The Catcher in the Rye is no more.... RIP
Jan 28, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
Jan 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 24
That's terrible - I've always loved Salinger's work.

Though the silver lining might be a few more books from the estate. There have been rumors that he continued to write. Maybe we'll get to enjoy some unknown masterpieces in a year or two.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 24
Never read it
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though the silver lining might be a few more books from the estate. There have been rumors that he continued to write. Maybe we'll get to enjoy some unknown masterpieces in a year or two.

It's bad, but this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the headline. The BBC reported: "Although many years have passed since the publication of any work by Salinger, friends and visitors to his home have revealed that he has a large safe containing at least 15 completed manuscripts."

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Sad to hear this news.

RIP

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's bad, but this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the headline. The BBC reported: "Although many years have passed since the publication of any work by Salinger, friends and visitors to his home have revealed that he has a large safe containing at least 15 completed manuscripts."

Wow. 15?! Maybe Salinger didn't want the attention, but that's no longer an issue. I hope he left instructions for publication - it would be a shame if the world of letters lost those works. I hope that he considered how many people would be happy if they had a chance to read them.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who among us has not read Catcher in the Rye? At least once.

Never heard of him let alone the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back