The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Dec 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #901 of 2,420

And after the burn-in is the afterburn-in. But that goes really fast!

Lol...as long as it doesn't involve a burn-out for you in the end
biggrin.gif

Btw, the C5 delivered great SQ straight out of the box imo. I let it burn in just by using it every day.
Hope yours will arrive soon in good condition.
beerchug.gif

Me too! 
beerchug.gif

Has there been a problem with C5s arriving in not good condition?

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #902 of 2,420
A holographic soundstage in portable form is exactly what I'm looking for. I've come around to the idea that portable amps aren't just for when you leave home. I like to work/listen in different places in my apartment. Being plugged into a beastly desktop amp makes that difficult. Of course, when I want to do the cereal audiophile thang I'll sit or recline at my desktop. I don't want to sacrifice too much SQ when moving around.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #903 of 2,420

Well, mine was fine, no problems whatsoever...
But I thought maybe you've read post #860 of this thread by TeddyShot

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #904 of 2,420

Well, mine was fine, no problems whatsoever...
But I thought maybe you've read post #860 of this thread by TeddyShot

Just read it. I missed that one. Great, now I'm nervous. Did you order yours from Shenzhen via Amazon? In any event, it's certainly nice to see Cayin directly responding to the problem on the forum.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #905 of 2,420
  Just read it. I missed that one. Great, now I'm nervous. Did you order yours from Shenzhen via Amazon? In any event, it's certainly nice to see Cayin directly responding to the problem on the forum.

Sorry, didn't want to cause any stress...but I think Shenzhen has good customer service (bought something there in the past and they were very friendly and helpfull). I'm sure they will help you out in case there is a problem with your C5.

I ordered mine in EU (EA Emporium, UK), just because it saved me some import taxes...

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #906 of 2,420
The Cayin C5 I ordered from CTC Audio just arrived. I just plugged it in to my iPads charger to power it up. So far it looks to be in perfect cosmetic condition. I'll report back once it's charged for my audio test.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #907 of 2,420
Everything appears to be working perfectly, the volume knob is nice and firm, all the charging LEDs are fully lit, there are no scratches on the unit, and it sounds spectacular. However, there is something very interesting I noticed on the unit. When I first opened it, I looked at it at thought, "damn this thing is stunning", the only thing strange with that being I had looked at the previous one 5 minutes ago. After grabbing the other one and putting them side by side, I noticed that the new one has a completely different texture with the prevous one having a grainy texture, the new one has a smoother one, resembling the texture of stainless steel. Besides this the numbers on the volum knob are a different font too. It also came with an English manual. Apart from this I have not noticed any other differences, but it's quite interesting to see this, has Cayin revised the unit with a different appearance, or is there a change in the inside too?

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #908 of 2,420
I also noticed this. My original C5 was from the later batch, but it developed a crack on the plastic cap (spontaneously).

I returned it to Shenzhen Audio, and received a replacement from the earlier batch (no drawstring bag). I was surprised by the rougher surface texture.

The plastic cap, however, has held up well to use!

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #909 of 2,420
I also noticed this. My original C5 was from the later batch, but it developed a crack on the plastic cap (spontaneously).

I returned it to Shenzhen Audio, and received a replacement from the earlier batch (no drawstring bag). I was surprised by the rougher surface texture.

Hmm, the previous ones also had the drawstring bag, yet had the rougher texture. I can say I love the new texture much more.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #910 of 2,420
Please allow me to say sorry, Cayin always tried my best to product quality.

Aluminum casing article is a relatively complex and difficult to control part, for the size does not need to worry about, but each will have a number of small differences in the appearance of the surface treatment, which may relate to the color, the surface smoothness and so on, but they did not use common C5 black, which led to more easily distinguish these differences.

Therefore, we have developed a number of templates, these templates are used in all the production process, to tell the inspectors of these issues, so that standards are unified and execution, although to pay a considerable cost.

However, a few friends from the above reply of view, this process we may still not completely controlled, please allow me to say sorry, We will again from the inspection process and to review, is that the link causing these problems, while further on suppliers and producers \ inspection personnel training.

Again sorry for the emergence of such a thing, we will do our best to improve it all.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #911 of 2,420

Aluminum casing article is a relatively complex and difficult to control part, for the size does not need to worry about, but each will have a number of small differences in the appearance of the surface treatment, which may relate to the color, the surface smoothness and so on, but they did not use common C5 black, which led to more easily distinguish these differences.

Therefore, we have developed a number of templates, these templates are used in all the production process, to tell the inspectors of these issues, so that standards are unified and execution, although to pay a considerable cost.

However, a few friends from the above reply of view, this process we may still not completely controlled, please allow me to say sorry, We will again from the inspection process and to review, is that the link causing these problems, while further on suppliers and producers \ inspection personnel training.

Again sorry for the emergence of such a thing, we will do our best to improve it all.

You once posted here that the charging management chip always stays on even when the unit is powered off, doesn't that mean that the any exposure to water or strong humidity will damage the unit even while its powered off? Or is it water resistant?

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #912 of 2,420
So far e c5 has proven itself based on e number of good reviews n positive feedback in e thread. Expectations have crept in insidiously to e point that we e texture of e aluminium! That doesnt affect sound.

dont forget how much it cost. If there is premium c5 w consistent aluminum texture n unbreakable plastic cover etc will u pay 100 more? Most amps as power n capable easily cost twice as much or more.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #913 of 2,420

my cracked too. But still usuable n sounds e same.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #914 of 2,420

I noticed that the farthest right LED is blinking (though somewhat sporadically) now that it's lower in power. Is this a new addition? the previous ones I had tested didn't have this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back