The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #4,936 of 5,999
I love the m8 with my hd 650. W/o the hugo i would've been contented with the m8 (it made the CLAS -db & RxMk3B+ moot for me). But once i got the hugo and it paired well with all my iem's, the m8 has been secondary. I'd like to stress that the m8 paired well with the hd650. But i sorta didn't like the hd650 & hugo combo.... Yet.

For me, everything comes down to the pairing.

In general terms i found the hugo more musical/analog than the m8 w/c sounded more neutral/clinical. For my hd650 its a no brainer, i'll use the m8. For my ie800 & jvc fx200 i can use both but prefer the hugo.

Lastly, in a 2 min listening session, i had the chance to demo the q701 in balanced mode with the m8. I couldn't stand it as the highs were piercing my ears.

I hope this helps.

Great!  Sounds like I just need to get a M8.  

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #4,937 of 5,999
@francisk yep, the m8 is great.

@jtwrace. Also if you want to dial to taste, there're switches that you can use. As much as possible i don't touch them. From my early use of the m8 the adjective i could describe it aside from neutral/clinical was that the music sounded cleaner. Ymmv as i'm not familiar with the alpha dogs. Happy listening.

Btw i also used the m8 with the re400. It was my go to for months as portable combo. Couldn't be happier.

I got the one with the optical so i can use my AK and idevices (w/ cck). Which proved to be the right choice.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,938 of 5,999
I just tried the new Grado 325e and it pairs very well with M8. Especially with the tape mod, I am enjoying this combo more than the M8 > T1.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #4,939 of 5,999
Really nice to hear that the mini M8 will get coaxial since I have just switched from Ipod classic +Hifi M8 to Ibasso DX90. I do really miss the sound of my HIfi M8, but it is just too heavy for EDC and DX90 is just way more flexible compare to the Apple products.

P.S. Doesn't mean that I have sold my Mate. I use it at home with my other headphones
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #4,941 of 5,999
Sounding good, too! We will be opening up the preorder soon. Hang in there!

ExpatInJapan graciously opened up another thread, so we will move all Mini-M8 related announcements there.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #4,942 of 5,999
So I received my M8 last week, and not to my surprise, it only works with UAPP on my android, so I've ordered a FiiO E17 for its optical output to feed my M8 from my phone for ALL android audio. What I need now is a mini 3.5mm to toslink optical cable that is short for portable use. Thoughts anyone? I'm not interested in dropping a lot of money into it. Maybe $30-40 if it looks nice and would be ergonomically beneficial. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #4,943 of 5,999
Sorry If i mis-post as i am not an android guy.

Thanks to wormsdriver.

*Galaxy S4:Samsung S4 > ibasso otg cable > Hifi M8 
As expected, it only works with USB Audio Recorder Pro app. (same as my Dacport).

Thanks to Wormsdriver.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4,944 of 5,999
  So I received my M8 last week, and not to my surprise, it only works with UAPP on my android, so I've ordered a FiiO E17 for its optical output to feed my M8 from my phone for ALL android audio. What I need now is a mini 3.5mm to toslink optical cable that is short for portable use. Thoughts anyone? I'm not interested in dropping a lot of money into it. Maybe $30-40 if it looks nice and would be ergonomically beneficial. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, 

I was checking on line but I can't see any optical output on the e17... it does have an optical input. Why don't you buy only the uapp instead? It works pretty well imho, once you pay it you can use the app on every android unit that shares the same account.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #4,945 of 5,999
  Hi,

I was checking on line but I can't see any optical output on the e17... it does have an optical input. Why don't you buy only the uapp instead? It works pretty well imho, once you pay it you can use the app on every android unit that shares the same account.

/facepalm. it's is already in the mail. crap. appraently i got some specs mixed up in my head and never bothered to confirm before ordering.

i have UAPP and it works fine. I want compatibility across the board for android because I use Google Play Music All Access, and often times get sick of my 64gb limited collection on my phone through UAPP. when most of those songs on the 64gb card are 24/88.2 or higher, 64gb is not a lot of albums.

well, anyone have any knowledge on other cheaper usb DACs that have optical out? that is literally all i will need the DAC for is to feed my M8 an optical signal. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #4,946 of 5,999
Fiio L12s + Toslink/Mini adapter should work.
Pls check on ebay "Optical audio adapter TOSlink Male to TOSlink mini 3.5mm Female"
Not tested yet as both the M8 and the cables still are in transit

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #4,947 of 5,999
Fiio L12s + Toslink/Mini adapter should work.
Pls check on ebay "[COLOR=333333]Optical audio adapter TOSlink Male to TOSlink mini 3.5mm Female"[/COLOR]
Not tested yet as both the M8 and the cables still are in transit
thanks!
I picked up a right angle adapter, a mini to normal TOSlink adapter, and the l12s. I also got an asus xonar u3. Just a simple usb to optical converter for when listening to my 320k mp3 collection streaming on Google play music, or Pandora or siriusxm apps. I did some quick reading and saw someone claiming it is plug and play for a galaxy s3, and since my note 3 has worked with almost all other dacs Samsung has historically supported, I'm expecting compatibility.

Thanks you guys for pointing things out and making suggestions. I'm excited for my new setup to come Thursday!

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4,948 of 5,999
For all us folks whose hearing is not really balanced, wouldn't it be just groovy to have a balance control on the next version of the HiFi M-8?  Just a few dB of left to right trim (maybe 3 dB each way?) in the digital domain to account for my poor ears, equipment issues, and bad recording engineers.  An analog control at the amplification stage would be OK too.  

PETER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back