The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Mar 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #976 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, yes, my perfect daily drive is an elise or Caterham, but they're a bit out of my reach right now.

Funny! I laugh every time I see that word: Caterham. At the AtomClub, you'll never see that word because there is a language filter in place that converts it to "other track car" (complete with the quote/unquote). Chalk it up to British humor. The administrator of the site set it up that way and refuses to get rid of that filter despite that fact that it causes dead links and problems with the search feature. It's Ok to call it a Crate though. That one passes muster.

The R500 Crate looks to be quite the car, at least based on test results. Really quite impressive. It's probably the first Crate that I would give serious consideration to were I in the market today. I still don't like the looks of it (it's kind of the Grado of track cars; you either dig that 1950's look or you don't) but you sure can't knock the performance.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #977 of 1,511
For a track car I don't get the atom and caterham and whatnot. I mean, yeah, they're awesome, but isn't half the fun building your own ride?

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #978 of 1,511
Found this video and just have to follow up the pictures of the bikers riding to North Cape in February.
If I only had the nerve!
popcorn.gif

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #979 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a track car I don't get the atom and caterham and whatnot. I mean, yeah, they're awesome, but isn't half the fun building your own ride?

Not for some of us. I'd much rather be driving than "building", "tuning", "diagnosing", "repairing" or "anything-else-ing" when it comes to cars.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #981 of 1,511
But don't you guys respect the car guy more who's built his ride, rather than worked in an office and just paid for one?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #984 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But don't you guys respect the car guy more who's built his ride, rather than worked in an office and just paid for one?

Do I respect the guy more who built his ride? No - I respect him differently. I have much respect for people who can really build and tune cars, no doubt. But the respect I have for car builders, excellent mechanics, etc. is completely different from the respect I have for people who are excellent drivers.

It's important, IMO, to realize that building cars and driving skillfully are two different things. There are incredible builders who really are lousy performance drivers (excellent cars notwithstanding) and conversely, there are some excellent drivers who are not interested at all in building the car, wouldn't even know how, and would rather just write the check. There's nothing wrong with either extreme, really, as long as people are enjoying themselves. (Although a somewhat more moderate approach in the middle of the spectrum may allow one to have the most fun with cars.)

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #985 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny! I laugh every time I see that word: Caterham. At the AtomClub, you'll never see that word because there is a language filter in place that converts it to "other track car" (complete with the quote/unquote). Chalk it up to British humor. The administrator of the site set it up that way and refuses to get rid of that filter despite that fact that it causes dead links and problems with the search feature. It's Ok to call it a Crate though. That one passes muster.

The R500 Crate looks to be quite the car, at least based on test results. Really quite impressive. It's probably the first Crate that I would give serious consideration to were I in the market today. I still don't like the looks of it (it's kind of the Grado of track cars; you either dig that 1950's look or you don't) but you sure can't knock the performance.

So how often does your atom actually get used? Secondly, is the R500 crate for sale where you live?

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #989 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I respect the guy more who built his ride? No - I respect him differently. I have much respect for people who can really build and tune cars, no doubt. But the respect I have for car builders, excellent mechanics, etc. is completely different from the respect I have for people who are excellent drivers.

It's important, IMO, to realize that building cars and driving skillfully are two different things. There are incredible builders who really are lousy performance drivers (excellent cars notwithstanding) and conversely, there are some excellent drivers who are not interested at all in building the car, wouldn't even know how, and would rather just write the check. There's nothing wrong with either extreme, really, as long as people are enjoying themselves. (Although a somewhat more moderate approach in the middle of the spectrum may allow one to have the most fun with cars.)

From my experience the better the person knows how a car works, the better the driver. I haven't met someone who can outdrive me, and still be ignorant of changing an axle/swapping suspensions.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #990 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how often does your atom actually get used? Secondly, is the R500 crate for sale where you live?

It gets used for months at a time and then doesn't get used for months at a time, just like my stereo system and headphones. I basically live in 2 places, at least now that I have the Atom and motorhome.

Most of my audio stuff is in Cayman. I'm here in the Fall and Winter (most of September through March) with one or two trips at most back to the US. The Atom and motorhome are in the US, and I'm there for most of April through August, with or or two quick trips back to Cayman.

It would be possible to bring a car like the R500 or even something like a Lotus Exige to Cayman, but for one, I can't afford it at this point, and two, it really doesn't make a lot of sense given that there are no tracks of any quality here and the speed limit is 40 mph in most places.

So I miss the Atom and the freedom to roam around when I'm here, and I miss toying around with and tweaking my audio systems when I'm in the US. I've got a Vespa scooter in Cayman (not the same as an Atom by any means, but it can be kind of fun) and I'm planning to bring a case of 600 of my favorite CDs for the summer trip and set up a decent headphone based system in the rig. Last summer, all I had was an iPod and it about drove me nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back