The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,531 of 2,420

haven't noticed it - might be the relay (?)

Not sure if it is relay. Far as i know, relay only makes a pop sound and then goes off. But in my case, its a solid 3 sec noise. Also my unit's build quality isn't great. It flexes when i hold it to connect my headphones. I do not get the feeling of holding a solidly build unit.

All these problems are making me think about returning it before this thing goes kaput.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,532 of 2,420
Hey gang

Gee...read all thru these 103 pages! Mental stuff...so lookee I pulled the trigger and a shiny champers one should be arriving Friday for all of £119 UK sterling. Bargain! I'm looking to use this with an Oppo PM3 which I have yet to purchase. Anyone got this combo? If so..does the amp widen the Oppo's reportedly relatively smallish soundstage. And soz I may have missed it but what voltage and ampage is suitable for a charger. I got Ipod and Samsung chargers here?

Thanks gang.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,533 of 2,420
Hey gang

Gee...read all thru these 103 pages! Mental stuff...so lookee I pulled the trigger and a shiny champers one should be arriving Friday for all of £119 UK sterling. Bargain! I'm looking to use this with an Oppo PM3 which I have yet to purchase. Anyone got this combo? If so..does the amp widen the Oppo's reportedly relatively smallish soundstage. And soz I may have missed it but what voltage and ampage is suitable for a charger. I got Ipod and Samsung chargers here?

Thanks gang.

5 volts 2 amps

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,534 of 2,420
  Not sure if it is relay. Far as i know, relay only makes a pop sound and then goes off. But in my case, its a solid 3 sec noise. Also my unit's build quality isn't great. It flexes when i hold it to connect my headphones. I do not get the feeling of holding a solidly build unit.

All these problems are making me think about returning it before this thing goes kaput.

Yes, that's the way a relay typically operates, so I don't know what that solid 3 second noise could be.
Maybe some leakage or other defect on an internal part (e.g. the switch).

My unit also has that flexing, but it doesn't bother me that much.  First, I haven't tried tightening
those 2 tiny screws at one end.  Second, I'm sure you know, flexing in metal units can result in
greater strength and resiliency than non flexing.  (Depends what type of flexing.) Third, the thing
sounds and works great.  Never cuts out, channel tracking is excellent, charge and play time are great also.  
Hasn't clipped despite some very demanding input.  I've been listening to it a lot, it's getting equal time with
my JDS C5 now.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,535 of 2,420

Yes, that's the way a relay typically operates, so I don't know what that solid 3 second noise could be.
Maybe some leakage or other defect on an internal part (e.g. the switch).

My unit also has that flexing, but it doesn't bother me that much.  First, I haven't tried tightening
those 2 tiny screws at one end.  Second, I'm sure you know, flexing in metal units can result in
greater strength and resiliency than non flexing.  (Depends what type of flexing.) Third, the thing
sounds and works great.  Never cuts out, channel tracking is excellent, charge and play time are great also.  
Hasn't clipped despite some very demanding input.  I've been listening to it a lot, it's getting equal time with
my JDS C5 now.

Thanks @zazex
I had to return the unit as the noise from amp has worsened. Now it has started to make that noise all through charging process. 
I guess i will wait for next gen of this amp and look for a better built unit

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,536 of 2,420
  Thanks @zazex
I had to return the unit as the noise from amp has worsened. Now it has started to make that noise all through charging process. 

Well, good to know anyway (if it happens to anyone else) & sorry you had to put up with the hassle of a defective unit
:/

Any ideas what - if anything - you'll buy to replace it?

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,537 of 2,420

Well, good to know anyway (if it happens to anyone else) & sorry you had to put up with the hassle of a defective unit
:/

Any ideas what - if anything - you'll buy to replace it?

I want to wait and see what Cayin comes up with, as an upgrade/sequel to C5. Till then my backup Fiio E6 shud do the job. For home use I have the schiit modi/magni combo.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,538 of 2,420
  Thanks @zazex

They make that noise if slightly over 2amps even if the charger says 2amps on the exterior and its generic it might not be exactly on 2amps.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,539 of 2,420
Is it normal to start falling in love with the C5? I might have a problem lol.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,540 of 2,420
They make that noise if slightly over 2amps even if the charger says 2amps on the exterior and its generic it might not be exactly on 2amps.

Good to know. But i had tried with a 1 amp motorola charger and the noise was there, albeit less audible than that with a 2amp charger.
Its quite possible that my unit was defective as no one else seems to have this issue.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,541 of 2,420
Good to know. But i had tried with a 1 amp motorola charger and the noise was there, albeit less audible than that with a 2amp charger.
Its quite possible that my unit was defective as no one else seems to have this issue.

I think over and under-powered have a similar effect from memory ! Anyway seems like you had multiple issues with your amp though the majority have been fine...it happens.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,542 of 2,420
Break in is shaping up well with the C5. Started off pretty sibilant with my VC1000 but now it's a little smoother and still plenty clear.

I'd to like hear any opinions on how this amp pairs with Q701. I'm considering getting that headphone and I'm hoping the C5 will do it nicely. Also, any comparisons on C5 vs Vali/Modi vs O2+DAC for Q701? Thanks!

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #1,543 of 2,420

Used to have the Vali/Modi combo and still have the Q710 and they were a very nice pairing with the warmth of the Schiit stack a good counter point to the "clarity" of the Q701. I have a C5 at the moment and although it pairs quite nicely with the Q701, the Schiit stack is still, IMO, a better partnership as the synergy is better, to my ears. That being said, I feel it is a little of an unfair comparison as the C5 is a portable amp up against a very capable desktop dac/amp combo. As for the O2+DAC, sorry, I don't have this piece of gear so am unable to comment.  Cheers.

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #1,544 of 2,420
I know I was just giving C5 the benefit since it seems be one hell of a portable. I read a lot about how good Q and Vali/Modi pair, just wanted to see if was worth upgrading from C5. I had it in mind that C5 with bass boost would be similar to Vali/Modi in signature but I could be completely wrong.

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,545 of 2,420

Don't get wrong, the C5 sounds good with the Q701's but the Vali has a lot more power and seems to handle the Q701 with more finesse and I am sure that this is because of the extra power available but, once again, this is just IMO. Your experience may be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back