The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #5,987 of 5,999
Never been great with computer audio. Can't get my Windows 10 PC to connect with JRiver27 (but it works with Youtube, so the overall connection must be there)

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #5,988 of 5,999
101116F8-DDAB-403E-A919-903241CC61BD.jpeg
Theres also mini adapters you can buy. (One either side of the iFi) i have about 4 different ones? They still come in use occasionally.

i found the both usb ports going in to be similar if not the same (in sound).

i usually used an ipod touch or iphone4 (as source) using Flacplayer app by Dan Leehr

Photo from 2016. A joke ‘how long a audio snake can i make?’ photo.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #5,989 of 5,999
AKM DAC
I am still enjoying my M8. Now driving Elegias and LCD-XCs as my desktop rig. PC > Ifi Purifier > IfI USB Power > Centrance M8
I seem to prefer AKM to Saber DAC sound with my headphones.

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #5,990 of 5,999
AKM DAC
I am still enjoying my M8. Now driving Elegias and LCD-XCs as my desktop rig. PC > Ifi Purifier > IfI USB Power > Centrance M8
I seem to prefer AKM to Saber DAC sound with my headphones.
Me too! Well my M8 and DACportable. I am not an eq guy but Centrance has my number with the treble and bass switches. Very nice to have when the mood calls for a little tone shaping.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #5,991 of 5,999
I recently bought a pair of HD800 that came with 2 cables, stock cable and Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 Premium XLR Balanced cable. Naturally I assumed the moon audio cable would be better. After a week of using the moon audio cable I wanted a longer cable so I decided to plug the stock 1/4 cable in. The music went from lifeless and boring to exciting and weighted. Curious if this is due to the cable or is the m8 that big a difference between XLR and 1/4.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #5,993 of 5,999
Still using my V1, so very convenient with Apple devices. I like its simplicity. For me a DAC/Amplifier should just be a large transportable battery powered, 'wire with gain'. One large (hall effect) volume dial and a 1/4" (6.35mm) jack on the front and a USB type A female on the back that's compatible with any 30 pin or lightning iPod/iPhone/iPad with an optical in for good measure. I find the V2 intriguing but too complex, and if I'm on a noisy bus then my iPod's headphone oot is more than adequate.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #5,994 of 5,999
Hi guys. Please remind me how to properly use the line out from my Hi-Fi M8. IIRC it should be middle gain setting and the volume must be cranked all the way up, connect via 3.5 mm jack. But when I do it this way, it's super loud when paired with my amp (Aiyima A07) so that I have to turn the volume on the amp almost the whole way down (and it's not a powerful amp, it's a mini/desktop amp which I'm using with KEF Q150).

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #5,995 of 5,999
Hi guys. Please remind me how to properly use the line out from my Hi-Fi M8. IIRC it should be middle gain setting and the volume must be cranked all the way up, connect via 3.5 mm jack. But when I do it this way, it's super loud when paired with my amp (Aiyima A07) so that I have to turn the volume on the amp almost the whole way down (and it's not a powerful amp, it's a mini/desktop amp which I'm using with KEF Q150).
How about low gain setting?

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #5,996 of 5,999
How about low gain setting?
Thank you for the quick reply, Michael!
It's a bit lower but still loud. I wonder whether it's the proper way to use it as a line out or I just can stop worrying about this and can simply turn down the volume on my Hi-Fi M8 while keeping the middle gain setting (which is the best setting for my headphones so I prefer to keep it).

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #5,997 of 5,999
I have been using my M8 since 2014 as my Desktop DAC/AMP. I really enjoy its sound, especially with my full sized headphones.
I changed the battery a couple of years ago, but I don't use it as a portable any longer. It stays plugged in and on all the time.

The switch controls are well designed to allow me to set my personal hearing profile and headphones.

1708701425245.png

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #5,998 of 5,999
I have been using my M8 since 2014 as my Desktop DAC/AMP. I really enjoy its sound, especially with my full sized headphones.
I changed the battery a couple of years ago, but I don't use it as a portable any longer. It stays plugged in and on all the time.

The switch controls are well designed to allow me to set my personal hearing profile and headphones.

1708701425245.png
I still use mine as a portable rig from time to time. The sound shaping controls are a definite plus with this device as well as the ohm selector. It’s been perfect for my iem’s. I acquired one of the “IEM Modified” versions. I love it!

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #5,999 of 5,999
Upgraded from CEntrance M8.

I just got the FiiO K7 DAC/amp, and my first impressions are very good. I am an AKM fan and the K7 implementation suits my ears.

The K7 drives my LCD-XC with ease, presenting a big sound stage with good instrumentation. I read most of the reviews and agree with the assessments of the sound profile: tight and accurate bass, mids (vocals) clear and lifelike, treble is precise and offers clarity without and sibilance. Comfortable listening... no fatigue so far. Will burn the K7 in for a few days to see if anything changes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back