The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Oct 11, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #91 of 1,511
Safer to learn the heel-toe technique to downshift while keeping your revs up.

Left foot braking can cause all kinds of car control issues if not done properly, and it takes enormous skill and concentration to do it properly at speed, which is precisely when you ought to be concentrating on other things! At least if you're not a pro or a highly practiced (on this technique) everyday Joe.

About the only time it makes sense (to me) to left foot brake is if you're doing a 0-100-0 type of run in a straight line and thus need to get on the brakes hard (threshold braking) while knowing full well that you won't have to get back on the throttle. It just saves you a split second as you take the car out of gear and into neutral.

It's totally different, of course, if you're just playing around at moderate speeds and are not attempting anything drastic at speed that is intended to enhance your performance/time in a track environment. In that case (just farting around), I don't see any problem with left foot braking.

I used to play around with left foot braking with my automatic Trans Am which didn't really have room to allow heel-toe. It's actually a lot easier if you don't have a clutch to be dealing with.

Left foot braking can be quite useful on the track to help you avoid understeer. Essentially, left-foot braking is a technique used to help pro drivers to correct their racing lines and/or to brake while having the right foot on the throttle without upsetting the car's balance (as opposed to taking the right foot off the gas pedal and using it on the brake pedal).

Heel-toe downshifting is used when braking into a corner, allowing you to match revs as you shift gears and thus come out of corners more smoothly and with greater acceleration. Unless you have three feet, I doubt you could do this while left foot braking!

Left foot breaking takes a bit longer and thus is generally less effective. For drifting a race car on the track, heal-toe downshifting definitely allows you to be smother in your drifts. For a fat old fart like me, however, it's pretty hard on the right hip joint!

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #92 of 1,511
Yep, I do heel and toe. Learnt how to do so when I was in my instructors car actually without him teaching me
biggrin.gif
A good heel-and-toe feels good too. No real reason to do it on the road other than because I can
tongue.gif

Having said that, I find that LFB works very well for front drivers, as you can shift more weight around the car entering the apex, thus killing some of the understeer.

But, nothing beats a proper race sequential/dog box. They're so nice to use its not funny: Clutch, first, than just pull or push the lever to go up and down the gears. Than again, a Hollinger is the steep end of $15K AUD.......

Oh yeah, who watched the jap F1? Lewis Hamilton = Fail, and I'm hoping Massa wins at Singapore.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #94 of 1,511
I have a problem.

I recently picked up a 2003 Toyota Echo, and it is the slowest thing ever (Thank god mine's a manual. I can't imagine how slow the automatic would be). But anyway, I went to give the car a wash after I got it to clean away spider-webs on the wing mirror and rear spoiler, and when I was done it was immaculate.

However, I've recently noticed cobwebs starting to form on the wing mirrors again. The previous owner, my friend, had the car parked in a carport, but I've been parking mine in a proper garage, so spider webs shouldn't be an issue......

One of my mates said that there might be spiders living inside the wing mirror. How the heck do I get them the f$%^ out? (I'm a massive neat freak, so yeah).

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #95 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my mates said that there might be spiders living inside the wing mirror. How the heck do I get them the f$%^ out? (I'm a massive neat freak, so yeah).

Raid? Spray a little in there and that should find them wherever they are! It's kind of like WD40 in that you are forever finding more uses for Raid as a bug killing cure-all tool.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #96 of 1,511
I basically dowsed my right wing mirror in insect spray this morning, than took it down to the car wash and sprayed the wing mirror like hell. Hope this fixes it.

On that note, how the hell do you keep your atom clean?

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #97 of 1,511
Quote:

Cryogenic treatment.

also, he has alfred, jarvis and few girls in french maid uniforms. they get the job DONE!

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #99 of 1,511
Quote:

Hmm, I need to get some girls in french maid uniforms to keep my car clean.

make sure they're actually girls though.
MarchingMule was trying to save money, and well, let's say they weren't exactly as advertised.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #100 of 1,511
Quote:

I basically dowsed my right wing mirror in insect spray this morning, than took it down to the car wash and sprayed the wing mirror like hell. Hope this fixes it.

You have to wash it carefully by hand. Most of the time is spent removing bug carcasses. Seriously. They don't have time to react. The body panels (such as they are) all come off, so you can wash them pretty easily without getting water where it shouldn't be going. Around the engine area, you just have to be careful and do everything by hand.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #102 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. Of course, I do miss the money. Especially during times like this!

Mine wasn't exactly a low budget Atom, but even after adding almost every option they offer (including carbon fiber everywhere, and engine, suspension and brakes upgrades), plus an extra set of wheels, a couple of sets of extra tires, and 6 different sets of body panels, I still have under $100k invested. It takes all my worries away every time I hop in it for a ride, so I guess it was worth it.

Wayne, weren't you originally planning to get it with one of the smaller engines instead of the full 300bhp enchilada? Also what tires are you using? (I've only seen Yokohama A048's in all the pics)

Ah, motorsports. It's what caused me to slack off on Head-Fi. I drive an '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. It's an absolutely wonderful car for most things. It drives very well, plenty of space, decent fuel economy if I can keep my foot off of the loud pedal, and in my opinion, it's one of the best looking sedans out there.

I started autocrossing in it this year and very quickly learned all my shortcomings and the car's. It may be a great car to drive on the roads, but under a competition setting, it's way too soft. I stuck with it though and learned so much about car control and how to properly drive this year. Next year, I'm planning to take a permanent codrive in a prepped CRX or Miata, but I haven't decided which one yet. If any of you are autocrossers and have any opinions, I'd love to hear them.

Oh, this really isn't my car, but my dad just picked up a 2008 M3 last week. I am bursting in anticipation of heading home in December and trying it out. No word yet on his driving impressions, but he's apparently enjoying it more than his previous 550i, which he considers the best car he's driven.

As far as watching motorsports go, I mainly watch F1 and ALMS (and the 24 Hours, of course). Favorite F1 team, Ferrari, followed by BMW Sauber. Favorite drivers, Massa, Kubica, Vettel. As far as ALMS goes, I'm conflicted. I'm not a fan of Audi street cars, but I like the Audi Sport racing team and their drivers. Same deal with the soon to be defunct GT1 class. I used to be a diehard Aston Martin fan, but ever since I actually realized how good Corvettes actually are, my allegiance is torn. Ok, that's enough rambling, I need to sleep...

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #103 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne, weren't you originally planning to get it with one of the smaller engines instead of the full 300bhp enchilada? Also what tires are you using? (I've only seen Yokohama A048's in all the pics)

That was the plan initially, but it changed rather quickly and then as time passed during the 7 month waiting period, I kept adding more and more frills until it was pretty much maxed out.

Quote:

Ah, motorsports. It's what caused me to slack off on Head-Fi. I drive an '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. It's an absolutely wonderful car for most things. It drives very well, plenty of space, decent fuel economy if I can keep my foot off of the loud pedal, and in my opinion, it's one of the best looking sedans out there.

Definitely nice looking. I've never read or heard much about them in terms of performance, however. Glad you're liking yours! Rarely have I met a Subaru that I didn't like.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #104 of 1,511
I remember when my sister was looking for a car and test drove the "new" Impreza hatch.

The automatic gearbox was the most stupid thing ever, and the interior was, frankly, rubbish. Compared to other cars like the Mazda 3, it was hopelessly cheap and ugly.

I've seen some of the new STis around, and tbh they don't look too bad. However, my ultimate Subaru would always be a 22B. Seeing one parked at the hospital where my sister works was drool-inducing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back