The Canon Thread
Jun 23, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #796 of 2,718
My lenses in order of tastes (1st is my favorate and the last one is least favorate):

135L->35L->85/1.8->24-70L->50/1.8->18-55

In order of frequency of usage:

35L->24-70L->18-55->85/1.8->50/1.8

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #797 of 2,718
I'm just getting back into it, post CanJam, and now have the following setup:

40D body
24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM
50L f/1.2L USM
70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

My first priority now is to get the ultra wide angle range covered. I'm planning to spend more and more time in the Western states as well as Alaska in years to come and really enjoy landscape photography. Having wide angle capabilities for low light indoor events is also a big draw. Here are the two I'm considering:

14mm f/2.8L II USM
16-35mm f2.8L II USM

The 14mm lens seems to be more highly regarded in terms of sharpness, and it gives an even wider FOV, but of course it also costs $700 more:

Canon | EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens | 2045B002 | B&H

Canon | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens | 1910B002 | B&H

The only drawback to the 14mm lens is that you can't put any filters on the blasted thing! Thus, I'd probably mess it up in no time. That has me quite concerned, so I'm kind of leaning toward the 16-35 zoom. Besides, I like to play with zoom lenses. Somehow that makes me feel like I know what I'm doing, whereas in reality the zoom feature very rarely makes any difference at all. You can always crop later.

My second priority will be to (one day, but maybe not soon) pick up a 1D body, either a 1D Mark III (for about $4k) or a 1Ds Mark III (for about $8k). Here, the price difference becomes much more relevant, and although I've read quite a bit about each body, I'm not sure I understand it all.

What I do understand is that the 10 fps burst rate on the 1D Mark III is a blast to play around with. One of the guys whom I was hanging out with a a track event last week let me shoot for a while with his 1D Mark III using the same telephoto lens I use (70-200 f/2.8L). As luck would have it, he put his Atom in a spin and I caught it all with just one burst.

Obviously, there are a lot of advantages to the 1Ds Mark III but I don't see the 21.1 megapixel thing as any big deal. I suppose that would matter a lot more for professionals who want to blow up their shots. I'm just wanting to grow into the hobby a little more and don't really have highly particularized needs (i.e., I don't see a whole lot of sense in buying a 1D or other FF body at THIS precise point in time, but know that I will one day... just because).

If the 1D Mark III was FF instead of a 1.3 crop, that would probably seal it for me. But even a 1.3 is a nice move in the right direction. Or maybe in another year or two a used 1Ds Mark III will cost considerably less than it does today.

My third priority would be (depending on if I go FF or 1.3) to get a couple more prime lenses to augment or possibly replace my 50mm f/1.2L. Here, I'm thinking of the 35mm f/1.4L USM, 85mm f/1.2L II USM and/or the 135mm f/2.0L USM. This is a distant priority and something I won't know until I've grown into hobby considerably more than I have at this time and can break down some situational needs (indoors, low light, portrait, sporting events, etc).

For now, I'm just trying to figure out what zoom lens to go with before I end up someplace like the Grand Canyon without one, and then start getting grumpy about the lost opportunity.

I'll keep the 40D in any event, as a 2nd body. It would be especially useful for long throw telephoto shots (Grand Canyon again). Using a 1.6 crop and a 1.4 or 2.0 extender gets you pretty far with the long end of a 70-200mm lens. It might not give you the same results as a 1D body and a 600mm or 800mm lens, but it would cost a lot less money and produce pretty decent results for just clowning around. That, and carrying those massive lenses around must be a real pain.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #798 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I can get it cheaper online, but in some aspects I think it's important to support you local store.

Yeah I agree with this. Luckily for me B&H, Adorama, and J&R are all local but they are such large places, I doubt they'd be doing "bad". Wolf is also not a small shop though. Well maybe their stores are but they have many of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My lenses in order of tastes (1st is my favorate and the last one is least favorate):

135L->35L->85/1.8->24-70L->50/1.8->18-55

In order of frequency of usage:

35L->24-70L->18-55->85/1.8->50/1.8

What happened to the 135L in frequency of usage? Yeah I like the 35L also. It's better to be wider and crop or move closer.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #799 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first priority now is to get the ultra wide angle range covered. I'm planning to spend more and more time in the Western states as well as Alaska in years to come and really enjoy landscape photography. Having wide angle capabilities for low light indoor events is also a big draw.

I'll keep the 40D in any event, as a 2nd body.

I would get Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 on this crop body of yours. Since you're going to keep the crop body, it's ok to get the Tokina. The 16-35 won't be ultra wide until you get to use full frame.

As for the other priorities, I won't really comment on those as that's an all in the future kind of thing and depends which direction you're going.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #800 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I agree with this. Luckily for me B&H, Adorama, and J&R are all local but they are such large places...

Lucky you are, you person...
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #801 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky you are, you person...
wink.gif

It's cool to have the selection but the vibe isn't the most positive in these places. That's why I prefer my local Ritz.

----------

I'm in love with the 135mm f/2. The subject isolation is great.
smily_headphones1.gif
Here's me playing with it in the store.

135l2dp5.jpg

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #802 of 2,718
I just got my first DSLR 1.5 weeks ago. Before this I was only P&S, but now I dove right into fully manual and I'm still learning my way around. I'm already in love with the control though. That and I rarely need my flash anymore, one charge gets me ~700 pictures.

IMG_0460.jpg

Canon XSi

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #804 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canon EF 50mm prime f/1.8. Yay or nay? I just have the basics (18-55 and 75-300). If nay, can you suggest something better in the price range?

Yay, can't be beat for the price really, superb subject isolation and sharpness by F2.8, great for portraits and low light

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #805 of 2,718
I was wondering something about the Canons.

The XTi has a built in dust cleaning feature on the sensor. I was wondering if anyone who has had one for more than a year, and who changes lenses frequently, has had an issue with dust on the sensor.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #806 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, can't be beat for the price really, superb subject isolation and sharpness by F2.8, great for portraits and low light

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted it for. I guess I have one more thing to add to my shopping list.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #807 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep. It's really quite awesome for portraits, especially outdoors with the aperture stopped down.

Quote:

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted it for. I guess I have one more thing to add to my shopping list.

And it's inexpensive, too!

Here are some samples of photos with the Nifty Fifty that I took on Monday (well, Monday in this part of the world).

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #808 of 2,718
Colours do seem a little subdued but yea for the price its hard to beat. Build quality is kinda off as it does tend to break easily. I've had 2 friends who had thier 50/1.8's break into 2 and 3 pieces..

Still it can double up as an awesome +20 filter
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #809 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my first DSLR 1.5 weeks ago.

Canon XSi

Nice congrats.

Quote:

Canon EF 50mm prime f/1.8. Yay or nay? I just have the basics (18-55 and 75-300). If nay, can you suggest something better in the price range?

There really isn't anything else in the price range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering something about the Canons.

The XTi has a built in dust cleaning feature on the sensor. I was wondering if anyone who has had one for more than a year, and who changes lenses frequently, has had an issue with dust on the sensor.

I have never cleaned the sensor since I've gotten it and there doesn't seem to be a dust problem. It's not the most effective dust cleaner (from reviews) but it seems to be doing something.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #810 of 2,718
Got my tripod and ball head coming soon. Went with a Feisol CT-3442 4 section carbon fiber and a Manfrotto 488RC4. I hear the plate is kind of big with this one but I had a head with the RC2 and was not too impressed with it.

Next up is probably my 70-200mm lens. Still no idea which to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back