The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #2,341 of 2,420
HA-3 won't offer the same sound signature as C5, so try to arrange an audition in person before you go for that.

Mrspeakers Prime? Do you mean Prime Dog? I have the Alpha Dog and among the Cayin headphone amplifiers, HA-1Amk2 is my favorite choice for Alpha Dog, but this is quite a bit more expensive then HA-3.

Hi and sorry for a late reply.

I meant MrSpeakers Alpha Prime. HA-1 has somewhat non-conventional form factor for my current setup although I have no doubt it would sound very good indeed with Alpha Primes. But, how about lesser amps in The Cayin playground, like Cayin HA2i?

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #2,342 of 2,420
Hi and sorry for a late reply.

I meant MrSpeakers Alpha Prime. HA-1 has somewhat non-conventional form factor for my current setup although I have no doubt it would sound very good indeed with Alpha Primes. But, how about lesser amps in The Cayin playground, like Cayin HA2i?

The HA2i has been discontinued for a very long time, I am not sure if you can find one in the market. I tried this headphone amp. briefly with Alpha Dog back in mid 2014, it can handle the Alpha Dog alright, but noticeably behind the original HA-1A (MK 2 was released on 2016), so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it at that time. That was before I join Cayin as staff. If form factor is the main issue, get a iHA-6 on it own and use your DAP line out as source to the amplifier, This is the most cost effective solution under Cayin line up right now, and the iHA-6 is very scalable, a lot of users reported with favorable impression when they pair this headphone amplifier with very difficult headphones such as HD800, Abyss AB1266 and Susvara.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread.650510/page-1784#post-14273425

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,344 of 2,420
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #2,345 of 2,420
Is this portable amp still worth looking at these days?

Is cayin planning on releasing a replacement anytime? @Andykong

If you are after a full and warm sound (loads of bass) or want to drive power hungry headphones, then yes. The sound is still one of my favourite and one I return to. The lower floor noise on more modern units can mean they are used more - but depends what volume you listen at. This really is a classic amp - if you can find it at a resonable price, get it - you won’t be disappointed.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #2,346 of 2,420
It synergies really well with everything I have tried with it so far, Audeze Sine, EL-8, Sennheiser HD6XX, IEMs KZ ZS10, Ety HF5. What I like specially is the soundstage and 3D imaging, which really helps with closed cans like the Sine.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2,347 of 2,420
I just got the Cayin C5 to use with the Argon from Modhouse, a T50rp mod. There was 9 week wait time when I ordered the Argon Jul 2nd. In the mean time I'm using the C5 with my SennGrado
Headfi Cayin.jpg

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,348 of 2,420
It synergies really well with everything I have tried with it so far, Audeze Sine, EL-8, Sennheiser HD6XX, IEMs KZ ZS10, Ety HF5. What I like specially is the soundstage and 3D imaging, which really helps with closed cans like the Sine.

Let’s add HD800 to the list too, with bass boost of course, no treble fatigue or 6 kHz ringing. This amp is smooth, detailed and welcoming. Using a clean USB source like iPurifier2 really brings out the imaging abilities of HD800.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,349 of 2,420
It's one of very few sensibly-priced portable amps capable of driving planars properly.

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2,350 of 2,420
I have about 60 hours on the C5. I gave my neighbor a listen last night, he said it was so three dimensional that even though he had heard those tracks many times the 3D presentation made them seem new

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,353 of 2,420
when im listening to the cayin c5 connected to my galaxy s5 via otg, the sound sometimes stops for like half a second then keeps playing, its annoying and happens like 3 to 5 times per song. what is the problem? is it possibly my phone? im using the c5 amp/dac
It is usually problem of noname OTG cable. I am quite surprised noone told you to try branded OTG cable from iFi or Shanling to get rid off your problems with your C5dac-amp

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #2,355 of 2,420
Quite surprised that the cayin c5 can drive the he560s really well. Good dynamics, soundstage and extension. Lots of power too. Totally forgot about my burson ha160 after hearing this combo. At less than 200$ this amp is really punching above its price range.

I don't have anything quite in the HE560 area, just a set of HD6XX's and a pair of HE-4XX but I agree, the Cayin is a monster for its price. It can drive my somewhat-hard-to drive phones quite well and it's my go-to portable amp with those cans. 800mW (32Ω load) for 200 bucks, that's a good deal...I've just got it lined-out to my FiiO X5III and on high gain I get very decent headroom, bass boost is a nice option too. The C5 was my first foray into the Head-Fi space back in 2015 and it has been a reliable piece of kit like no other. I've got a couple of other portable Amp/DACs, and while they offer their own unique features, when you just want simple, clean power the C5 is it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back