The CD Collection Personality Test
Jul 18, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fun is cool, but stupid is stupid...i never said i had a problem, i just commented, that was all...it's very myopic, so to say the least, i like open minded music listeners
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too, so long as they don't listen to Justin Timberflake.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #33 of 52
While the whole 'I hate you because of your music collection' thing may seem childish, I think it really speaks to how one views the world. There are certain base level things people must agree with me about for me to be close friends with them. Its not that I dislike someone for not loving a certain band, but it just shows that there is a fundamental difference in how we relate to the world and what our general philosophies are.

This goes for tv, film, religion and politics as well. Anyone who hates 'Lost in Translation' may be a good person, but they do not relate to the world the way I do. Anyone who dislikes 'Arrested Development' (the tv show) clearly does not exist for the same reasons I do. This doesn't make me snide or elitist, it just means I have certain standards. Its no different from someone who refuses to friends with someone who drinks heavily, or someone who refuses to be friends with someone who never drinks at all.

A small caveat is that people can dislike certain things that I consider core values as long as they do it intelligently. I have heard genuinely compelling arguments from close friends on why 'Lost in Translation' isn't brilliant, and I can understand where they are coming from. Unfortunately, I have heard other just say 'oh, thats boring, nothing happens' and it is clear those people simply do not share a similar worldview, or atleast one that is similar enough for us to have a lasting and deep friendship.

So, you can dislike Coltrane, The Beatles, Tom Waits, Jeff Buckley, Outkast, The National etc. all you want. But you should have good reasons, and you shouldn't be offended if someone can't be your friend because of it.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #34 of 52
Most of my friends have totally different interests than me(in music and otherwise). I don't think I've ever met anyone with similar overall interests, in fact. If I did, I doubt we'd get along because it wouldn't be very interesting.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 52
I had one those "my friends just don't get it" moments last night. We were in the car, I think it took seven tries of picking out something on my iPod to listen to before they found something "not weird". Sufjan Stevens, Neko Case, etc...were not to their taste. I guess I'll choose to revel in my weirdness rather than question their musical taste...

On the other hand, they think my headphone rig sounds awesome, and don't think I'm nuts putting money into the hobby.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had one those "my friends just don't get it" moments last night. We were in the car, I think it took seven tries of picking out something on my iPod to listen to before they found something "not weird". Sufjan Stevens, Neko Case, etc...were not to their taste. I guess I'll choose to revel in my weirdness rather than question their musical taste...

On the other hand, they think my headphone rig sounds awesome, and don't think I'm nuts putting money into the hobby.

Excellent dilemma!
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 52
If I look at my bf's music collection I wanna cry. Lately I went through his collection to see if I could pick something out of it. If i had to base my judgement on his personality on his music, jeezzz we would be long gone. It's a very superficial easy music collection with no depth in it. (Luckily i play the music most of the time)
He is just not interested in that as much as I am. He likes what I listen but he just doesn't listen to it the way I do.
But his music collection doesn't make him a superficial or non-interesting person, in fact he looks further and is far more interesting than most people I meet (internet and real life).
I also haven't met one single person who likes all the genres that I like (not that I know off at the moment at least).
We all have different interests and that's what makes it so interesting.
To judge a person on the music they like or don't like seems superficial to me and unfair. There are more things that make ones personality.
And yes, I do tend to judge people on the programms they watch on tv, the films they like, the music they listen to but when I met my bf I found out that those findings were absolutely meaningless in judging what kind of personality he has.
Poehhh, I am rambling I guess, but I hope you get my point.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what exactly do people with 'totally different interests' do and talk about when they hang out?

If they are female and nice looking - sex.

If they are male - sports

Although, sports doesn't interest me much either. It's good to have friends that are different to you as it makes for good discussions of opposing views. I'm always up for good discussion, especially over a few drinks. If we all thought the same it would be a boring world indeed.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good to have friends that are different to you as it makes for good discussions of opposing views. I'm always up for good discussion, especially over a few drinks. If we all thought the same it would be a boring world indeed.

I agree with the above, though I don't think it explains how people with 'totally different interests' can be friends.

For a good discussion of opposing views, both have to be interested. I'm very interestet in politics and I have some great discussions with my friends because they are also into politics. I also care alot for music, but I really can't discuss that with my friends on the same level - because to them music is just background sounds.

Anyways on topic again. I made the list, although I think Spice Girls need more credit
wink.gif

Edit: Woohoo, 25 post and I'm no longer a junior member!

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #42 of 52
I've found that a person's ability to explain why they like a certain kind of music was more important than the kind itself. FOr example, someone who likes classical and jazz for looking like an intellectual is just a dork to me, but someone who likes rap and *trash beat* (over-compressed, super boomy techno songs made for club use) because he actually prefers to "hear" music rather than listening to it and accepts the fact he might leave some more "inspirated" music apart is more honest to me.

Jul 20, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry OP, but my musical friendship rainbow list has only one prerequisite - it is ESSENTIAL that you cannot like the Greatful Dead.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Who?

Seriously to the OP. From your list I would say you wouldn't tolerate me for 30 seconds let alone 30 minutes.

My list would be something like this -

Mel Torme
Riders in the Sky
Diana Krall
Benny Goodman
Mel Torme
Hevia
Jim Croce
Michael Buble
Charlotte Church
Did I mention Mel Torme?

Users who are viewing this thread