The CD Collection Personality Test
Jul 17, 2007 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

YoungClayB

100+ Head-Fier
I've found that you can tell a lot about a person simply by looking at their CD collections. I know it sounds shallow, but give it a try.

And its not all doom and gloom either, I have actually been impressed on multiple occations by seemingly boring "top 40" kind of people having some really good obscure records.

Here are a few of my rules of thumb:
* If I am going to be able to tolerate this person for more than 30 minutes, they need to have at least one of the following "essential" artists in their collection (please note that these are "MY" essential artists...you may insert your own list of essential artists here as a substitute if you wish)
- The Rolling Stones
- The Beatles
- Pearl Jam
- Led Zeppelin
- The Grateful Dead
- Pink Floyd
- Willie Nelson
- The Misfits
- U2 (even though I don't like them)
- Doc Watson
- Wilco
- REM

* Ok, now add up the number of "essential" artists that you have from the list above. You cannot have more movie soundtracks than you do "essential" artists. If the number of soundtracks is greater than the number of "essentials", then well, its just not good; I can't be your friend. lol

* No singles (Unless you already own the complete album - this allows for the purchase of singles for rare b-sides, live perfs, etc). This test probably isn't as valid as it used to be since iTunes makes it so easy to buy singles now-a-days, but back in the day, it always irked me when someone would buy a cassette or CD single.

* If they own any of the following artists, then they have to be able to explain why....gift, joke, etc
- Vanilla Ice
- Ricky Martin
- The Backstreet Boys
- Billy Rae Cyrus
- The Spice Girls

* I am lifting the "box set" rule...after thinking about it more, I actually dont even like boxed sets...too much filler and they generally make me tired of the given artist by the time I get through listening to the whole thing.

You guys might think I am judgemental or whatever, but I still think my rules of thumb have some merit.

What about you guys? Do you have any additional rules of thumb to add to the list?

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 52
I am a pretty judgmental person, but I have found it is VERY hard to judge people based on the music they listen to. In fact, I am not a fan of most of my wife's music collection and vice versa, but I can "hang" out with her much longer with her and be happy/entertained than anyone else I have ever met. It has been that way even before we went out. She is very tolerant of my music choices, and me.... not so much, but I am working on it.
evil_smiley.gif

Some of my closest friends listen to rap sometimes. I love them as people, but I HATE the music they listen to...

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungClayB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

* Ok, now add up the number of "essential" artists that you have from the list above. You cannot have more movie soundtracks than you do "essential" artists. If the number of soundtracks is greater than the number of "essentials", then well, its just not good; I can't be your friend. lol

Lost Highway, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a dream, a few soundtracks that I'd rather listen to than willie nelson, u2 or rem.

Quote:

* No singles. This test probably isn't as valid as it used to be since iTunes makes it so easy to buy singles now-a-days, but back in the day, it always irked me when someone would buy a cassette or CD single.

Many singles have rare b sides, awesome remixes or live performances that can't be found elsewhere.

Quote:

* At least one "boxed set"....it shows that you like music enough to really indulge and spend more than 10 bucks at one time for music.

I generally dislike box sets because most of the time they just package a bunch of music you already own into a box and raise the price. Also spending a lot of money on music does not show that you enjoy it more than someone who spends less.

Judging people base on the music they listen to is stupid, and worse to judge them on the type (form) they get it in.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 52
I think its a little too broad to come down to music. People have very complex personalities that are multi-faceted. Music is just one 'facet'.

We are not allowed to discuss politics in Headfi, so I'll just say that many different types of people enjoy the Beatles (i.e. those that pay taxes and those that don't.)
wink.gif

Great music is great music. It doesn't even have to be in the one language I speak fluently for me to appreciate it.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 52
Well, based on your preferences we can't be friends, actually we shouldn't even be in the same room together.

Some of my best friends have completely different musical taste than me, and some of them opened me up to new music I would have never found otherwise. To base your friends on their musical taste isn't only "judgmental" but shallow and arbitrary. As long as you're a good friend to me I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own CD collection.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 52
I think many of you are being too critical. This seem pretty experimental and tailored for the op's personal/fun use and observations.

Personally, I migrate towards people with similar music tastes. With that said, I know some great guys that have dreadful music preferences.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 52
Yeah, I don't REALLY judge my friends based on their musical preferences; its just a fun theory that I have always had. I figured I would get some good dialog going if I posted it here
tongue.gif

I do, however, judge people on lots of other criteria (sense of humor, political stance, hobbies, etc) and if these other criteria aren't necesarily winning me over and I take a look at their CD collection and it really good (in my opinion) then I might just be willing to give them a free pass on some of their other shortcomings as a person. lol

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Yeah, I don't REALLY judge my friends based on their musical preferences; its just a fun theory that I have always had. I figured I would get some good dialog going if I posted it here
tongue.gif

I do, however, judge people on lots of other criteria (sense of humor, political stance, hobbies, etc) and if these other criteria aren't necesarily winning me over and I take a look at their CD collection and it really good (in my opinion) then I might just be willing to give them a free pass on some of their other shortcomings as a person. lol

So it's a good thing to judge others now.

Omg there is no Bach on that list! You must be like iNsAnE!
eek.gif
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, my friend of 30 years has Britney Spears in his collection. I make fun of him (he is 50 yrs old) for it but I don't judge him for it. Not everyone has good taste.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

An old joke: Whats the difference between Brittney Spears and a skin flick?
Ansr: The skin flick has way better music.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 52
Jeezzz OP, are you like 12 or something
confused.gif

Your list is reallll small and limited wich gives me a hint of your personallity...like narrow-minded maybe
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 52
I don't think you can judge people by the kind of music they like, but you sure can tell a little bit about them. I believe in that. That's ok.

What I have problems with however, is people saying that certain music is "essential" to have. If you don't have certain music, you're a loser suddenly. I wonder whether these people would have bought that so called essential music if nobody had told them that it was essential music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back