The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Feb 10, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,291 of 2,420
Maybe not yet available on my local Amazon (or never will). Searched both there and ebay, no Cayin C5 available as now.
I'm glad I got mine for 99€ from my Amazon though.
It's on amazon. I just saw it follow the link on this page.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,293 of 2,420
Today I listened a lot with X5+C5+Grado PS500. The C5 just keeps on amazing me. On low gain (volume only at 3) and with bass boost on it has great synergy with the PS500. I don't think I ever heard this headphone sound better than this
atsmile.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,294 of 2,420

Really excited to hear your comparison on the C5 vs E12 v1 especially in the bass boost department. I'm trying to decide between the two myself and while I've read a lot about both I don't think I've seen a single direct comparison. Can't wait to read your impressions!

I finally settled all this for myself. Here's the thread.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,295 of 2,420
I'm still not decided on whether to get the C5 or e12A for my x5+he-400i.

At the moment i use a e12 (hi gain), the C5 on paper seems to pair well but if the e12A is just as good I would prefer the much longer battery life and versatility with IEMs. Which is brighter?

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,296 of 2,420
I'm still not decided on whether to get the C5 or e12A for my x5+he-400i.

At the moment i use a e12 (hi gain), the C5 on paper seems to pair well but if the e12A is just as good I would prefer the much longer battery life and versatility with IEMs. Which is brighter?

They are both very good amps, but different. I would not say one is "better" than the other in absolute terms. Rather, they offer a different kind of presentation with different strengths. Which you will like better really comes down to your taste in sound.

C5 is more powerful and dynamic sounding. With the right associated equipment, the soundstage can sound huge. It really grabs you with its control of the pace and dynamics. Makes music sound sure and powerful. Lots of conviction to the sound.

The E12A, on the other hand, is more intimate. Really grabs you with the flow of the music. Focuses on more of the tone and texture, and ebb and flow, of the sounds. Captivating in its own way.

When I use either one of these amps, I really get drawn into the sound and end up running with it for weeks.

Then I'll get and itch to switch and I'll end up listening to, and enjoying, the other one for several weeks at a stretch.

Both are very good amps, but offer a different kind of presentation.

I would say the C5 probably has a more energetic treble, but I would hesitate to call it bright. It seems balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

The E12A does not draw attention to the treble. Some may say it's a little soft at the top. But unless you really enjoy a sparkly treble effect, the E12A still does have enough treble energy to serve the music well.

I really like both of these amps.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #1,297 of 2,420
Oh thanks! I think I would prefer the C5. I Wonder if fiio or cayin will bring out successors to these anytime soon.
Guess I'm gonna have to try them both, or buy whichever comes up cheap on the forums ^_^

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,298 of 2,420
They are both very good amps, but different. I would not say one is "better" than the other in absolute terms. Rather, they offer a different kind of presentation with different strengths. Which you will like better really comes down to your taste in sound.

C5 is more powerful and dynamic sounding. With the right associated equipment, the soundstage can sound huge. It really grabs you with its control of the pace and dynamics. Makes music sound sure and powerful. Lots of conviction to the sound.

The E12A, on the other hand, is more intimate. Really grabs you with the flow of the music. Focuses on more of the tone and texture, and ebb and flow, of the sounds. Captivating in its own way.

When I use either one of these amps, I really get drawn into the sound and end up running with it for weeks.

Then I'll get and itch to switch and I'll end up listening to, and enjoying, the other one for several weeks at a stretch.

Both are very good amps, but offer a different kind of presentation.

I would say the C5 probably has a more energetic treble, but I would hesitate to call it bright. It seems balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

The E12A does not draw attention to the treble. Some may say it's a little soft at the top. But unless you really enjoy a sparkly treble effect, the E12A still does have enough treble energy to serve the music well.

I really like both of these amps.

Oh man...twister6's review on both and your post really made me curious about this E12A.
I already have the C5 (and E12) but I think it's nice to have another excellent amp with a different soundsignature.

In the end it's all about synergy imo. Just curious, what headphones / iems did you use with C5 / E12A? Can't find them under your profile...
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #1,299 of 2,420
  Oh man...twister6's review on both and your post really made me curious about this E12A.
I already have the C5 (and E12) but I think it's nice to have another excellent amp with a different soundsignature.

In the end it's all about synergy imo. Just curious, what headphones / iems did you use with C5 / E12A? Can't find them under your profile...
beerchug.gif

Gosh, right now mostly IEMs. The ones I have in my portable bag are the Audeo PFE-232, Sony XBA-H3, Sony XBA-40, HiFi Man RE-600, and Westone 3.

I also have started using the crisper sounding Audio Technica CKN-70. I fire up the KEF M200, Audio Technica IM-50, and TTPod T1E sometimes, too.

Those are the main IEMs I use out and about, though I have other IEMs that are good but don't see much air time.

For portable going-out headphones, I generally use the Thinksound ON-1, Martin Logan Mikros 90, Logitech UE6000, Audio Technica M50x, and Sennheiser Amperior. That's for out-and-about. I don't usually use my open cans or more bulky/high-end cans outside my house.

I actually also have two E12DIY amps running different chips, too, so many different flavors of IEMs, phones, and portable amps.

Of course, not everything sounds good together.

Yes, you are right - there are certain synergies, some really great sounding pairings, that you'll find based on your listening preferences. Other combinations will fall flat on their faces, or just not offer anything special.

I actually set up a Google Doc so I could keep track of the pairings that sound especially good to me. Otherwise, I would forget with all the different permutations!

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,301 of 2,420
  In China, now is the time to celebrate, every household to prepare the Spring Festival, which is a traditional Chinese festival here, and I wish all the attention CAYIN people, Happy New Year!

Same in Singapore too! 

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,302 of 2,420

I also have started using the crisper sounding Audio Technica CKN-70. 

Lately CKN-70 has become one of my favorite iems.  Between C5 and E12A, which one sound better to you with CKN70? 

During my recent 2-week home leave, I only brought my X5 with me and didn't bring along my C5 and boy...  I really suffered from the C5 withdrawal for the entire 2 weeks and I was so tempted to buy E12A which was on sale during that time. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back