I ask because TTVJ has the HiFi M8 listed as a pre-order for $699.95 - http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_p/cen0000003.htm 
and the HiFi M8 LX is listed too at $549.95 - http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_LX_p/cen0000004.htm

Perhaps Michael could clarify the accuracy of these prices?

Thanks,

Andy.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #944 of 5,999
Quote:
Hi guys,

Please excuse me if this information has already been posted elsewhere in this thread - as I've just started reading it - but has the HiFi M8 pricing already been determined?

I ask because TTVJ has the HiFi M8 listed as a pre-order for $699.95 - http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_p/cen0000003.htm 
and the HiFi M8 LX is listed too at $549.95 - http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Centrance_HiFi_M8_LX_p/cen0000004.htm

Perhaps Michael could clarify the accuracy of these prices?

Thanks,

Andy.

The retail prices are correct. However, the product is not yet ready for sale. Dealers are not yet allowed to advertise the product as available. A couple of customers got confused by this, so we have asked TTVJ to change the product description to indicate that the product is "coming soon".

We will make an official announcement when the product is ready. If you are interested in learning more about the pre-order options, please send email to hifi-m8@centrance.com, although I would do it fast, since the pre-order period is closing soon.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #945 of 5,999
Quote:

I have replaced my iPhone 4s with the new Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8) and I'm not sure if the Nokia will work with the HiFi-M8.

I cannot transfer the music through the USB cable in my car so it's not a good sign...:frowning2:

I don't have this phone. May be you could try the 920 with an external USB DAC. Any self-powered USB DAC would do for this test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back