The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,368 of 5,999
I do not disagree with you. I am contemplating buying the Hifi-m8, it would promote upgrade-itis though, as I would undoubtedly want to go to balanced at some point to see if it is noticeably better... Though my hunch is that with a 5ft cable, paying in the area of $200 for balanced cabling would not be worth it.

As to single-ended iphne 5/lighning connector compatible amps, I can only think of a couple:
Sony PHA-1
Go-dap X

On the topic of sharing audio with the Hifi-m8, what happens if two people are using two diffrent headphones, or headphones and iem's? There is not spearate gain for each output is there? So one person might be dialed in nicely, the other might be bleeding from the ears.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,370 of 5,999
Quote:
I do not disagree with you. I am contemplating buying the Hifi-m8, it would promote upgrade-itis though, as I would undoubtedly want to go to balanced at some point to see if it is noticeably better... Though my hunch is that with a 5ft cable, paying in the area of $200 for balanced cabling would not be worth it.

As to single-ended iphne 5/lighning connector compatible amps, I can only think of a couple:
Sony PHA-1
Go-dap X

On the topic of sharing audio with the Hifi-m8, what happens if two people are using two diffrent headphones, or headphones and iem's? There is not spearate gain for each output is there? So one person might be dialed in nicely, the other might be bleeding from the ears.

i think it would stop the upgrades as its sq is supposed to be the best out there among portable setups

regarding volumes, one person would have to use the attentuator, in the post above yours

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,371 of 5,999
Quote:
i think it would stop the upgrades as its sq is supposed to be the best out there among portable setups

Whoa!  Now that would be a first.  If only... 
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #1,375 of 5,999
Such a hard configuration decision.

MY GF...loves accurate sound. 

does not want to buy 3 systems, and 3 pre-amps and amps

She wants audiophile quality...

Car system (one wire harness)
headphone system
home system. (another wire harness)
home 2 (another wire harness) Floor standers
Home 3 (another wire harness) Mini monitors

current inventory ;

iphone 5  
Macbook Pro with pure music
airport express
(2) McIntosh 400 watt 4 channel amplifiers*
Magnaplanar Typani 1d
JH-audio 16's

*the amplifiers have AMP quick disconnects- so one plug makes all the signal and power and speaker level inputs and 12 volt turn on. She has a car battery at home and may buy a 14.4 volt power supply.

HOME:

Digital source home is Macbook Pro using USB (controlled by iphone and remote app)

or AirTunes using SPDIF optical from Airport express controlled by iPhone or Macbook Pro. (so she can work and move around)

XLR combo jacks use (2) 1/4 TRS inch jacks to vertically bi-amp her Magneplanar Tympani 1D speakers which love current (and her amps Mcintosh MC431 are high current and can be bridged and safely operated at 4ohms).

CAR: 

Digital source is IPhone 5 with ANNOYING CCK adapter to USB. Uses Siri for playlists and music requests.
XLR runs to her amps USING TTRS 1/4 COMBO JACKS.
One 4 channel McIntosh MC431 amp runs her Her tweeter via a passive 2 way with a BG Radia planar Neo 10 midrange, and Scan Speak 18w 7242 midbass drivers
One McIntosh  MC440M 6 channel amp runs her subs (bridging 2 channels for 3 10" a/d/s RS-10 dual voice coil 6 ohm subs in series and parellel for 4 ohm load at 200 watts) and the remaining 4 50 watt channels run her rear door speakers passively bi amped.

On Ski slope:

Digital source is iPhone 5 with CCK (Uggh fragile!!!!! can we make a custom lighting to square USB cable to avoid this???) 
to HI-Fi M8 USB in.
Here is where we wish she went 4 pin.... oh well..... 1/4 TRS to mini plug adapter...uuuughhh to her JH-16's

debating if we should go 4 pin and 1/4" TRS instead of XLR.  Reterminate her JH-16's to 4 pin. And for those times when we need TRS 1/4" use a UGH "y cable."

adapters  are sad.

can anyone think of a better way to do this?? We don't want to give up the option for an untethered Macbook Pro- we thought XLR might be a good idea if she were to use some sort of balanced input parametric EQ later....but if there is a better solution..I would rather go with that. Getting away from teh Combo jacks means she needs a y-spliter for her TRS 1/4" and that could lead to hum issues.

Head

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,376 of 5,999
I gots my shirt!

[size=14.44444465637207px]Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has circuitry on it, attracts women[/size][size=14.44444465637207px][/size]
[size=14.44444465637207px]Cons: Only 2 XLRs (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see amp when sitting with arms crossed, amp would have been better if it glowed in the dark.[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px]8/10 would preorder again.[/size]

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,378 of 5,999
Feb 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,379 of 5,999
Just got my shirt.

I think it improved the mids on my HD25s :)
Will report back after burn-in and washing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back