The CD Rack Thread
Sep 8, 2005 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
Similar to other headfiers inquiries about CD storage, I too need to find a solution for storing my CDs in their jewel cases. My current rack is 1) unstable, 2) has run out of space, 3) isn't too attractive.

Old thread by others:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64390
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127076

I'm hoping this thread can exist for more than just my benefit, and that people will post CD racks that they own/like AND when possible links and photos of the ranks.. When people use the search function for "CD rack" it would be great if there was 1 thread where a bunch of options existed.

My situation:
I need to store >300 CDs (and growing) in their jewel cases.
Price range: btwn $50 - 150?, but may have to revise that
It needs to be sturdy and not fall over easily
Contruction: a floor-standing rack, preferably wood/metal, not plastic

I have been surfing sites like
www.racksandstands.com
www.audioadvisor.com
http://www.allmultimediastorage.com

Thanks for your suggestions and posting what you use!

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 15
I think the Ikea Billy bookcase ($59.99-$79.99, dependent on finish) with either the CD storage insert ($15.00-$20.00/each, dependent on finish) or extra shelves ($8.00-$10.00/each, dependent on finish) will do the job for you. Each of those CD storage inserts can hold about 128 CDs and the Billy bookcase can accomodate 6 of those inserts....that's about 768 CDs for under $200.00. The bookcase is quite sturdy and can be easily assembled. Here're a couple of pix of mine....

DannysCDs001.jpg

DannysCDs002.jpg

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 15
My collection (well over 5,000 CDs, maybe twice that amount) has outgrown bookshelves. I bit the bullet and jettisonned the jewel cases, and I couldn't be happier. My entire collection that used to fill four or five full size bookcases now fits in a fraction of that size, and it's a lot easier for me to find specific CDs now, because each book is a category of music. I use the Case It 304 binders, and I put the CD in the top pocket and the back card and booklet in the lower pocket. The nice thing about Case It books is that they are three ring binders, so it isn't hard to slip stuff into the middle of the book as my collection grows. Here is what they look like.

http://www.hartsunlimited.com/slnyor.html

See ya
Steve

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 15
I use a combination of both booklets and shelves. However, I regret doing the booklets. I don't think anything can protect a CD as good as a jewel case can. Plus, a bookshelf filled with CD's is quite the sight for sore eyes (and ears).

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 15
Actually, I was considering adding a Billy bookshelf with a few of the CD-shelf divider things, but it just wasn't cost effective for me (with shipping).

Instead, I'm going to pick up one of the following:
Atlantic Allegro Wood Cabinet - $127
AL0191_l.jpg

or the Black matte Boltz CD 330 - $179 shipped
cd330_med.jpg

I like the Atlantic b/c I could put things on top of the unit, it is aesthetically pleasing to me, and it would match my decor. However, the Boltz, especially in black, is nice looking as well, and can be expanded later on to accomodate more discs, which the Atlantic cannot
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
AL0191_l.jpg

Eez beautiful.

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 15
thanks guys. I'm still trying to decide...

What is everyone else using for CD storage?

Sep 13, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 15
I had been taking my CDs out of the jewel cases and putting them into CD Project binders. However, now that I'm 100% computerized, I'm putting the CDs back into jewel cases, boxing them up, and storing them in my closet. Takes up much less room!
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Joey, I'm using the black Boltz racks but am starting to rethink the whole idea. I've filled 2 of the 660 racks plus a "tall boy" version of the 330 unit that you posted. I've also got a couple of their short DVD racks, and as my collection expands, I'll quickly run out of wall space. The last thing I want to do is end up with a house that is overrun by these things.

One solution that I've been considering would be to get several more of the SLAPPA Hardbody Pro 600 CD suitcases. http://www.slappa.com/site/600.html

These cases are absolutely beautiful to look at and even to feel (the velvet trim is awesome). Plus, they can be laid out on a coffee table or taken with you anywhere you go! If you put the cover art and booklet in the front pockets, you can only store 300 CD's, but that's still a lot.

Sep 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
My collection (well over 5,000 CDs, maybe twice that amount) has outgrown bookshelves...

I use the Case It 304 binders, and I put the CD in the top pocket and the back card and booklet in the lower pocket. The nice thing about Case It books is that they are three ring binders, so it isn't hard to slip stuff into the middle of the book as my collection grows.

Actually, now that I've taken a look at these, they would definitely be far more practical (and also MUCH cheaper) than the SLAPPA hard cases that I suggested. With the SLAPPA hard cases, flipping through them on a day to day basis would become a royal pain because it's actually a suitcase so the pages start to lump up awkwardly once you get into the middle sections. The 3 ring binder approach would work better because the spine would open evenly across a flat surface such as a coffee table. But it would still be nice to have at least one of the SLAPPA suitcases for safe travel.

Sep 13, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 15
If I were you, I'd get that nice-looking cabinet.
cool.gif

I have about 1,500 CDs, including more than 300 opera recordings. Because opera recordings often include bulky librettos, binders and wallets weren't a storage option. I seriously considered IKEA Billy bookcases with inserts. But then I stopped by an unfinished furniture store and learned that I could order custom-made CD bookcases. I bought three, stained them gray myself (to match my bookcases), and they work great. I spent less than $300 altogether.

Jeffery

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 15
Operas are the worst to try to store. I have hundreds and hundreds of them, and I have finally gotten to the point where I put the disks and CD case packaging in books, and just keep one libretto for each opera (usually a nice big one from an LP set). The duplicate libretti go into storage.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back