The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Oct 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #467 of 2,420
So no noise floor on any iem? Even sensitive ones? My topping nx1 has a lot noise... This one fix that?

Not a peep.

Though I will admit to hearing a signal noise from the amp, but it is obviously something I hear in my fiio amp anyway.

It does pick up sounds from my pc unfortunately, but a player like my sony walkman has minuscule noise.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #468 of 2,420
The DX90 with Cayin C5 is an excellent combination. Early impressions still. Runs very near to my DX100/HDP-R10. A little drier sounding, slightly less smooth across the midrange. Bass reproduction is still better on the R10, though the difference is smaller with the C5 bass boost activated. Everything else is just about on par IMO. 

The most apparent improvement the C5 brings is to increase the spatial height and depth of sound (Less so for width). It's not even subtle.

I recalled @Peter123 mentioning the C5 being the Havi B3 of amps. Feeling a tinge of regret letting my B3s go now. Should have kept it for another week just to try out the pairing 
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #469 of 2,420
  The DX90 with Cayin C5 is an excellent combination. Early impressions still. Runs very near to my DX100/HDP-R10. A little drier sounding, slightly less smooth across the midrange. Bass reproduction is still better on the R10, though the difference is smaller with the C5 bass boost activated. Everything else is just about on par IMO. 

The most apparent improvement the C5 brings is to increase the spatial height and depth of sound (Less so for width). It's not even subtle.

I recalled @Peter123 mentioning the C5 being the Havi B3 of amps. Feeling a tinge of regret letting my B3s go now. Should have kept it for another week just to try out the pairing 
frown.gif

It's a fantastic pairing.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #470 of 2,420
I also find them to be a great combination.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #471 of 2,420
DX90 + C5 is better than the standalone DX90 for most genres, especially anything with vocals and/or multi-instrumentation.

But the C5 is definitely a 'fun' sounding amp rather than a 'reference' one. The C5-amped DX90 doesn't sound like the DX90 because it compensates by losing some of its signature expansiveness of sound.

Rather weirdly, it actually pulls closer to the characteristics of a Fiio X5. (Relatively) intimate sounding, albeit less warm, and with superior treble extension and soundstage. This is from a direct A/B testing.

In short, I do think having the DX90 and the C5 amp renders the Fiio X5 quite obsolete, simply because it's the X5 on steroids. And that shocks me quite a fair bit, because the X5 to me is itself a great sounding DAP, and also because I very much felt that the X3 was superior to the DX50 when I had both with me a while back.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #472 of 2,420
I couldn't take it anymore and bought one.  Presently using an X3 and Rockboxed iPod each with an e12.  Am hoping it lives up to the hype.  I think it will or I wouldn't have bought one :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #474 of 2,420
Sorry I had not provided impressions about the Cayin C5 amp.

Later tonight I will be able to post good impressions.

For now I can say that the black space that Bhazard stated earlier is spot on. I feel that this black space actually made the engaging mids of the ckr9s sound slightly laid back, which is what i was looking for. The sound is now smoother, silkier, and warmer while also being lusher.

I swear, this amp is frigging great, and I have been using it for 4 hours with 2/3rds of the battery still in tact. I love this amp and it looks gorgeous. GORGEOUS.

I love the crispy/silky mids and the wonderful treble that I hear from this amp. It is an improvement over the stock sound heard from my desktop. I'm so glad I got this now than never. The bass is also beautiful and powerful as it is bigger, bolder, stronger, and punchier.

That's all for now. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #476 of 2,420
  I couldn't take it anymore and bought one.  Presently using an X3 and Rockboxed iPod each with an e12.  Am hoping it lives up to the hype.  I think it will or I wouldn't have bought one :)

I promise.You will be happy for this choice, I also believe, C5 sound performance with this post to share all the same and bring you happiness. 

Thank all chose CAYIN C5 friend, you will never make us motivation.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #477 of 2,420
So I gave in to all the rave reviews and ordered one. Can't wait for it to arrive at my doorstep!

Will do a comparison with my E12DIY. Should be interesting to see which comes out top, as they have very similar pricing.

What's the best DAP to pair the C5 with?

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #478 of 2,420
I just posted my C5 review. Here's the link for those who might find it interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-c5-portable-hifi-audio-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11726

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #479 of 2,420
  I just posted my C5 review. Here's the link for those who might find it interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-c5-portable-hifi-audio-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11726

Excellent review and great pictures!

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #480 of 2,420

Users who are viewing this thread

Back