The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Sep 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #271 of 2,420

Another thing about amp reviews, as I'm learning now, it's not as much about describing it by itself, but describing how it compares to other amps as well as comparing DAPs HO amped output vs LO + ext amp.  With headphones, you can just sit down and describe a sound which could be sufficient enough.  With amp - I'm keep reaching to other points of reference for comparison in order to describe it.  Just my 2 cents.

True you'd need something to compare it to as a reference. @twister6 your reviews are great btw, I enjoy reading them 
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #272 of 2,420
Nice review though. I have never had proper amps. My next cash splash will definitely be an amp and I am sold on the c5. I will buy it for sure unless I find a better amp than the c5 at similar pricing. So far I doubt theres any. Writing reviews on amps is never an easy thing; you'd have to know to listen very well because differences are not as huge as trying out phones i guess. 

If you find anything better please let me know :wink:

You've gotta lot of great IEM's that deserve a great amp, it's not only about power but also the quality that comes out.

And you're right, the differences are smaller than with phones but they come out in the long run.

Have the C5 in the cart at Shenzhen Audio and on the verge of clicking the "Check Out With PayPal". You guys are making it so difficult to resist. Have to retire to bed and have another day of agony tomorrow trying to resist the temptation. 

Btw peter123, nice impression and straight to the point.

Thanks! There's no reason to wait :wink:

Another thing about amp reviews, as I'm learning now, it's not as much about describing it by itself, but describing how it compares to other amps as well as comparing DAPs HO amped output vs LO + ext amp.  With headphones, you can just sit down and describe a sound which could be sufficient enough.  With amp - I'm keep reaching to other points of reference for comparison in order to describe it.  Just my 2 cents.

Great point. I also found that comparison is easier than just to describe it. I still find it way more difficult than to compare headphones.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #273 of 2,420
You guys are dangerous.  My head stage Arrow has died and I can't get an answer from the maker....time for me to move on since I bought that like 4 years ago...

Just bought this amp!  I will pair it up with my Note 3 with a USB-OTG hooked up to a USB DAC (head stage lol), and I also have an old iPod mini with Wolfson DAC +Fiio LOD3....my cans are the Shure SRH940 and the Sennheiser HD650, and Shure 535 IEMs.

Can't wait to try it out!  It was cheaper directly from their website btw rather than ebay, by 10 bucks.  Thanks all for this info, seems that Cayin is a trusted maker of amps.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #274 of 2,420
Don't think twice about ordering! With overseas shipping, the sooner you can order, the less time you might have to wait. I hope everybody gets through with their orders a lot quicker than mine. I'll still be living vicariously through you guys until mine gets here eventually.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #275 of 2,420
Yes, Cayin and Opera Consonance (and, to a lesser extent, Xindak / Emotiva) are the "gold standard" for Chinese amps.

Cayin were one of the first Chi-Fi brands to come to the West... They are best known for powerful push-pull valve amps (their KT-88 designs are held in particularly high regard). I nearly bought an A-88T myself (but the lure of PSE 300Bs was stronger :)).

Also watch out for Meixing (Ming Da) and Dussun (used to make amps for Mark Levinson / Red Rose!).

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #276 of 2,420
Yes, Cayin and Opera Consonance (and, to a lesser extent, Xindak / Emotiva) are the "gold standard" for Chinese amps.

Cayin were one of the first Chi-Fi brands to come to the West... They are best known for powerful push-pull valve amps (their KT-88 designs are held in particularly high regard). I nearly bought an A-88T myself (but the lure of PSE 300Bs was stronger :)).

Also watch out for Meixing (Ming Da) and Dussun (used to make amps for Mark Levinson / Red Rose!).

been using cayin since 2006. Never needed servicing for both amps I owned. Cayin china support is excellent. If u followed e thread u would have noticed I got mine c5 a week ago n unfortunate e battery indicator led was faulty. After a gew diagnostic pm w cayin, e exchange unit is on e way. Granted that they r not responsible for units shipped out of china, still they honored their products n took necessary actions.
Kudos.
Many china brand has come n go...cayin stays n gets better.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #277 of 2,420
I wonder if Opera Consonance will bring out a portable amp. They are launching a range of DAPs (including an in-car unit!!!).

How about a tube hybrid with a built-in NOS DAC (accepting an SPDIF input)? This would play to their strengths...

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #278 of 2,420
been using cayin since 2006. Never needed servicing for both amps I owned. Cayin china support is excellent. If u followed e thread u would have noticed I got mine c5 a week ago n unfortunate e battery indicator led was faulty. After a gew diagnostic pm w cayin, e exchange unit is on e way. Granted that they r not responsible for units shipped out of china, still they honored their products n took necessary actions.
Kudos.
Many china brand has come n go...cayin stays n gets better.

I had similar problem with my unit as well but as soon as I informed them the problem I had, they sent me the replacement unit to me in a next day. Their customer supports are excellent.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #279 of 2,420
I had similar problem with my unit as well but as soon as I informed them the problem I had, they sent me the replacement unit to me in a next day. Their customer supports are excellent.

+1, I also had a similar problem and my replacement unit has already been here for some time.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #280 of 2,420
+1, I also had a similar problem and my replacement unit has already been here for some time.

looks like that part of circuit needs some attention. Quite a few ppl encounter e problem. Although e led doesnt affect function (in fact, all u need to do is charge it when there is ni light than when left w 1 led.) it still nicer to receive a fully functional product.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #282 of 2,420
I tried extremely hard to resist, but I couldn't in the end.

Spunked $80 a couple of days ago on the DGS100. That's $240 gone in a matter of days.

Dsnuts pushed me to the edge, and Peter pushed me off.

I'm in.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #285 of 2,420
  I tried extremely hard to resist, but I couldn't in the end.

Spunked $80 a couple of days ago on the DGS100. That's $240 gone in a matter of days.

Dsnuts pushed me to the edge, and Peter pushed me off.

I'm in.

I'm glad to be at your sevrvice 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back